Conservation of energy in a wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of energy in a rolling wheel without slipping on a plane. The main question is whether or not the static friction force does any work, which could affect the conservation of energy. It is determined that the force does not succeed in moving the surfaces in relation to each other, therefore energy is conserved. There is some confusion about the role of static force and its relation to energy and molecular structure, but it is clarified that rolling resistance, not friction, is responsible for any losses in energy.
paalfis

Homework Statement

[/B]
A wheel rolls without slipping on a plane, what magnitudes are conserved?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't know if the static friction force does any work. Energy won't be conserved if it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction is a force between two surfaces in contact. When a force does work, what equation tells you how much work is done?

Linear integral of scalar product between force and the direction of motion. But does THIS force does any work? Because after all, it is static, but its point of action is changing with time, that is my confusion.

paalfis said:
Linear integral of scalar product between force and the direction of motion. But does THIS force does any work? Because after all, it is static, but its point of action is changing with time, that is my confusion.
The force is 'trying' to move the surfaces in relation to each other. Does it succeed?

No it doesn't. Ok, so energy is conserved. Energy won't be conserved if there is any slipping between the surfaces, correct?
This is not so intuitive to me because I think static force as 'pressure' applied by each body to the other body, somehow using energy to change the molecular state of the other body's structure, why is this wrong?

paalfis said:
Energy won't be conserved if there is any slipping between the surfaces, correct?
Correct.
paalfis said:
I think static force as 'pressure' applied by each body to the other body, somehow using energy to change the molecular state of the other body's structure
There is some truth in that. In the case of a rolling wheel, there are losses associated with the deformation of the road and wheel as the load shifts. But this is referred to as rolling resistance, not friction. It is generally ignored in 'school', in the same way that air drag is ignored in most ballistics questions.

Related to Conservation of energy in a wheel

1. What is conservation of energy in a wheel?

Conservation of energy in a wheel is a physical principle that states that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant, even as it undergoes various transformations. In the case of a wheel, energy can be conserved through its rotational motion.

2. How does a wheel conserve energy?

A wheel conserves energy through its rotational motion. As the wheel turns, kinetic energy is transferred from the axle to the rim of the wheel, keeping the total amount of energy in the system constant.

3. Why is conservation of energy important in a wheel?

Conservation of energy is important in a wheel because it allows the wheel to continue rotating without slowing down or stopping due to friction or other external forces. This makes it an efficient mechanism for transportation and other mechanical systems.

4. What factors can affect conservation of energy in a wheel?

The conservation of energy in a wheel can be affected by factors such as the mass and shape of the wheel, the surface it is rolling on, and the amount of friction present in the system. These factors can impact the amount of energy transferred and the efficiency of the wheel.

5. How is conservation of energy in a wheel related to other laws of physics?

Conservation of energy in a wheel is related to other laws of physics, such as the law of inertia and the laws of motion. These laws explain how the wheel maintains its rotational motion and how the energy is conserved despite external forces acting on the system.