Conservation of 4-Momentum in a 2 Particle Collision

In summary, the conversation discussed the conservation of four-momentum in a collision between two particles, A and B, with the same rest mass. The particles have different velocities before and after the collision, and the goal is to show that the product of the cotangents of the angles of their velocities is equal to half the sum of their respective Lorentz factors. The conversation also defined the 4-momentum of a massive particle and discussed the use of this concept in the conservation equation. The solution involves eliminating the variables a and b using the given equations and then simplifying the resulting equation through algebraic manipulation. It is possible that there is a shortcut for solving this problem, but it was not apparent in this conversation.
masudr

Homework Statement

Two particles, A and B, have the same rest mass, m. Suppose that, in O, A has 3-velocity (V,0,0) and B is at rest. The particles collide elastically at the origin and after the collision A has 3-velocity [itex](a \cos(\theta), a \sin(\theta),0)[/itex] while B has 3-velocity [itex](b \cos(\phi), -b \sin(\phi),0)[/itex], where [itex]a, b, \theta, \phi[/itex] are constants.

Define the 4-momentum of a massive particle. By using conservation of 4-momentum in the above collision, show that

[tex]\cot(\theta)\cot(\phi) = \frac{1}{2}(\gamma(V)+1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I defined the 4-momentum as follows

[tex]P^a = m_0 \frac{dx^a}{d\tau} = \gamma(u) m_0 (c, \vec{u}) = (E/c, \vec{p})[/tex]

which defines the energy and momentum as [itex]E= \gamma m_0 c^2 \mbox{ and }\vec{p} =\gamma m_0 \vec{u}[/itex] respectively.

I wrote the conservation of four-momentum equation as (the masses don't appear as they cancel out)

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(V) c \\
\gamma(V) V \\
0 \\
0 \end{bmatrix}

+

\begin{bmatrix}
c \\
0 \\
0 \\
0 \end{bmatrix}

=

\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(a) c \\
\gamma(a) a \cos(\theta) \\
\gamma(a) a \sin(\theta) \\
0 \end{bmatrix}

+

\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma(b) c \\
\gamma(b) b \cos(\phi) \\
-\gamma(b) b \sin(\phi) \\
0 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation in the zeroth component gave me

[tex]\gamma(V) + 1 = \gamma(a) + \gamma(b)[/tex]

Aha! I thought. All I now need to show is that the products of the cotangents will be twice the above sum, and I'm done.

To get the cotangent of each angle, I divided the cosine of it by the sine of it. This is fairly straightforward from the equation above. So I got

[tex]\cot(\theta) = \frac{\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)} = \frac{\gamma(V) V - \gamma(b) b \cos(\phi)}{\gamma(b) b \sin(\phi)},
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,
\cot(\phi) = \frac{\cos(\phi)}{\sin(\phi)} = \frac{\gamma(V) V - \gamma(a) a \cos(\theta)}{\gamma(a) a \sin(\theta)}[/tex]

So I did what any sane man would do, and multiplied them together to get

[tex]\cot(\theta)\cot(\phi) = \frac{\gamma(V)^2 V^2 - \gamma(b)\gamma(V) b V \cos(\phi) - \gamma(a)\gamma(V) a V \cos(\theta) + \gamma(a)\gamma(b) a b \cos(\theta)\cos(\phi)}{ab\gamma(a)\gamma(b)\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)}.[/tex]

Any amount of playing around with this fraction, and using the identity [itex]\gamma(u)^2(c^2-u^2)=c^2[/itex] didn't get me any closer to the answer. I was looking to equate the horrible-looking fraction above to [itex]1/2(\gamma(a)+\gamma(b))[/itex] but have had no luck so far.

Thank you for taking the time to read the somewhat long question. Just for context, this is part of a question from a past paper (3rd year undergraduate Maths at Oxford).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't try to just do everything at one. Realize that each equation allows you to eliminate one variable of your choice. Since there are five variables, and 3 of them appear in the final equation, this tells you which ones you need to get rid of: a and b.

From the last two equations you can derive:

[tex] a \gamma_a = \frac{v \gamma_v}{\sin(\theta) (cot(\theta)+\cot(\phi))} [/tex]

And a similar equation for b by switching [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. Then using:

[tex]\gamma_a=\sqrt{ (a \gamma_a)^2 + 1 } [/tex]

You can eliminate a and b in the first equation. From there it's just a lot of algebra that I'll let you work on.

Since the final equation is so simple, I'm guessing there's some shortcut, but I don't see it. Often you won't realize the shortcut until you do it the hard way. Then at least you can use it in the write up, or when a similar problem comes up again.

Last edited:

Related to Conservation of 4-Momentum in a 2 Particle Collision

What is a SR: 2 particle collision?

A SR: 2 particle collision refers to a collision between two particles that occurs in a special relativity (SR) framework. Special relativity is a theory that describes how objects behave at high speeds and in the absence of gravitational forces.

What particles are involved in a SR: 2 particle collision?

The particles involved in a SR: 2 particle collision can vary, but they are typically subatomic particles such as protons or electrons. These particles are accelerated to high speeds and then collide with each other in a controlled environment.

How is a SR: 2 particle collision studied?

Scientists study SR: 2 particle collisions using particle accelerators, which are large machines that accelerate particles to high speeds and then collide them together. The debris from these collisions is then studied using detectors to gather information about the particles and their interactions.

What can we learn from studying SR: 2 particle collisions?

Studying SR: 2 particle collisions can provide valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern their behavior. It can also help us understand the origins of the universe and how it evolved over time.

Are there any real-world applications for SR: 2 particle collisions?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for studying SR: 2 particle collisions. These include medical applications such as cancer treatment and imaging, as well as industrial applications such as developing new materials and improving energy production.