Connecting Baking and Physics: Ideas for Your Presentation

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of creating a presentation on a physics-related topic, specifically related to baking and chocolate. Suggestions were made to use a chocolate candy bar and microwave to determine the speed of light, as well as looking into the energy content of a Snickers bar and comparing it to gasoline. The connection between science and cooking was also mentioned, with a recommendation to research Peter Barham. Various articles from a German science magazine were also mentioned as potential resources.
cinderblock
I have to create a presentation on a physics-related topic. I personally love baking and would like to know what aspect of baking should I focus on that is also related to physics? Or how can i relate chocolate to physics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
cinderblock said:
I have to create a presentation on a physics-related topic. I personally love baking and would like to know what aspect of baking should I focus on that is also related to physics? Or how can i relate chocolate to physics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Use a large chocolate candy bar and your microwave to determine the speed of light:

Instructions here:
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1767345

Creator ;)

Why don't you look into the energy content per gram of a Snickers bar. See

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-snickers-bar-i19155

271 calories per 57 grams = 19,900 joules per gram. Now look up the energy content of gasoline (~44,000 joules peer gram). Both fuels get their energy from the heat of oxidation, in one case metabolism, and the other straight oxidation. How far can we drive a Prius on a Snickers bar?

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob S said:
How far can we drive a Prius on a Snickers bar?

As far as you can drive by lunchtime?

There are books about the connection of science to cooking.
I've only found the German link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540009086/?tag=pfamazon01-20
But maybe you can google Peter Barham. He has given lectures in GB.

Also I have various articles from a German science magazine, so if you happen to know German let me know :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Connecting Baking and Physics: Ideas for Your Presentation

1. How do baking and physics relate to each other?

Baking and physics both involve the manipulation and transformation of matter. In baking, ingredients are mixed together and undergo chemical reactions to create a final product. Similarly, in physics, matter can be transformed through various processes such as heat, pressure, and energy. By understanding the principles of physics, we can better understand and improve our baking techniques.

2. Can you give an example of a physics concept applied to baking?

One example is the use of heat transfer in baking. The process of convection, where heat is transferred through a fluid (such as air), is crucial in baking. In an oven, hot air circulates and transfers heat to the food, allowing it to cook evenly. Understanding this concept can help bakers adjust their oven temperature and baking time for optimal results.

3. How can physics help improve the quality of baked goods?

Physics can help bakers understand the science behind the reactions that occur during baking. For example, understanding the physical and chemical properties of ingredients can help bakers make substitutions or adjustments to recipes to achieve desired results. Additionally, knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics, and other physics concepts can help bakers troubleshoot issues such as uneven baking or collapsed cakes.

4. Are there any famous scientists who have contributed to the field of baking?

Yes, there are a few notable scientists who have made significant contributions to the science of baking. One example is Harold McGee, a food science writer who has written extensively on the science of cooking and baking. Another is Hervé This, a French physical chemist who is known for his research on the molecular structure of food and its relation to cooking and baking.

5. How can incorporating physics into baking be beneficial for educational purposes?

Integrating physics into baking can make the subject more engaging and relatable for students. By applying scientific concepts to something as familiar as baking, students can better understand and appreciate the principles of physics. It also allows for hands-on learning and experimentation, which can help solidify their understanding of these concepts.