Conservation of momentum and energy problem (Please check if my setup is right)

In summary: So in summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem using conservation of momentum and energy. The person has set up three equations with three unknowns and is asking for confirmation on their set-up before proceeding with the algebra.
Kinermatics

Homework Statement

Untitled_picture.jpg

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f (Conservation of momentum)
(1/2)m2*(v2i)^2 + (1/2)m1*(v1i)^2 = (1/2)m2*(v2f)^2 + (1/2)m1*(v1f)^2 (Conservation of energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the momentum into x and y components and got 2 equations
I used the conservation of energy (can be used since its elastic) and got another equation
-I have 3 unknowns and three equations...which gives me hope that this is solvable lol

Homework Statement

Here are my equations:
Momentum for x:
0 = m2*v2f*sin(theta) + m1*v1f*sin(75)
unknowns here: theta, v2f, v1f

Momentum for y:
m2*v2i = m2*v2f*cos(theta) + m1*v1f*cos(75)
unknowns here: theta, v2f, v1f

Conservation of energy equation:
(1/2)m2*(v2i)^2 = (1/2)m2*(v2f)^2 + (1/2)m1*(v1f)^2
unknowns here: v2f, v1fCan you guys see if these equations are right before I start using the tedious algebra involved in this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The x-momentum equation should have a minus sign before the first term, but other than that, your set-up looks fine.

oh so..
0 = -m2*v2f*sin(theta) + m1*v1f*sin(75)?
Minus sign just because it goes to the left right?
And thank you!

Right.

I can confirm that your setup and equations are correct for solving this conservation of momentum and energy problem. You have correctly identified the unknowns and have set up the equations to solve for them. Good luck with the algebra!

Related to Conservation of momentum and energy problem (Please check if my setup is right)

1. What is conservation of momentum and energy?

Conservation of momentum and energy refers to the fundamental physical law that states that the total momentum and energy of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that within a closed system, momentum and energy can be transferred and transformed, but the total amount will always remain the same.

2. How is conservation of momentum and energy applied in problem solving?

Conservation of momentum and energy can be applied in problem solving by using the principle that the total momentum and energy before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum and energy after the collision or interaction. This can be used to solve for unknown quantities in a system, such as the velocity or position of an object.

3. Can conservation of momentum and energy be violated?

No, conservation of momentum and energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been observed to hold true in all physical interactions. Any apparent violation of this law is due to incomplete information or external forces that are not accounted for in the system.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum and energy?

Some common examples of conservation of momentum and energy include a billiard ball collision, a pendulum swing, or a rolling ball on a frictionless surface. In these scenarios, the total momentum and energy of the system remains constant throughout the interaction.

5. What are the limitations of conservation of momentum and energy?

Conservation of momentum and energy is a macroscopic law that applies to the overall system and does not take into account microscopic interactions. It also assumes a closed system with no external forces acting on it. In reality, there may be external forces that cannot be accounted for, leading to some discrepancies between the theoretical and observed values.