Connection between Planck's Constant and Action?

In summary, there is a connection between Planck's constant and the action of a particle, as they both share the units of Joule-second. This connection is described through dyadic multiplication, which can be used to obtain the action and angular momentum of a free particle. However, the concept of "having action" is not applicable to a single particle, as action is associated with a possible trajectory of a particle and is an integral between two states. The relationship between h and action is more of a linguistic one and does not have any significant physical implications. Therefore, the question of a physical/qualitative relationship between the two is not well-formulated.
Mercy
Hello,

I've noticed that Planck's constant h and the action of a particle S both share the units of Joule-second. I was wondering if there were a connection between the two, but my Modern Physics textbook (Harris) doesn't say anything about it. Wikipedia's definition of Planck's constant says there is a connection but doesn't really go into detail; I was hoping someone here could describe the connection and its implications.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
h has the units of angular momentum, so does action.

It's sort of like Torque and Energy having the same units, even though they aren't the same thing, although they are related.

Torque of 1 Nm applied over 1 radian requires 1 Joule of energy.

Yes I know they are related by units but I am wondering what their physical/qualitative relationship is. I know that angular momentum is quantized via nћ and I know that linear momentum is defined by h / λ, but I want to know what is the connection to action.

Classically, they seem related by a dyadic multiplication.
The way dyadics work is by directly multiplying vectors.
It so happens that when you do that you get the dot and cross products.
[tex] XY = -X\cdot Y + X\times Y [/tex]

So if you have a vector [tex] \vec{\Gamma} = \alpha \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} + \beta \vec{r} [/tex]
and you use dyadic multiplication, you can get:
[tex] \vec{\Gamma}\vec{\Gamma} = \alpha^2 \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}^2 + \beta^2 \vec{r}^2 - 2\alpha\beta \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \cdot \vec{r} + 2\alpha\beta \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \times \vec{r} [/tex]

The first and last are the action and the angular momentum of a free particle, if α is in units of sqrt(mass*time), and β is in units of sqrt(mass/time).
Γ is basically a measure of distance for a moving object, like x + vt, with some extra factors out front.

Last edited:
Likes Mercy
Oh interesting I haven't heard of dyadics before. Do those middle two terms have any physical interpretation? The third one looks like energy but I'm not sure what the second one is.
Do you have any reference materials where I could read more about this?

The second term looks like the potential for a harmonic oscillator (spring), and the third term looks like air resistance. The first term is kinetic energy times time (action of a free particle).

No, I don't have any materials, this is just my attempt at explaining the relationship between action and angular momentum.

As for dyadics, they are well documented on wikipedia.

Last edited:
This is not a well formulated question.
First, a particle does not "have action". The action is associated with a possible trajectory of a particle not with a state. It is an integral between two states.

And second, action and Plank's constant are two different categories. One is a physical quantity and the other is a constant.
Is like asking if there is any connection between c and velocity of a particle. They both have the same units, don't they?

nasu said:
This is not a well formulated question.
First, a particle does not "have action". The action is associated with a possible trajectory of a particle not with a state. It is an integral between two states.

And second, action and Plank's constant are two different categories. One is a physical quantity and the other is a constant.
Is like asking if there is any connection between c and velocity of a particle. They both have the same units, don't they?

I guess you could say the action in question here is the action of a system consisting of one particle. The question then becomes something like "what is the relationship between that action and the particle's angular momentum?"

Nasu, the fact that one is a constant and one is a variable doesn't mean they aren't related in some way.

In the case of c and v, yes they share units but there are also physical relationships between the two such as 'an object's speed can never reach c', and of course the relationship between c and v has very important implications in special relativity, such as length contraction and time dilation.

I'm interested in knowing if there's any such relation between h and S.

If you have nothing to contribute to the question rather than saying 'it's poorly formulated' then please don't respond in the first place.

edit: sorry i don't mean to sound dickish but if the answer were obvious to me then I wouldn't be asking the question

DuckAmuck said:
I guess you could say the action in question here is the action of a system consisting of one particle. The question then becomes something like "what is the relationship between that action and the particle's angular momentum?"
Action between what two points?
To say that a particle "has action" is like saying that it has work or heat.

Mercy said:
Nasu, the fact that one is a constant and one is a variable doesn't mean they aren't related in some way.

In the case of c and v, yes they share units but there are also physical relationships between the two such as 'an object's speed can never reach c', and of course the relationship between c and v has very important implications in special relativity.

I'm interested in knowing if there's any such relation between h and S.

If you have nothing to contribute to the question rather than saying 'it's poorly formulated' then please don't respond in the first place.

It seems that you are not looking for a physical relationship but rather one on different levels.
Then you can also say that h and action have the same units. Would you call this a relationship? If yes, then your question was answered.
Or both "h" and "action" are sequences of letters in the Latin alphabet.

To try to ask a poorly formulated question is a meaningless task. You should start with by making the question meaningful before jumping to "answers".
Of course, this is for physics-related questions. For philosophic one you are right, it doesn't matter. :)

It's hard to know what is and what isn't a meaningful question when the answer could be beyond the scope of what I've learned.
I could analogously ask "what is the relationship between the heat of a system and the system's specific heat capacity". One is a constant and one isn't a state variable, although that doesn't mean there isn't a physical connection between the two (Q = mcΔT).

So I don't agree that the question is inherently poorly formulated, although I think we're going in circles here.

----
The first sentence on Wikipedia's page for Planck's Constant is "The Planck constant is a physical constant that is the quantum of action, central in quantum mechanics."
- so it's implied there is a connection, I just want to know if there is more to their connection than the statement "it is the quantum of action".

Last edited:
Likes DuckAmuck

Related to Connection between Planck's Constant and Action?

What is Planck's Constant?

Planck's Constant, denoted as "h", is a fundamental physical constant that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency.

What is Action?

Action is a physical quantity that is closely related to energy and time. It represents the amount of energy that is required to complete a specific physical process over a given period of time.

How are Planck's Constant and Action related?

Planck's Constant and Action are related through the fundamental physical law known as the Planck-Einstein relation, which states that Action is equal to Planck's Constant multiplied by the frequency of the system.

Why is the connection between Planck's Constant and Action significant?

The connection between Planck's Constant and Action is significant because it provides a fundamental link between two important physical quantities and helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at the quantum level.

How is Planck's Constant experimentally determined?

Planck's Constant is experimentally determined through a variety of methods, such as measuring the energy of photons emitted by a heated object or analyzing the behavior of electrons in a vacuum tube. The most precise value of Planck's Constant was obtained through the use of a device called a Kibble balance, which measures the force exerted by an electric current in a magnetic field.