Confusion about the Concept of Operators

In summary, the source is discussing the notation used and how it doesn't actually reveal anything about the physics. The states in the ket state and the bra state are just defined by the operator ##H## and the states don't change.
jdou86
Dear all,

I've been reading and got confused of the concept below

have two questions

question 1)
For <ψ|HA|ψ> = <Hψ|A|ψ>, why does the Hamiltonian operator acting on the bra state
and <ψ|AH|ψ> in this configuration it will act on the ket state?

question 2)
what does it mean for H|ψ> = |Hψ> did the state change? or it's simply a constant, (it can't be right since if so any operator will commute with Hamiltonian)

Thank you.

Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
jdou86 said:
I've been reading

What source have you been reading? Please give a reference. It's a lot easier to help if we have the context of where you are getting information from.

Ok, looking at your source it seems like it's just being rather cavalier with notation. In the casual notation this source is using, the ket ##|H \psi \rangle## just means "the ket you get by operating on ##| \psi \rangle## with ##H## from the left", i.e., ##H | \psi \rangle = | H \psi \rangle## is just a definition of how they're using notation and tells you nothing about any physics. Similarly, the bra ##\langle H \psi |## just means "the bra you get by operating on ##\langle \psi |## with ##H## from the right", i.e., ##\langle \psi | H = \langle H \psi |## is just a definition of their notation. (In the latter case the notation is particularly confusing since the operator is operating from the right, but it appears on the left inside the bra.)

PeterDonis said:
Ok, looking at your source it seems like it's just being rather cavalier with notation. In the casual notation this source is using, the ket ##|H \psi \rangle## just means "the ket you get by operating on ##| \psi \rangle## with ##H## from the left", i.e., ##H | \psi \rangle = | H \psi \rangle## is just a definition of how they're using notation and tells you nothing about any physics. Similarly, the bra ##\langle H \psi |## just means "the bra you get by operating on ##\langle \psi |## with ##H## from the right", i.e., ##\langle \psi | H = \langle H \psi |## is just a definition of their notation. (In the latter case the notation is particularly confusing since the operator is operating from the right, but it appears on the left inside the bra.)
yeah but isn't H|ψ> = E |ψ(>*edit) commutator cancels out?

jdou86 said:
isnt H|ψ> = E |ψ(>*edit)

Only if the system is in an eigenstate of ##H##.

Could it still be true if it's under Dirac formalism? I'm kinda confused because if you can do change of basis diagonalizing hamiltonian then change to the new orthogonal eigenbasis. Then you will always have E as their eigenvalues.

Maybe I'm totally lost.

It's of course the usual Dirac bra-ket notation, and there's nothing mysterious about it. One should also note that everything is in the Schrödinger picture of time evolution, i.e., the states carry the entire time dependence, while the fundamental operators for observables are time-independent. Now ##\hat{A}## is an operator that is in addition also explicitly time dependent. In the Schrödinger picture you have
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t |\psi(t) \rangle = \hat{H} |\psi(t) \rangle,$$
where ##\hat{H}## (which may be explicitly time dependent or not) is the Hamilton operator, which must be self-adjoint.

Taking the adjoint of this equation, you get
$$-\mathrm{i} \partial_t \langle \psi(t)| = \langle \psi(t)| \hat{H}^{\dagger} = \langle \psi(t)| \hat{H} = \langle \hat{H} \psi(t)|.$$
Finally you have
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \hat{A}=\partial_t \hat{A},$$
i.e., the time derivative refers only to a possible explicit time dependence.

Now you should easily understand the copied calculation from your textbook by using the rule for product differentiation and the just derived formulae above.

Likes bhobba
jdou86 said:
Could it still be true if it's under Dirac formalism?

Could what still be true?

jdou86 said:
I'm kinda confused because if you can do change of basis diagonalizing hamiltonian then change to the new orthogonal eigenbasis. Then you will always have E as their eigenvalues.

Yes, you are confused. Whether or not a particular state ##| \psi \rangle## is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian ##H## has nothing to do with what basis you write the states in. The eigenvalue equation ##H | \psi \rangle = E | \psi \rangle## is only satisfied by states ##| \psi \rangle## that are eigenstates of ##H##; that equation is basis independent (a state that satisfies it does so in any basis). But most states are not eigenstates of ##H##, so they don't satisfy that equation.

Either system (ket) state or Hamiltonian which ever you wan to call it can be radiagonalized to be the eigenstates.

Think I got it now operators can act on each other just like some off diagonal matrices

jdou86 said:
Either system (ket) state or Hamiltonian which ever you wan to call it can be radiagonalized to be the eigenstates.

Diagonalization does not affect which states are eigenstates. Diagonalization is just a change of basis. See my previous post.

PeterDonis said:
Diagonalization does not affect which states are eigenstates. Diagonalization is just a change of basis. See my previous post.
So why not pick a basis that contains the eigenkets of H?

jdou86 said:
So why not pick a basis that contains the eigenkets of H?

You can pick whatever basis you want. What difference does it make?

jdou86 said:
commutator cancels out?

Whether or not ##H## commutes with ##A## doesn't depend on what state ##| \psi \rangle## they are operating on.

Feel like we are speaking different languages, i would stop here. Thank you, I get the logistic now. I appreciate for your time. Enjoy the rest of the sunday.

-J

Related to Confusion about the Concept of Operators

1. What are operators in programming?

Operators in programming are symbols or keywords that perform specific actions on one or more operands. They are used to manipulate data and perform calculations in a program.

2. What is the difference between unary and binary operators?

Unary operators work with a single operand, while binary operators work with two operands. Unary operators are typically used for incrementing or decrementing a value, while binary operators are used for mathematical operations.

3. Can operators be used with different data types?

Yes, operators can be used with different data types, but the results may vary. Some operators, like the addition operator (+), can be used with both numeric and string data types, while others, like the division operator (/), only work with numeric data types.

4. What is operator precedence?

Operator precedence refers to the rules that determine the order in which operators are evaluated in an expression. Operators with a higher precedence are evaluated first, followed by those with a lower precedence. Parentheses can be used to change the default precedence of operators.

5. Can I create my own operators in a programming language?

In most programming languages, it is not possible to create your own operators. Operators are predefined in the language and cannot be modified or added by the user. However, some languages may allow for operator overloading, which allows existing operators to be redefined for certain data types.