Conservation of Energy, Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the problem involves a 0.200-m uniform bar with a mass of 0.790 kg and a spring constant of k = 20.0 N/m. The bar is released from rest in the vertical position and strikes a horizontal surface. Using the equations for potential and kinetic energy, the tangential speed at which end A strikes the surface can be calculated. However, in the attempt at a solution, the kinetic energy of the bar's center-of-mass was omitted, resulting in an incorrect answer.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 0.200-m uniform bar has a mass of 0.790 kg and is released from rest in the vertical position, as the drawing indicates. The spring is initially unstrained and has a spring constant of k = 20.0 N/m. Find the tangential speed with which end A strikes the horizontal surface.
10_60.gif

Homework Equations

Eup=mgh=Edown=.5Iw2+.5ky2

[tex]\sqrt{3(mgL-ky^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sqrt{.1^{2}+.2^{2}}-.1=.124[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{3(.79 kg)(9.8 m/s/s)(.2 m)-(20 N/m)(.124 m)^{2}}{.790}}=2.343 m/s[/tex]

I think that I went about this the right way and simply made an arithmetic error or plugged in something incorrect. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I must have this assignment completed by midnight.

Attachments

• 10_60.gif
    10_60.gif
    5 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any suggestions?

Just saw this, looks like it's too late.

In the energy equation, you omitted the kinetic energy of the bar's center-of-mass, (1/2)mv2. (v is the velocity of the center of the bar.)

Redbelly98 said:
Just saw this, looks like it's too late.

In the energy equation, you omitted the kinetic energy of the bar's center-of-mass, (1/2)mv2. (v is the velocity of the center of the bar.)

Thank you, I appreciate the help anyway so that I can do the problems in the future. I was able to turn in that problem later for partial credit - a friend helped me.

:]

Related to Conservation of Energy, Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the conservation of energy apply to simple harmonic motion?

In simple harmonic motion, the total mechanical energy (sum of kinetic and potential energies) of a system remains constant. This means that as the object moves back and forth, the energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential energy, but the total amount remains the same.

3. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven through numerous experiments. It holds true in all physical systems and cannot be violated.

4. Is simple harmonic motion the same as periodic motion?

No, simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion, but not all periodic motion is simple harmonic. Simple harmonic motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

5. How is the conservation of energy related to the concept of potential energy?

Potential energy is a form of stored energy that is associated with the position or configuration of a system. In simple harmonic motion, the potential energy is stored in the spring or restoring force, and as the object moves back and forth, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, while the total energy remains constant.