Connected Particles Question (ENGAA 2019)

• Thread starter TomK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary: You can combine it with the equation for the car, F-D1-T=ma, to obtain T-D2=Ma, but you can get that directly by considering the forces on the caravan.
TomK
Homework Statement
ENGAA 2019
Relevant Equations
Equation of motion

The correct answer is 'C'. Why is my working wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The image of your working is rather faint, and it would benefit from some explanation of what you are doing.
You seem to be considering forces on the car (ma, D1), but that is rather pointless since you have no given info on the tractive force on the car. Yes, you can deduce it, but it is more direct to consider forces on the caravan.

haruspex said:
The image of your working is rather faint, and it would benefit from some explanation of what you are doing.
You seem to be considering forces on the car (ma, D1), but that is rather pointless since you have no given info on the tractive force on the car. Yes, you can deduce it, but it is more direct to consider forces on the caravan.

I have started the question again. This is the working I have so far:

E = (l . 'resultant force on bar') / (A . x)
x = extension of bar

(caravan equation of motion): T - D2 = Ma
T= tension in bar

(car equation of motion): F - T - D1 = ma
F = driving force of car

I need to re-arrange the top equation for 'x', but I don't understand what the resultant force on the bar should be.

If you pull a bar from both ends, what counts as the resultant force? Do I need to add the 'resultant force on the car' and the 'resultant force on the caravan' together? Or, is the resultant force on the bar just the sum of the forces which act left on the caravan and act right on the car?

This is very confusing.

haruspex said:
If we take the bar as massless, ΣF=ma tells us that the net force on it must be zero.
Tension is not quite the same as a force; it is more a pair of equal and opposite forces at each point along the bar.
See section 2 at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-forces/

If the car has a resistive force of D1, does that compress the bar? If the car has driving force of F, does that extend the bar? Likewise for the caravan, does D2 extend the bar?

How can the resultant force on the bar be zero if it extends? I don't know if I'm meant to be adding or subtracting forces? I can't visualise it.

TomK said:
How can the resultant force on the bar be zero if it extends?
Because it is being pulled equally in opposite directions by the car and the caravan. That's tension.

haruspex said:
Because it is being pulled equally in opposite directions by the car and the caravan. That's tension.

I still don't understand what the total force is. If F = D1 + D2, how can it be pulled equally? D2 is pulling left, and F is pulling right.

TomK said:
I still don't understand what the total force is. If F = D1 + D2, how can it be pulled equally? D2 is pulling left, and F is pulling right.
Separate the system into three bodies, car, bar and caravan.
In general, the car pulls on the bar with force T1, and by Newton's laws the bar pulls on the car with an equal and opposite force.
Similarly a force T2 between bar and caravan.
Net force on the bar is T1-T2=mbara. Since mbar is negligible here, the difference between T1 and T2 is negligible, so call them both T (but in opposite directions).
For the purposes of finding the extension of the bar, we need T.

If F is the total driving force on the system then F-D1-D2=(M+m)a. But that is not helpful since it sheds no light on T. You can combine it with the equation for the car, F-D1-T=ma, to obtain T-D2=Ma, but you can get that directly by considering the forces on the caravan.

haruspex said:
Separate the system into three bodies, car, bar and caravan.
In general, the car pulls on the bar with force T1, and by Newton's laws the bar pulls on the car with an equal and opposite force.
Similarly a force T2 between bar and caravan.
Net force on the bar is T1-T2=mbara. Since mbar is negligible here, the difference between T1 and T2 is negligible, so call them both T (but in opposite directions).
For the purposes of finding the extension of the bar, we need T.

If F is the total driving force on the system then F-D1-D2=(M+m)a. But that is not helpful since it sheds no light on T. You can combine it with the equation for the car, F-D1-T=ma, to obtain T-D2=Ma, but you can get that directly by considering the forces on the caravan.

Thank you. It is clear to me now.

Related to Connected Particles Question (ENGAA 2019)

1. How do connected particles behave in a system?

Connected particles behave according to the laws of physics, specifically the principles of force, motion, and energy. They interact with each other through forces such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

2. What is the significance of studying connected particles?

Studying connected particles can help us understand the behavior of complex systems, such as materials, fluids, and even living organisms. It also allows us to develop technologies and innovations that rely on the interactions between particles, such as electronics and medicine.

3. How do researchers study connected particles?

Researchers use various techniques such as computer simulations, mathematical models, and experiments to study the behavior of connected particles. These methods help them observe and analyze the interactions between particles and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What are some real-life applications of connected particles?

Connected particles have many practical applications, including in fields such as engineering, materials science, and biology. For example, understanding the behavior of connected particles helps engineers design stronger and more efficient structures, while studying the interactions between particles in living organisms can lead to advancements in medicine and biotechnology.

5. How does the behavior of connected particles affect our daily lives?

The behavior of connected particles plays a significant role in our daily lives. For example, the properties of materials such as metals and plastics are determined by the interactions between their constituent particles. Additionally, the behavior of particles in the atmosphere and oceans affects weather patterns and climate, which can impact our daily activities.