Confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential in a cubical resistor network

In summary: G------HIn summary, the problem is to find the equivalent resistance between opposite ends of a cubical resistor network, where each resistor has a resistance of R. By applying Kirchoff's laws and the formulas for connecting resistors in parallel and series, the equivalent resistance can be found. Alternatively, one can connect points of equal potential without affecting the circuit and collapse them into a single point. The remaining 6 resistors in the network can be connected in parallel, and this method can be applied to find the equivalent resistance between any two points in the network. If the network is distorted, the connections between the nodes do not change and the resistance remains the same.
nishantve1

Homework Statement

The question is to find Equivalent resistance between opposite ends of a cubical resistor network . each resistor of resistance R .

I am referring to this website here
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/65234.html
I am halfway through it but I am stuck at a point . Where it says
"Now imagine shrinking these wire loops down to a single point. This
collapses together the points BDE and CFH. The circuit now looks like
this (when flattened out):"

/-R-\
--R-- /--R--\ -R-
/ \ /---R---\ / \
o---A---R--(BCD)----R--(CFH)--R--G---o
\ / \---R---/ \ /
--R-- \--R--/ -R-

Homework Equations

Only equation I believe is used will be V= IR and Kirchoff's law maybe I think it will use only the formulas for connection of resistors in parallel and series

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried using Kirchoff's law that is enetring a current I from A then distributing it , it gives the right answer but its quiet very lengthy . Just stuck there . if some one can help it would be awesome
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2443/p1010017gh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If points in an electric circuit are connected with wires (of zero resistance) these wires can be replaced by a single node. Points of equal potential always can be connected, it does not alter anything in the circuit.

ehild

Attachments

• equivalence.JPG
    equivalence.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 361
vsupply=Itotal . Rtotal (1)

vsupply=I1/3 . R1/3 (2)
vsupply=I(1/3R + 1/6R + 1/3R) . (G->H ->D->A)
vsupply=I(5/6)R

Subt. in (1)
I(5/6R)=Itotal . Rtotal
Rtotal=5/6R

Sorry but I am still not getting how to collapse the three points together . Sorry for bring dumb but please help me out.

Say current I enters point G.
Then equally it is distributed to 3 branches.
Makes each branch current 1/3I(pt G)
Next points, incoming 1/3I, branchout to 2 branches which means each outlet=(1/3)/2I=1/6I.(pt H)
finally 2 branches join and equal I(1/6+1/6)=I(1/3).(pt. E)
All above from Kirchoff's Current Law(KCL)

Next Kirchoff's Voltage Law(KVL)

If you follow any route(from G to A,from higher potential to lower potential), the total voltage equal to supply voltage.

Last edited:
ehild said:
If points in an electric circuit are connected with wires (of zero resistance) these wires can be replaced by a single node. Points of equal potential always can be connected, it does not alter anything in the circuit.

ehild

azizlwl said:
Say current I enters point G.
Then equally it is distributed to 3 branches.
Makes each branch current 1/3I(pt G)
Next points, incoming 1/3I, branchout to 2 branches which means each outlet=(1/3)/2I=1/6I.(pt H)
finally 2 branches join and equal I(1/6+1/6)=I(1/3).(pt. E)
All above from Kirchoff's Current Law(KCL)

Next Kirchoff's Voltage Law(KVL)

If you follow any route(from G to A,from higher potential to lower potential), the total voltage equal to supply voltage.

I know how to do it by applying Kirchoff's law but I am looking forward to solve it by the method of connecting points of equal potentials . I understand that the points with equal potentials can be connected without affecting the circuit but I just wanted a more clear image of how this has been done . I mean how did they connect the three points , did they make all the point one single point ? :rolleyes:

See the figure in #3. They make it a single point at the end.

ehild

@echild Thanks but can you please show me the picture of how the three points are made one in the cubical network . Thanks

Also in the same cubical network If I were to finto resistance between points B and D , why will the current bit flow through the branches CG AND AE

You can distort the square, nothing happens when you do not change the connection between the nodes. Just press the dots representing the corners B,D,E together. The wires which were the edges, will bend but their resistance does not change.

ehild

Attachments

• squize.JPG
    squize.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 408
ehild said:
You can distort the square, nothing happens when you do not change the connection between the nodes. Just press the dots representing the corners B,D,E together. The wires which were the edges, will bend but their resistance does not change.

ehild

alright now I know how they can be connected thank you sooo much ! but how are the remaining 6 resistors in parallel ?
Also can I solve for equivalent resistance between any other two points using the same approach?

1st Point - G
2nd Point all resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/3) =3 resistor in parallel
3rd Point alll resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/6+1/3) = 6 resistors in parallel
4th point all resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/6+1/3+1/3) =3 resistor in parallel
Point A

1st total resistance. =R(1/3)
2nd. total resistance. =R(1/6)
3rd. total resistance. =R(1/3)

Rt=R(5/6)

azizlwl said:
1st Point - G
2nd Point all resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/3) =3 resistor in parallel
3rd Point alll resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/6+1/3) = 6 resistors in parallel
4th point all resistor with voltage drop of RI(1/6+1/3+1/3) =3 resistor in parallel
Point A

1st total resistance. =R(1/3)
2nd. total resistance. =R(1/6)
3rd. total resistance. =R(1/3)

Rt=R(5/6)

Ok alright :biggrin: Thanks . One thing that's confusing me is , as in this cube the cell was connected between A and G and then the 3 points with the same potential are easily identified . But in case we connect the cell between points A and C then why not B D and E are at the same potential ?
A------B
/| /|
D-----C |
| E---|-F
|/ |/
H-----G

Check the symmetry, with the cell included. Now the configuration has got a vertical mirror planedefined by A and C. B and D are equivalent points with respect to it, but E is not. In the first configuration, it was a threefold axis between A and G.

Thanks for the reply guys , I have no idea about symmetry and how to find points with equal potentials . I am cracking my head since hours , please if you will solve my dilemma I will be very very grateful to you , Please help me
Please answer this post
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3938977#post3938977
Thank you so much for all the help !

Related to Confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential in a cubical resistor network

1. What is a cubical resistor network?

A cubical resistor network is a three-dimensional arrangement of resistors that are connected together in a cubical shape. The resistors are typically arranged in a series or parallel configuration to create a network that can be used to measure or control the flow of electrical current.

2. How does "confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential" relate to a cubical resistor network?

Confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential refers to the state in which three points in a cubical resistor network have the same electrical potential. This can occur when the resistors in the network are arranged in a specific way, or when external factors, such as voltage or current, are applied to the network.

3. Why is it important to study confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential in a cubical resistor network?

Studying confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential in a cubical resistor network can provide valuable insights into the behavior and properties of electrical circuits. Understanding how the network responds to equal potential points can help in designing more efficient and reliable circuits.

4. What are the practical applications of a cubical resistor network?

A cubical resistor network has many practical applications in electronics and electrical engineering. It can be used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones to control the flow of electricity. It is also used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in scientific research and experimentation.

5. How can the phenomenon of confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential be avoided in a cubical resistor network?

The phenomenon of confusion:collapsing 3 points with equal potential can be avoided by carefully designing the resistor network and selecting appropriate resistor values. It is also important to consider external factors, such as voltage and current, that may affect the network. Using high-quality resistors and proper circuit layout techniques can also help prevent this phenomenon.