Conservation of Energy in Mechanics for Point Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the equation mv . dv/dt = -mgv . ez to d/dt 1/2mv2 = -mg dz/dt. The right side is simplified using the fact that v . ez = dz/dt. The left side is simplified using the derivative rule for v^2. However, the question remains about the 1/2 term and how the d/dt is pulled out from the v.
Bucho
Reading "Atmospheric Thermodynamics" I'm stumped almost as soon as I've started. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew and this also might even be more of a math question than a physics one but where I'm stuck is where they "simplify" from:

mv . dv/dt = -mgv . ez (where ez is a unit vector on the z-axis and the dots signify scalar multiplication by v)

to

d/dt 1/2mv . v = d/dt 1/2 mv2 = -mg dz/dtWhat I do get is that on the right we have v . ez = dz/dt, since velocity is the derivative of displacement (z) with respect to time.

What I don't get is the operation on the left by which the d/dt is just magically pulled out, leaving the v behind to work its own kind of magic on the other v. The text simply says "This equation can be simplified:" so I guess the authors presume a reader of more skill than I currently have in terms of playing with derivatives. What is it about a derivative that allows that d/dt to be stripped of its v and yanked out in front like that? And where the heck does that 1/2 appear from?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is just the derivative
[tex] \dfrac{dv^2}{dt} = 2 v \dfrac{dv}{dt} [/tex]
Which comes from the rule
[tex] \dfrac{d f(t)^\alpha}{dt} = \alpha f(t)^{\alpha-1} \dfrac{df(t)}{dt} [/tex]

Thanks Matteo, that's somewhat familiar but I'm so rusty on this stuff it's not funny.

Related to Conservation of Energy in Mechanics for Point Mass

1. What is the law of conservation of energy in mechanics for point mass?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This applies to point masses, which are objects with negligible size and shape.

2. How is energy conserved in a system of point masses?

In a system of point masses, the total energy remains constant as long as there is no external force acting on the system. This means that any changes in the energy of one point mass will be offset by changes in the energy of the other point masses in the system.

3. What are the different forms of energy that can be conserved in a system of point masses?

In a system of point masses, the types of energy that can be conserved include kinetic energy, potential energy, and thermal energy. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, potential energy is stored energy due to position or configuration, and thermal energy is the energy associated with the random motion of particles.

4. How is the conservation of energy in mechanics for point mass related to Newton's laws of motion?

The law of conservation of energy in mechanics for point mass is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by a force. The second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. These laws help to explain how energy is conserved in a system of point masses.

5. What are some real-world applications of the conservation of energy in mechanics for point mass?

The law of conservation of energy in mechanics for point mass has many real-world applications, including calculating the motion of objects in collisions, predicting the behavior of particles in a gas, and understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies in space. It is also essential in the design of machines and structures, as engineers must ensure that energy is conserved to prevent failures or accidents.