Conservation of Energy in Elastic Collisions: Solving for Initial Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an explosion of a 2 kg object and the resulting velocities of two particles. There are two possible approaches to solving the problem - using either the kinetic energy or momentum equations. One person suggests using momentum conservation in both the x and y directions, while another suggests solving in terms of compass points instead of x and y. The correct answer is 4.00 m/s, and the conversation also mentions confusion with a wrong answer of 4.12 m/s.
joejoe333
Hello all,

On our test today the question said, "An 2 Kg object is moving along the x-axis and explodes, with particle 1, 1 Kg, shooting north at 3 m/s, and particle 2, 1 Kg, traveling 30 degrees north of east at 5 m/s. What was the initial velocity of the object?"

Now I was talking with a friend, and we each came up with two answers:
Would you treat it like an elastic collision, and if so, would you use the kinetic energy or momentum equations?

kinetic energy: ((m1v1i)^2)/2 + ((m2v2i)^2)/2 = ((m1v1f)^2)/2 + ((m2v2f)^2)/2

(2)(v1^2)/2 = (4.5) + (12.5)

v1 = 4.12

OR

m1v1i = m1v1f + m2v2f
2vi = 3 + 5
vi = 4

OR

Would you turn the problem into a triangle; since the velocity is 3 m/s going straight north, and 5 m/s 30 degrees north of east, you can turn it into a right triangle, and the missing side would have to be 4 m/s.

This question has been bugging me all day, until I finally decided to find this site, register, and ask you guys! haha. The answer of 4.00 m/s seems more reasonable, but it's weird that when you use the kinetic energy conservation equation that it ends up as 4.12 and not 4.00. Thank you in advance!

-Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no collision. It's a momentum conservation problem. Simply use that fact for both the x and y direction.

Except that, if the original object was moving on the x-axis, with no northward component of velocity, the two products of the explosion cannot have a net northward component as here.

Your calculation:
m1v1i = m1v1f + m2v2f
2vi = 3 + 5
vi = 4
is incorrect- you are treating this as if all velocities were due east. The velocities are not in the same direction.

So is 4.11 a wrong answer, as well? Sorry, I'm kind of a n00b, I'm just in 1081 and my professor is straight from China and has an extrememly heavy accent so I have no clue what he says when I talk to him. What you guys are saying, though, is that I would have to solve the both the y and x directions of momentum?

joejoe333 said:
So is 4.11 a wrong answer, as well? Sorry, I'm kind of a n00b, I'm just in 1081 and my professor is straight from China and has an extrememly heavy accent so I have no clue what he says when I talk to him. What you guys are saying, though, is that I would have to solve the both the y and x directions of momentum?
There was no need to mention an x-axis in the problem. We tend to think of the x-axis pointing East because of the way we draw maps, but in this problem the x-axis could not possibly have been East. The answer is found, as others have said, by finding both components of momentum before and after the explosion, but since the final velocies are given relative to compass points, do the problem in terms of compass points and forget about x and y.

Related to Conservation of Energy in Elastic Collisions: Solving for Initial Velocity

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the practice of using energy efficiently and reducing unnecessary energy consumption. This can include actions such as turning off lights when leaving a room, using energy-efficient appliances, and utilizing renewable energy sources.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to reduce energy waste and lower greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. It also helps to conserve natural resources and save money on energy bills.

What are some ways to conserve energy at home?

Some ways to conserve energy at home include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient light bulbs, properly insulating your home, and using a programmable thermostat to regulate temperature.

How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation benefits the environment by reducing the demand for fossil fuels, which are major contributors to air and water pollution. It also helps to preserve natural resources and protect ecosystems that may be impacted by energy production.

What role do individuals play in energy conservation?

Individuals play a crucial role in energy conservation by making small changes in their daily habits and choices. By being mindful of energy use and making efforts to reduce consumption, individuals can contribute to a larger effort to conserve energy and protect the environment.