Conjecture on primes (not mine=)

In summary: I don't even think its necessary, but how would you say the prime counting function grows, linear, logarithmic, exponential..?
zetafunction
i saw this conjecture on the web but do not know if is true

the number of primes between the expressions [tex] x^2 [/tex] and [tex] (x+1)^2 [/tex]

for every x or at least for x bigger than 100

is equal to the Number of primes less than 2x+1 (the x are the same)

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't this "obviously" false? The two intervals you consider are the same length...

zetafunction said:
i saw this conjecture on the web but do not know if is true

the number of primes between the expressions [tex] x^2 [/tex] and [tex] (x+1)^2 [/tex]

for every x or at least for x bigger than 100

is equal to the Number of primes less than 2x+1 (the x are the same)

That conjecture is false (counterexamples: 101, 102, 103, ..., 10000, ...). Perhaps you mean
"the number of primes between x^2 and (x+1)^2 is at most the number of primes below 2x+1"
which is a special case of a conjecture of Hardy and Littlewood. Of course this conjecture is widely believed to be false, because it is incompatible with the prime tuple conjecture. I don't know if this special case is possible under the prime tuple conjecture.

Zetafunction may have confused Legendre's Conjecture, which states there is a prime number between n^2 and (n+1)^2. This remains unproven as of 2009.

They are conjectured tighter bounds, but this indicates just how little is know of this problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendre's_conjecture

Last edited:
can't Legendre's Conjecture be proven using bertrand's postulate?

chhitiz said:
can't Legendre's Conjecture be proven using bertrand's postulate?

Bertrand's postulate can be used to show that there is a prime between p^2 and 2p^2. But (p+1)^2 = p^2 + 2p + 1 is smaller than 2p^2 (for p prime).

bertrand's postulate can show that there is a prime between (p+1)2/2 and (p+1)2. p2 is greater than (p+1)2/2 after 2.

well, somebody please tell me if i was correct. can bertrand's postulate be used to prove legendre's conjecture?

chhitiz said:
well, somebody please tell me if i was correct. can bertrand's postulate be used to prove legendre's conjecture?

No. Bertrand's postulate isn't nearly strong enough. Even the Riemann hypothesis is too weak!

chhitiz said:

What CR said is correct. How do I know? Trust me I've tried it.

Although saying the RH is too weak is a bold statement. I think with the RH proved, Legendre's won't put up much of a fight.

The thing about conjectures such as Legendre's is that they are similar to FLT, nearly an unlimited amount of conjectures similar to it can be made: Just from Legendre's conjecture I can make a bunch of other conjectures similar to it without any proofs (as of yet, especially without the RH).

camilus said:
Although saying the RH is too weak is a bold statement. I think with the RH proved, Legendre's won't put up much of a fight.

I challenge you to write a proof of Legendre's conjecture conditional on the RH.

CRGreathouse said:
I challenge you to write a proof of Legendre's conjecture conditional on the RH.

I don't even think its necessary, but how would you say the prime counting function grows, linear, logarithmic, exponential..?

Related to Conjecture on primes (not mine=)

What is the Conjecture on Primes?

The Conjecture on Primes is a mathematical hypothesis that suggests there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that are two units apart from each other. It proposes that the sequence of prime numbers 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, etc. will continue on infinitely with no limit.

Who proposed the Conjecture on Primes?

The Conjecture on Primes was first proposed by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid in his famous work "Elements" around 300 BC. However, it was not stated as an official conjecture until Christian Goldbach, a German mathematician, did so in the 18th century.

Has the Conjecture on Primes been proven?

No, the Conjecture on Primes has not been proven. It is still an unsolved problem in mathematics and remains as one of the most famous and difficult conjectures in number theory. Many mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove it, but no one has been successful so far.

Why is the Conjecture on Primes important?

The Conjecture on Primes is important because it is closely related to other important mathematical concepts such as the distribution of prime numbers, the Goldbach Conjecture, and the Riemann Hypothesis. It also has practical applications in cryptography and computer science.

Are there any known counterexamples to the Conjecture on Primes?

No, there are no known counterexamples to the Conjecture on Primes. This means that all the prime numbers that have been tested so far follow the pattern of being two units apart. However, this does not prove the conjecture as there could be infinitely many exceptions that have not yet been discovered.