Confusion regarding delta definition of limit

In summary, the delta definition of limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is equivalent to the epsilon definition, but uses symbols to represent the distances between the input and output of the function. The delta definition is important as it allows for a rigorous and precise understanding of limits, and is used in various areas of mathematics and science to analyze and solve practical problems.
f24u7
I don't quite get the significance of the delta limit definition,

if n>N and |sn−s|< ϵ , why does the limit converges

does this simply means that there exist a number ε such that if n is great enough it will be greater than s by ε?

But this doesn't make sense, because s is the value the sequence converges to, so sncannot be greater than s

what confuses me even more is that (-1)n is a diverging sequence but
it satisfies |sn-s| < ε for ε>1

Can someone clarify this concept, thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
f24u7 said:
I don't quite get the significance of the delta limit definition,

if n>N and |sn−s|< ϵ , why does the limit converges

does this simply means that there exist a number ε such that if n is great enough it will be greater than s by ε?
No, first of all you need to state the full definition: for EVERY ##\epsilon > 0## (no matter how small), there exists some ##N## such that ##|s_n - s| < \epsilon## for every ##n > N##. In general, choosing a smaller ##\epsilon## means that the required ##N## will be larger.

Note that ##|s_n - s| < \epsilon## means exactly that ##-\epsilon < s_n - s < \epsilon## or equivalently ##s - \epsilon < s_n < s + \epsilon##. So convergence means that no matter how small an ##\epsilon## I choose, it's possible to find an ##N## such that ##s_n## will be contained within the interval ##(s-\epsilon, s+\epsilon)## for all ##n > N##.

what confuses me even more is that (-1)n is a diverging sequence but
it satisfies |sn-s| < ε for ε>1
You didn't mention what ##s## is in this case. But note that it's not enough for the inequality to be true for ##\epsilon > 1##. It has to be possible to make it true for any ##\epsilon > 0##, no matter how small. To see that this is impossible, take ##\epsilon = 1/2## for example, and show that there can't be any ##s## that works.

Related to Confusion regarding delta definition of limit

1. What is the delta definition of limit?

The delta definition of limit is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It states that the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a, denoted as limx→a f(x), is equal to L if for any positive number ε there exists a corresponding positive number δ such that if the distance between x and a is less than δ, then the distance between f(x) and L is less than ε.

2. How is the delta definition of limit different from the epsilon definition?

The delta definition of limit and the epsilon definition are equivalent and describe the same concept. The only difference is the use of symbols δ and ε to represent the distance between x and a, and the distance between f(x) and L, respectively.

3. Why is the delta definition of limit important?

The delta definition of limit is important because it allows us to rigorously define the concept of a limit in calculus. It provides a precise and formal way to understand and analyze the behavior of functions near a specific point, which is essential in many mathematical applications.

4. What is the purpose of using delta and epsilon in the definition of limit?

The use of delta and epsilon in the definition of limit helps to establish a quantitative relationship between the input and output of a function. It allows us to determine how close the input must be to the limit point in order for the output to be within a desired range, providing a precise and measurable way to define limits.

5. How can I use the delta definition of limit in practical applications?

The delta definition of limit is used in various areas of mathematics, such as calculus, real analysis, and differential equations. It is also essential in physics and engineering, where it is used to describe the behavior of systems and functions in the real world. For example, the delta definition of limit is used to calculate velocity and acceleration in motion problems, and to determine rates of change in various physical phenomena.