Conservation of energy, object at rest

In summary: So, K1+U1=K2+U2 assuming the object eventually comes to a rest...You haven't defined what K and U are but never mind.
oldspice1212
Hey,

Say we have an object released at rest, separated by a certain distance..blah, blah, blah. When we use conservation of energy here, the kinetic energy would have a initial velocity right?
So, K1+U1=K2+U2 assuming the object eventually comes to a rest...so U1 = 0, K2 = 0, so we would have K1 = U2 right, unfortunately I am unable to find some problems similar to such and would like to know if my thinking is correct, thanks :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
oldspice1212 said:
am unable to find some problems similar to such and would like to know if my thinking is correct, thanks :)!
Sounds like you want to determine how high a ball thrown vertically upwards will fly, based on its initial speed. You can use your approach to derive a general formula.

Likes oldspice1212
Yes, sort of, I was thinking more so for planetary motions, so let's say: If two masses are separated by a radius...and released from rest, I would say the same thing applies right?

oldspice1212 said:
Yes, sort of, I was thinking more so for planetary motions, so let's say: If two masses are separated by a radius...and released from rest, I would say the same thing applies right?
Yes, ignoring air resistance, the ball will come back down with the same speed, as it was thrown up.

Likes oldspice1212
oldspice1212 said:
So, K1+U1=K2+U2 assuming the object eventually comes to a rest...so U1 = 0, K2 = 0, so we would have K1 = U2 right
Nope. Velocity(U1) is not a form of energy. Energy associated with motion is kinetic energy. Therefore K1 ≠ U1.

For calculating the speeds of objects in various contexts, you can use the following kinematic formulas:
1) at = v-u
2) S = 0.5at² + ut
3) 2aS = v²-u²

Last edited:
oldspice1212 said:
Hey,

Say we have an object released at rest, separated by a certain distance..blah, blah, blah. When we use conservation of energy here, the kinetic energy would have a initial velocity right?
This is pretty much all "blah, blah, blah". You have an object, "separated by a certain distance"- from what? Did you mean two objects? Are they attracted to one another by gravity or an electric force? And kinetic energy is NOT an object so does NOT have a velocity!

So, K1+U1=K2+U2 assuming the object eventually comes to a rest...so U1 = 0, K2 = 0, so we would have K1 = U2 right, unfortunately I am unable to find some problems similar to such and would like to know if my thinking is correct, thanks :)!
It would help if you told us what "K1", "U1", "K2", and "U2" mean. I might guess that "K1" and "K2" are kinetic energy but what are "U1" and "U2"? Because of "conservation of energy" I would think "potential energy" but then there is no reason for potential energy to be 0 when the object is at rest. If you mean U1 and U2 to be speeds, you cannot add energy and speed.

I think you need to review basic definitions and formulas.

oldspice1212 said:
Hey,

KE doesn't "have a velocity".

You said the object was released at rest so it's velocity is zero and it's KE is zero.

So, K1+U1=K2+U2 assuming the object eventually comes to a rest...

You haven't defined what K and U are but never mind.

Just before they collide the sum of their potential and kinetic energy will be the same as they started with.

It's more difficult to include what happens after the collision. Some of the energy in the system might be turned into heat or chemical bonds. All you can say is that the sum of all energy in the system is conserved.

Edit: If you look up inelastic collisions you will see statements that say energy is not conserved. That's because they are only considering the conservation of KE or PE not other forms of energy such as thermal or chemical. If you draw the right boundary around your system and include all forms of energy then energy is always conserved.

Likes oldspice1212
Hey CW, sorry this question was very vague I agree as I look at it now.

But, you said KE doesn't have a velocity? Are you just saying that because initially the system was at rest (so KE = 0)? Because KE = 1/2mv^2.

All I meant is that in general Energy doesn't have velocity. It's objects that have velocity and as a result the object has kinetic energy.

Likes oldspice1212

Related to Conservation of energy, object at rest

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

What is an object at rest?

An object at rest is an object that is not in motion and has a constant velocity of zero. This means that the object's position does not change over time.

Why is it important to conserve energy?

Conserving energy is important because energy is a limited and valuable resource. By conserving energy, we can reduce our impact on the environment and save money on energy costs.

How does an object at rest conserve energy?

An object at rest conserves energy because it does not use any energy to move or change its position. The object's energy remains constant and is not transferred or transformed into other forms.

Can an object at rest have potential energy?

Yes, an object at rest can have potential energy. Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Even though the object is not in motion, it still has the potential to move and therefore has potential energy.