Conservation of Elastic and Gravitation Energy - 2

In summary: When the jumper is at maximum stretch, the spring force is equal to the weight of the jumper, so the net force is zero. In this case, the acceleration would be zero as well. As the jumper falls, the spring force continues to decrease until it reaches zero at the unstretched length of the cord. At this point, the net force is equal to just the weight of the jumper, so the acceleration is just the acceleration due to gravity. To find the maximum acceleration experienced by the jumper, we need to find the net force at the maximum stretch and divide by the mass. This gives us the equation:kx - mg = maWhere x is the maximum stretch of the cord, k is the
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A 70 kg bungee jumper jumps from a bridge. She is tied to a bungee cord whose unstretched length is 13 m , and falls a total of 37 m .

Calculate the spring stiffness constant of the bungee cord, assuming Hooke's law applies.

88 N/M

Calculate the maximum acceleration she experiences.

Homework Equations

Spring Force = -k * x
F = m * a

The Attempt at a Solution

Spring Force = (88 N/M)(24 m)

I used 24 m because that was the maximum stretch of the cord.
Spring Force = 2,112 N

a = F / m
a = (2112 N) / (70 kg)
a = 88 m/s^2
I added 9.8 m/s^2 because she was in free fall.
a = 97.8 m/s^2

Could someone explain why this is incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
a = (2112 N) / (70 kg)
a = 88 m/s^2
I get 30, not 88.
Why add 9.8? My thinking is that
F = ma
kx - mg = ma
a = kx/m - g
Maximum (upward) acceleration is when x is at its maximum but
9.8 would be subtracted rather than added.

I made a typo on the acceleration, oops. I added 9.8 m/s^2 because I thought the jumper was moving in the same direction as gravity as she jumped. Could you explain why you subtracted?

Last edited:
kx - mg = ma
The spring force kx is upward. Gravity mg is downward.

I would like to clarify that the calculation provided is not entirely incorrect, but it is missing a few key factors. Firstly, the maximum stretch of the cord should be 37 m, not 24 m. This is the total distance the bungee cord stretches from its unstretched length of 13 m. Secondly, Hooke's law states that the spring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position, not the total stretch distance. Therefore, the spring force should be calculated using the stretch distance of 24 m, not 37 m.

Taking these factors into account, the correct calculation for the spring force would be 88 N/m * 24 m = 2112 N.

Furthermore, the maximum acceleration experienced by the bungee jumper is not simply the total acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) added to the spring force divided by the mass. This is because the bungee cord also provides a force in the opposite direction to the acceleration due to gravity.

To calculate the maximum acceleration, we can use the equation F_net = ma, where F_net is the net force acting on the bungee jumper and a is the maximum acceleration. The net force in this case would be the spring force (2112 N) minus the weight of the bungee jumper (70 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 686 N).

Therefore, F_net = 2112 N - 686 N = 1426 N.

Finally, using the equation F_net = ma, we can solve for a:

1426 N = (70 kg) * a

a = 1426 N / 70 kg = 20.37 m/s^2

This is the maximum acceleration experienced by the bungee jumper, which is significantly less than the value calculated in the original attempt.

In conclusion, it is important to take into account the correct displacement and use the proper equations when solving for the spring stiffness constant and maximum acceleration in a situation involving elastic and gravitational energy conservation.

Related to Conservation of Elastic and Gravitation Energy - 2

1. What is the difference between elastic and gravitational potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its deformation or compression, such as a stretched spring. Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field.

2. How is the conservation of energy applied to elastic and gravitational systems?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In elastic and gravitational systems, this means that the total amount of energy remains constant, but it may be converted between elastic potential energy and gravitational potential energy.

3. Can energy be lost in a system with elastic and gravitational components?

No, energy is always conserved in a closed system. In the case of elastic and gravitational systems, energy may be converted from one form to another, but the total amount of energy remains the same.

4. How does height affect gravitational potential energy?

The higher an object is positioned in a gravitational field, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because it has a greater potential to fall and convert its potential energy into kinetic energy.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the conservation of elastic and gravitational energy in a system?

Yes, the total energy in a system with both elastic and gravitational components can be calculated using the formula: Etotal = Eelastic + Egravitational = 1/2kx^2 + mgh, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the elastic object, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in the gravitational field.