Conservation of Momentum of a snow ball

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of conservation of momentum in a scenario where a 43-kg boy tosses a 0.75 kg ice ball with a horizontal speed of 6.2 m/s on a frictionless surface. The conversation includes steps to calculate the velocity of the boy after throwing the ice ball, and later suggests ignoring the girl's presence and focusing on the boy and ice ball separately to solve the problem.
gcombina
A 35-kg girl is standing near and to the left of a 43-kg boy on the frictionless surface of a frozen pond. The boy tosses a 0.75 kg ice ball to the girl with a horizontal speed of 6.2 m/s. What are the velocities of the boy and the girl immediately after the girl catches the ball?

I don't know how to approach this

(1) I have mass1 (girl) and mass2 (boy) , so that kind of tells me that I have to use conservation of momentum theorem.

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v (is this "v" 1 or 2?)

is this ok? if so, what else? I don't know what velocity

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you solve it if the problem was in two parts? The first part being...

1) A 43-kg boy on the frictionless surface of a frozen pond tosses a 0.75 kg ice ball with a horizontal speed of 6.2 m/s. What is the velocity of the boy after he throws it?

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+ m2)v

(35kg)(0) + (.75kg)(6.2 m/s) = ((43kg) + (0.75kg)) V
(4.65)=(43.75) V
v=.11m/s

Now, I am so confused about how to get the girls velocity

gcombina said:
m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1+ m2)v

(35kg)(0) + (.75kg)(6.2 m/s) = ((43kg) + (0.75kg)) V
(4.65)=(43.75) V
v=.11m/s

That is incorrect .

In the first part as suggested by CWatters ,the girl doesn't come in picture .The boy tosses the ice ball in air towards left .The girl hasn't caught it yet .Forget the girl .Think about ice ball and the boy .

Initial Momentum = Final momentum

Initial Momentum = 0

0 = m1v1+m2v2

Here m1 is ice ball and m2 is boy . v1 is velocity of the ice ball just after it leaves the boy and is in air .v2 is the velocity of the boy after it throws the ball .Take care of the signs .

What Tanya said. Ignore the girl and just apply conservation of momentum to the boy and ice ball. You don't care what happens to the ice ball after it's thrown, if it just landed on the ground it wouldn't effect what happens to the boy. eg the mass of the girl cannot affect what happens to the boy so her mass won't feature in the equations at this stage.

When you have solved the boy an ice ball part of the problem only then turn your attention to the girl and ice ball and forget about the boy.

Related to Conservation of Momentum of a snow ball

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum of a system before a collision or interaction will be equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a snow ball?

The conservation of momentum applies to a snow ball when it is thrown or rolled, as well as when it collides with another object. In these scenarios, the initial momentum of the snow ball will be equal to the final momentum, assuming there are no external forces acting on the snow ball during the interaction.

3. Why is the conservation of momentum important in the context of snow balls?

The conservation of momentum is important in the context of snow balls because it helps us understand and predict the motion of the snow ball. By knowing the initial momentum of the snow ball and the mass and velocity of the object it collides with, we can calculate the final momentum and determine the resulting motion of the snow ball.

4. How does the mass and velocity of a snow ball affect its momentum?

The momentum of a snow ball is directly proportional to both its mass and velocity. This means that a snow ball with a greater mass or velocity will have a greater momentum. In a collision, the momentum of the snow ball will be transferred to the object it collides with, resulting in a change in motion for both objects.

5. Does the conservation of momentum always hold true for a snow ball?

The conservation of momentum holds true for a snow ball as long as there are no external forces acting on it. In reality, there may be small external forces, such as air resistance, that can affect the momentum of a snow ball. However, these forces are usually negligible and can be ignored in most cases when considering the conservation of momentum.