Confusion: deriving momentum expectation value in QM

In summary, on pages 16-17 of Griffith's Intro to QM, the author discusses the time-dependence of the expectation value of position in quantum mechanics. He presents an expression that can be simplified using integration by parts, and claims that the second term in the simplified expression is equal to zero due to the fact that the wave function must approach zero at infinity in order for it to be normalizable. This assumption holds for bound states and can be extended to scattering states by considering wavepackets.
buffordboy23
On pages 16-17 of Griffith's Intro to QM, he writes the following:

[tex]\frac{d\left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}=[/tex] [tex]\int x \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi|^{2} dx = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int x \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right) dx[/tex]

This expression can be simplified using integration by-parts:

[tex]\frac{d\left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}= - \frac{i\hbar}{2m}\int \left( \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right) dx[/tex]

(I used the fact that [tex]\partial x / \partial x = 1[/tex], and threw away the boundary term, on the ground that [tex]\Psi[/tex] goes to zero at (+/-) infinity.)

My two questions

1. I obtained the following intermediate form between these two equations:

[tex]\frac{d\left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}= \frac{i\hbar}{2m} \left[ -\int \left( \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right) dx + x\left( \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right) \right|^{+\infty}_{-\infty} \right][/tex]

Is this correct?

EDIT: The second part doesn't quite make sense according to my current arguments. I will have to get back to you all. It was clear before I left my house but apparently not when I got home. Problems with Latex stole my focus. =)

2. Assuming the response is correct, how can the author make his claim that the second term equals 0?

[tex]x\left( \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right) = 0[/tex]

I ask this because of the following supposition:

If [tex] \Psi [/tex] and [tex] \Psi^{*} [/tex] are even functions, then [tex]\partial \Psi / \partial x[/tex] and [tex] \partial \Psi^{*} / \partial x [/tex] must be odd functions (unless there is some function that defies this rule(?)). Therefore, the products [tex] x\Psi \partial \Psi / \partial x [/tex] and [tex] x\Psi^{*} \partial \Psi / \partial x [/tex] are even. But if [tex] f \left( x \right) [/tex] if an even function, then

[tex]\int^{+a}_{-a} f \left( x \right) \neq 0[/tex]

always.

Mathematically, his conclusion only makes sense to me if [tex] \Psi [/tex] is of the general form

[tex] \Psi = A \psi \left( x \right) \psi \left( t \right) [/tex]

where

[tex] \psi \left( x \right) = e^{-ax^{n}} [/tex]

where

[tex] A [/tex], [tex] a [/tex], and [tex] n [/tex]

are constants.

From my experience with QM, this general form is a common description for particle wave-functions. Is his claim based on physical grounds, which is analogous to how the potential energy of a gravitational or electromagnetic field equals 0 at infinity and allows him to neglect the other mathematical functions that are in contradiction, such as [tex] \Psi = Ax [/tex] ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normalization requires that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^* \Psi \, dx = 1\, .[/tex]

For bound states this means that

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pm \infty} \Psi(x) = 0[/tex]

otherwise, the wave function isn't normalizable and doesn't correspond to a physical particle. Thus, your example of [tex]\Psi = Ax[/tex] defined over all space isn't a particle. The wave-function could have such form only in some localization of space.

The picture is a little different for scattering states, such as a free particle, but I haven't studied them too well (yet).

Irid, I liked your description on bound states. It's been a while since I worked with QM, but things are slowly coming back into mind.

Let's talk about the free particle [tex] V_{0} = 0 [/tex] in regards to Griffith's statement that the second term

[tex]x\left(\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right)\right|^{+\infty}_{-\infty} = 0[/tex]

since [tex]\Psi\rightarrow0[/tex] at [tex]\pm\infty[/tex].Now, for a free particle, [tex] \Psi = A \psi \left( x \right) \psi \left( t \right) [/tex], where [tex] \psi \left( x \right) = e^{ikx} [/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]k[/tex] are constants. This wave-function is a complex exponential traveling wave. Mathematically, [tex]\Psi\Psi^{*}[/tex] is infinite and flat in extent and the wave-function is not normalizable. Physically, we would say this particle must be localized in some region of space and would use the method of box normalization in determining [tex]A[/tex]--an example of such a situation is a proton beam from cyclotron. So in these scenarios, Griffith's is still correct in supposing that the second term goes to zero. Does anyone know if any such scenarios exist where we cannot make such an assumption? Basically, this scenario would describe a particle whose wave-function is not normalizable. Does it even make sense to ask such a question?

Last edited:
buffordboy23 said:
Irid, I liked your description on bound states. It's been a while since I worked with QM, but things are slowly coming back into mind.

Let's talk about the free particle [tex] V_{0} = 0 [/tex] in regards to Griffith's statement that the second term

[tex]x\left(\Psi^{*}\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial\Psi^{*}}{\partial x}\Psi \right)\right|^{+\infty}_{-\infty} = 0[/tex]

since [tex]\Psi\rightarrow0[/tex] at [tex]\pm\infty[/tex].

Now, for a free particle, [tex] \Psi = A \psi \left( x \right) \psi \left( t \right) [/tex], where [tex] \psi \left( x \right) = e^{ikx} [/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]k[/tex] are constants. This wave-function is a complex exponential traveling wave. Mathematically, [tex]\Psi\Psi^{*}[/tex] is infinite and flat in extent and the wave-function is not normalizable. Physically, we would say this particle must be localized in some region of space and would use the method of box normalization in determining [tex]A[/tex]--an example of such a situation is a proton beam from cyclotron. So in these scenarios, Griffith's is still correct in supposing that the second term goes to zero. Does anyone know if any such scenarios exist where we cannot make such an assumption? Basically, this scenario would describe a particle whose wave-function is not normalizable. Does it even make sense to ask such a question?

Physically, there is no such thing as a free particle of definite momentum. To be rigorous, one should always work instead with wavepackets which correspond to a superposition of different momenta. When we do scattering problems, we often work with momentum eigenfunctions but rigorously we should always work with wavepackets. However, since wavepackets are linear combinations of momentum eigenstates, it is still useful to do problems with momentum eigenstates because then it is straighforward to then extend the results to wavepackets. This is usually not shown in introductory QM classes.

Thanks nrqed. So it appears that a wave-function for a particular momentum eigenstate may not necessarily be normalizable, but through the superposition of multiple eigenstates, interference occurs and localization of the particle is revealed.

I have a question about why

[tex]
\left. x \left( \Psi^* \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial \Psi^*}{\partial x} \Psi \right) \right|^{+\infty}_{-\infty} = 0.
[/tex]

I understand that normalization requires that [tex]\Psi[/tex] goes to zero at [tex]\pm \infty[/tex]. But, what about the x in front of the parenthesis? Doesn't it result in [tex]\infty \cdot 0[/tex], which is indeterminate?

Related to Confusion: deriving momentum expectation value in QM

1. What is momentum expectation value in quantum mechanics?

Momentum expectation value is a measure of the average momentum of a particle in a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the momentum operator and the wave function of the system.

2. Why is it important to calculate momentum expectation value?

Momentum expectation value is important because it provides information about the average momentum of a particle in a quantum system. This can help us understand the behavior and dynamics of the system.

3. How is momentum expectation value derived in quantum mechanics?

Momentum expectation value is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the Schrodinger equation. The integral of the momentum operator and the wave function is used to calculate the expectation value.

4. Can momentum expectation value be negative?

Yes, momentum expectation value can be negative. This means that the average momentum of the particle is in the opposite direction of the momentum operator. It is important to note that this does not mean the particle is moving backwards, but rather that its momentum is in a negative direction.

5. How is momentum expectation value related to uncertainty principle?

Momentum expectation value is related to the uncertainty principle in that it is one of the two quantities involved in the principle. According to the uncertainty principle, the product of the uncertainty in position and the uncertainty in momentum must be greater than or equal to Planck's constant divided by 2π. This means that the more accurately we know the momentum expectation value, the less accurately we know the position of the particle and vice versa.