Confussion with setting up loading conditions on cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of gravitational load on a horizontally supported cylindrical tube that is fixed at both ends. The speaker is using a 3D model and is unsure about how to set up the loading conditions for gravity on a cylindrical surface. The issue arises due to the use of cylindrical coordinates and the direction of gravity acting downward. The conversation also mentions using a shell or 3D model and the use of coordinate transformations.
roldy
I have a horizontally supported cylindrical tube that is fixed at both ends. I modeled half of it to run the simulation on in Abaqus. The only load that it has is its weight. What I get confused at with cylindrical geometry is applying the load. How should I apply the gravitational load and at what location?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't the gravitational load uniformly distributed over the volume of material comprising the tube?

Chet

Likes Nidum
That is correct. I just wasn't sure how to set up the loading conditions on a cylindrical surface for gravity.

Likes Chestermiller
roldy said:
That is correct. I just wasn't sure how to set up the loading conditions on a cylindrical surface for gravity.
The cylinder is horizontal and you are using cylindrical coordinates, correct? So the z axis of the cylindrical coordinate system is horizontal. But, gravity is acting downward. Can you represent the direction of gravity in terms of the circumferential coordinate θ and the cylindrical coordinate unit vectors?

Are you using a shell model or a 3D model? Or, are you treating the tube like a beam?

Chet

I am not using cylindrical coordinates, I don't want to have to do any coordinate transformations afterwards. I am using a 3D model that I created.

roldy said:
I am not using cylindrical coordinates, I don't want to have to do any coordinate transformations afterwards. I am using a 3D model that I created.
The (distributed) gravitational force per unit volume is equal to ρg, where ρ is the density.

Related to Confussion with setting up loading conditions on cylinder

What is the purpose of setting up loading conditions on a cylinder?

The purpose of setting up loading conditions on a cylinder is to simulate real-life conditions and determine how the cylinder will behave under different loads. This information is essential for designing and testing cylinders in various applications, such as in engines, hydraulic machinery, and industrial equipment.

What factors should be considered when setting up loading conditions on a cylinder?

When setting up loading conditions on a cylinder, factors such as the type of load (static or dynamic), magnitude of the load, direction of the load, and frequency of the load should be taken into consideration. Other factors, such as the material and design of the cylinder, should also be considered to ensure accurate and safe testing.

What are the common methods for applying loading conditions on a cylinder?

The most common methods for applying loading conditions on a cylinder are through direct loading, where the load is directly applied to the cylinder, and indirect loading, where the load is applied through external components, such as a piston or hydraulic system. Other methods include fatigue testing and computer simulations.

What are some challenges in setting up loading conditions on a cylinder?

Some challenges in setting up loading conditions on a cylinder include accurately replicating real-life conditions, ensuring safety during testing, and accounting for potential variations in material properties and environmental factors. Additionally, determining the appropriate loading conditions for a specific application can be challenging and may require multiple iterations and adjustments.

How can the results from setting up loading conditions on a cylinder be used?

The results from setting up loading conditions on a cylinder can be used to evaluate the performance and durability of the cylinder in different scenarios, identify potential design flaws or weaknesses, and optimize the design for improved performance and reliability. This information can also be used to make informed decisions on the selection and application of cylinders in various industries and applications.