Connection between root and branch

In summary, the color of flowers on Hydrangea depends upon the pH of the soil in which it is planted.
Jimmy Snyder
It is rather well known that the color of flowers on Hydrangea depends upon the pH of the soil in which it is planted. Low pH in the soil means blue flowers and high pH means pink. Here is a quote from the Texas A&M site on Hydrangea:

Sometimes a single plant may have shades of both pink and blue at the same time due to varying pH in the soil around the plant.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/county/smith/homegardens/Shade/hydrangeas.html

Note that the flowers aren't colored a blend of pink and blue, but rather some flowers are pink and some are blue. Could you map the conduits in the plant by selectively altering the pH around individual roots? Does this mean that there is a conduit that goes directly from root to branch? If so, is this true of plants in general? I am thinking of Maple trees in particular. I have a Norway Maple in my yard with a single branch that still has green leaves on it while the rest of the tree is naked. What could cause that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Water in plants is transported from the roots to the leaves through xylem tissue, this consists of long capillaries that go from root to leaf, so different leaves are connected to different parts of the roots and may thus get their water from different regions in the soil.

Thanks for the link gerben. I am aware of the xylem and how it acts as a pipe for water. But are these pipes linked up so that there is a one to one relationship between root and branch. If I chop off half the roots of my Norway Maple, will half the branches die?

jimmysnyder said:
But are these pipes linked up so that there is a one to one relationship between root and branch.
It depends on what exactly you call "one root/branch", but basically yes.
If I chop off half the roots of my Norway Maple, will half the branches die?
yes

gerben said:
yes
Thanks for making this clear. Can you point me to a website or book where I can verify this?

I think any plant physiology book should make that clear. I did some googling to see if I could find something specific, but did not find much. Here is a quote from a site that did mention something about it:
http://www.floridaplants.com/Reprints/dispelling.htm
...Damaging roots on one side of a tree may cause branch dieback on that side only, or at random throughout the crown. Roots on one side of trees such as oaks and mahogany generally supply the same side of the crown with water and nutrients absorbed through the roots. When roots on one side of a tree are injured, branches on that side often will drop leaves. On other trees such as the maples and rosewood, damage on one side of the root system may cause branch death anywhere in the crown of the tree...

Related to Connection between root and branch

1. What is the connection between a plant's root and branch?

The root and branch are two essential parts of a plant's vascular system. The root is responsible for absorbing water and nutrients from the soil, while the branch is responsible for transporting these substances to the rest of the plant. The connection between the root and branch is crucial for the plant's survival and growth.

2. How does the root support the growth of the branch?

The root provides a strong foundation for the branch to grow. It anchors the plant in the soil, providing stability and support. The root also stores nutrients and water, which are essential for the branch's growth and development.

3. Can a plant survive without roots?

No, a plant cannot survive without roots. The root is responsible for absorbing water and nutrients from the soil, which are necessary for the plant's survival. Without roots, the plant would not be able to obtain these essential substances and would eventually die.

4. How does the branch affect the health of the root?

The branch plays a crucial role in the health of the root. It produces sugars through photosynthesis, which are then transported to the root. These sugars are essential for the root's growth and development. Additionally, the branch also provides shade and protection for the root, helping to regulate soil temperature and moisture levels.

5. What happens if there is damage to the root or branch?

If there is damage to the root or branch, it can affect the overall health of the plant. Damage to the root can hinder its ability to absorb water and nutrients, leading to stunted growth or even death. Damage to the branch can limit the plant's ability to produce food and transport essential substances, also impacting its growth and survival. It is important to take care of both the root and branch to ensure a healthy and thriving plant.