Conservation of Angular Momentum in a Sling Experiment

In summary, a girl exerts a force on a rock in a sling, causing it to increase in speed while spinning above her head. The angular momentum of the rock is conserved unless an external torque is applied. The force exerted on the rock has components both tangential and normal to its velocity, leading to an increase in angular momentum. This is supported by the fact that the speed increases while the string length remains constant, indicating that there is a change in angular velocity.
ltl94
Homework Statement
A girl places a rock in a sling and begins spinning it in a circular path above her head. By exerting a force on the sling, she increases the rock's speed while it goes around her head a few times, before releasing the rock. Options:
1. She exerts a force on the rock that is both parallel to and normal to its velocity. The angular momentum of the rock is constant.
2. She exerts a force on the rock that is parallel to its velocity. The angular momentum of the rock increases.
3. She exerts a force on the rock that is normal to the direction of its velocity. The angular momentum of the rock is constant.
4. She exerts a force on the rock that has components both tangential and normal to the rock's velocity. The angular momentum of the rock increases.

The attempt at a solution
Angular momentum in an orbit is conserved, unless an external torque is applied. And it seems most forces in physics occur in tangential and normal vectors, so the only part I'm not sure of is if the force exerted increases the angular momentum, which I believe it does. So my choice is #4 but I don't want to be thinking it through incorrectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
ltl94 said:
The only part I'm not sure of is if the force exerted increases the angular momentum,
You are told the speed increases. Does the string length change? What does that tell you about angular momentum?

Related to Conservation of Angular Momentum in a Sling Experiment

1. What is the definition of angular momentum of a sling?

The angular momentum of a sling is the measure of the rotational motion of the sling as it is being swung around an axis.

2. How is the angular momentum of a sling calculated?

The angular momentum of a sling can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the sling by its angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a sling?

The angular momentum of a sling is affected by the mass, shape, and speed of the sling as well as the length and material of the sling.

4. How does the angular momentum of a sling change during the throwing motion?

During the throwing motion, the angular momentum of the sling increases as the sling is being swung and then decreases as the sling is being released.

5. What is the significance of angular momentum in a sling?

The angular momentum of a sling is important because it determines the speed and trajectory of the projectile being launched from the sling. It also plays a role in the accuracy and distance of the projectile's flight.