Conservation of momentum 2 step problem

So it would be m1v1initial = (m1+m2)Vf, where Vf is the final velocity when the bullet has pushed the block up the incline. Then you can use the same equation as before to solve for Vf. In summary, the problem involves a block being released from rest on a frictionless incline. After falling a vertical distance of 0.905m, a bullet is fired into the block and momentarily brings it to rest. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the speed of the bullet just before impact can be found to be 14.4686 m/s. To find the speed of the bullet that would push the block all the way back up the incline, additional considerations must be
Maiia

Homework Statement

A 0.0854 kg block is released from rest from the top of a 25.8◦ frictionless incline. When
it has fallen a vertical distance of 0.905 m, a 0.0164 kg bullet is fired into the block along a
path parallel to the slope of the incline, and momentarily brings the block to rest, stopping in the block. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. Find the speed of the bullet just before impact. Answer in units of m/s.

I was hoping someone could check my work because I seem to be getting the wrong answer...

What I did:
1. found the height of the incline
sin25.8=x/.905m
x=.3938841449m

mgh=1/2mv^2
[tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]=v
v= 2.778512055m/s

2. used conservation of momentum
m1= block
m2=bullet
After having fallen the .905m
m1v1initial+m2v2initial= m1+m2(Vf)
because Vf=0
m1v1initial= m2v2initial
so plugging in m1= .0854kg m2=.0164kg v1=2.778512055m/s
i got v2= 14.46859326m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't they conveniently already provided you with the drop in height? Won't kinetic energy of the block be the .905*m*g then? And your V2 = 2*g*.905 ?

oh..i didn't read the problem carefully enough and assumed they were giving me the amount it was falling on the slope. Thanks for your help :)

oh, if i wanted to find the speed of the bullet that would push the block all the way back up the incline back to its initial position, would i be able to do this? :
1/2m1v^2= m2gh
mass1 i am denoting as mass of bullet
m2 i am denoting as combined mass
so vbullet= squareroot of (2*.1018*9.8*.905/ .0164) ?
my reasoning being that the ke of bullet is converted to pe needed to push block back up incline?

If you mean additional amount of energy (more than just stopping it), you should also consider that you need to add the mass of the bullet to the total mass pushed up the incline.

Related to Conservation of momentum 2 step problem

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a collision or interaction between objects, the total momentum before and after the event will be the same.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is: p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The SI unit for momentum is kg⋅m/s.

3. What is a 2 step conservation of momentum problem?

A 2 step conservation of momentum problem involves a situation where two objects collide and then separate, resulting in a change in their velocities. This type of problem requires using the conservation of momentum principle and solving a system of equations to find the velocities of the objects before and after the collision.

4. What are the key steps to solving a 2 step conservation of momentum problem?

The key steps to solving a 2 step conservation of momentum problem are:

• Identify the initial and final momenta of the objects involved.
  • Apply the conservation of momentum principle by setting the initial momentum equal to the final momentum.
  • Set up and solve a system of equations to find the unknown velocities of the objects.
  • Check your answer by plugging in the calculated velocities into the original equation for momentum.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. This principle has been tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations. However, in some cases, it may seem like momentum is not conserved due to external forces or factors not taken into account in the problem.