Conservation of Momentum and Collisions

In summary, the total momentum of the system is 373 kNs, calculated by finding the momentum of each object (40,000 kNs for the lorry and 27,000 kNs for the car) and subtracting them. It is important to note that momentum is a vector quantity, so its direction must also be considered in the calculation. Additionally, the answer may vary depending on the relative positions of the car and lorry.
Charles W

Homework Statement

A lorry of mass 20,000kg is traveling at 20.0 metres per second. A car of mass 900kg is traveling at 30.0 metres per second towards the lorry.

What is the magnitude of the total momentum?

1. 209 kNs
2. 373 kNs
3. 427 kNs
4. 1045 kNs

2. Homework Equations

Linear Momentum = Mass * Velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to find the momentum of each object:

20, 000 * 20 = 40, 000 (for the lorry)
900 * 30 = 27, 000 (for the car)

UPDATE

Can't believe I made such a stupid mistake:

20, 000 * 20 = 400,000

Therefore: 400, 000 - 27, 000 = 373, 000 (Option 2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector quantity.

Vatsal Sanjay said:
Momentum is a vector quantity.
I am aware of that, but how does it help to solve this problem?

Charles W said:
Check your math (or calculator).

Orodruin said:
Check your math (or calculator).
That would probably be it - I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. I'll edit my original question

Charles W said:

I think you missed one zero
By the way my apologies, I didn't see you used a minus sign.

Vatsal Sanjay said:
I think you missed one zero
By the way my apologies, I didn't see you used a minus sign.
No worries! Thanks for your help :)

Also note that, as stated, there is not one definite answer. It depends on whether the car is in front of or behind the lorry, since these would imply different directions for "towards the lorry".

Likes Charles W and Vatsal Sanjay

Related to Conservation of Momentum and Collisions

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. The total momentum of the system before and after the collision is still equal, but the total kinetic energy is less after the collision.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to real-life situations?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all interactions and collisions, from the microscopic level to the macroscopic level. It is used to explain the behavior of objects in motion, such as the trajectory of a rocket or the impact of a car crash. The law of conservation of momentum is also important in fields such as engineering and transportation, where understanding and predicting the effects of collisions is crucial.