Conservation Laws - conceptual help

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of an astronaut being stranded due to a malfunctioning "maneuvering unit" while working with tools some distance away from the spacecraft. The question posed is how can the astronaut return to the spacecraft by sacrificing some of the tools. The conversation then delves into the concept of Newton's third law and how throwing the tools in a certain direction can use the force to move the astronaut towards the spacecraft. The importance of understanding the direction and number of forces at play is emphasized.
Sabres151
Here's the question:

"An astronnaut working with many tools some distance away from a spacecraft is stranded when the "manueving unit" malfunctions. How can the astronaut return to the spacecraft by sacrificing some of the tools?"

I don't quite understand what they're getting at here. The best I could relate this to was the conservation law...:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about shooting a rifle, what happens to your shoulder. Now how can you relate that to Newtons 3rd law. If you need more help, ask, I am just trying to make you think :)

Checkfate said:
Think about shooting a rifle, what happens to your shoulder. Now how can you relate that to Newtons 3rd law. If you need more help, ask, I am just trying to make you think :)

I see, so it's referencing an issue relating to force rather than a law. So, the astronaut would need to throw the tools which in turn the tool being thrown offers a force back on the astronaut causing him to move towards the craft...

Last edited:

Related to Conservation Laws - conceptual help

1. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state that certain properties of a physical system remain constant over time. These properties can include energy, momentum, angular momentum, and charge.

2. Why are conservation laws important?

Conservation laws are important because they provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. They also allow us to make accurate calculations and predictions about the outcomes of physical processes.

3. How do conservation laws relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are a set of principles that govern the behavior of energy in a system. Conservation laws are a subset of the laws of thermodynamics, as they describe the conservation of energy and other properties in a closed system.

4. Are conservation laws always true?

Conservation laws are considered to be fundamental truths in physics and have been extensively tested and verified through experiments. However, they may not apply in certain extreme conditions, such as in the presence of strong gravitational fields or at the subatomic level.

5. Can conservation laws be violated?

In the past, there have been instances where it appeared that conservation laws were violated, but upon further investigation, it was found that there were other factors at play. As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that conservation laws can be violated in a closed system.