Conservation of Momentum- Inelastic Collisions

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics student's task to gather intel on the Kinetic energy lost during a collision with a zombie's head. The student uses a crossbow modeled as a spring to shoot a dart at the zombie's head and calculates the initial and final kinetic energy, as well as the fractional amount of energy lost in the collision. The student also receives guidance and constructive criticism from other forum members.
Crusader711
1. This was a hard test question that I took partial credit on. I want to fully understand what I did wrong so that I’m fluid with the concept. I’m also new to this forum. I love constructive criticism too! lol
Zombie Apocalypse has arrived and the war has begun. Your task as a physics student is to gather intel on the Kinetic energy lost due to the collision of darts on their vulnerable heads. Your crossbow can be modeled as a spring with a 1500N/m constant that can be drawn back to a 32cm maximum. You shoot your 35.0 gram crossbow dart at the zombie's 5.1kg head, striking it horizontally level as fired from your position. The dart buries itself in the zombie's head, and the head slides back across the level table. The CIA needs the fractional amount of Kinetic energy lost in the collision compared to the initial kinetic energy, that is, [delta KE]/KEi

2. Homework Equations :
Crossbow Dart KE= 1/2kx^2
Conservation of Momentum
Before Collision- Pi= m1v1 + m2v2= kg/m/s
KEi= 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2= Joules
After Collision- P’= m1v1’ + m2v2’= kg/m/s
KEf= 1/2m1v1^2’ + 1/2m2v2^2’= Joules
…m1v1=(m1+m2)v2

3. I tried a few different things, more or less throwing mud on the wall to see what sticks at minimum. But here goes…
1. Crossbow Dart KE= ½(1500N/m)(0.32m)^2= 76.8J
2. Solve for V1, ½(0.035kg)(v)^2=(1500N/m)(0.32)^2
….Result 66.25 m/s
3. Solve for V2, (0.035kg)(66.25m/s)= (0.035kg + 5.1kg)v2
….Result 0.451557 m/s …0.45 m/s
4. This is where I think I’m lost…delta KE/KE? Up to this point I hope this is right?

Thank you all for the guidance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the final kinetic energy of the system? How much is lost?

The final KEf should be 1/2(m1+m2)v2^2, which we would subtract from the initial KEi= 1/2m1v1^2, then divide by the KEi?

Correct.

Awesome...so I'm looking at approx 74.728J/76.809J= 0.9729 which is my loss in Kinetic Energy. That wasn't too bad I suppose for a University Physics course student :-)

Thanks "voko"...I do appreciate the guidance.

You are welcome. And welcome to Physics Forums, too!

Related to Conservation of Momentum- Inelastic Collisions

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum of all objects before a collision is equal to the total momentum of all objects after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved and does not change during a collision.

2. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the kinetic energy of the colliding objects is not conserved. This means that some of the initial kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat, sound, or deformation of the objects involved.

3. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is conserved through the transfer of momentum between the colliding objects. The total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the system after the collision, even though the kinetic energy may change.

4. What is an example of an inelastic collision?

An example of an inelastic collision is a car accident. When two cars collide, the kinetic energy of the cars is not conserved, as some of the energy is lost through the deformation of the cars and the sound and heat produced. However, momentum is still conserved, as the total momentum of the two cars before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the conservation of momentum in an inelastic collision?

The mass of an object does not affect the conservation of momentum in an inelastic collision. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of all objects before and after the collision will be the same, regardless of their mass. However, the change in kinetic energy may vary depending on the mass of the objects involved.