Confused by variational principle

In summary: Sorry for being so vague.The Hamiltonian for a harmonic oscillator is:H=\int_a^b d\tau = -\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{2} where d\tau is the displacement from the equilibrium position.Hamilton's equation is:\frac{d}{dt}H=-\frac{1}{2}\left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{2}
madness
My notes give the variational principle for a geodesic in GR:

[tex] c\tau_{AB} = c\int_A^B d\tau = c\int_A^B \frac{d\tau}{dp}dp = \int_A^B Ldp [/tex]

and then apply the Euler-Lagrange equations. By choosing p to be an "affine parameter" where [tex] \frac{d^2 p}{d\tau^2} [/tex] the Euler-Lagrange equations are then expressed as:

[tex] \frac{dL^2}{dx^\mu} + \frac{d}{dp}\left( \frac{dL^2}{d\dot{x}^\mu} \right) = 0 [/tex]

where the dot is wrt p. Apparently the affine parameter is usually chosen to be tau, but then L is just 1 and the equation holds trivially! In fact each term in the equation is zero individually. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my notes, L is

[tex]
\sqrt{g_{\alpha\beta}{x'}^{\alpha}{x'}^{\beta}
[/tex]
where the primes are differentiation wrt the affine parameter. Solving the E-L equations for L gives the geodesic equation in terms of the affine param. After that's done, we can substitute [itex]\tau[/itex] for the affine parameter.

Yes that's the same thing, the space-time interval is:

[tex] ds^2=c^2d\tau^2=g_{\mu\nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu [/tex]

which relates our equations. I don't like substituting for tau at the end, since if we had tau at the beginning then L would be constant and each term in the differential equation would be zero individually. It seems like dividing by x then afterwards setting x=0.

I don't see the problem. It doesn't matter what the affine parameter is, the Lagrangian does not disappear.

The problem is that L is defined as:

[tex] L=c\frac{d\tau}{dp} [/tex]

and if p = tau then L=c, a constant. And the each term in the Euler-Lagrange equation is zero individually, which it shouldn't be. In this case any path would satisfy the equations.

So

[tex]L=c\frac{d\tau}{dp} = \sqrt{g_{\alpha\beta}{x'}^{\alpha}{x'}^{\beta}[/tex] ?

Sorry you've lost me. I can't see what you're talking about.

[tex] ds^2=c^2d\tau^2=g_{\mu\nu}dx^\mu dx^\nu [/tex]

divide both sides by (dp)^2 (not rigourous but that's what my notes say):

[tex] c^2\left(\frac{d\tau}{dp}\right)^2=g_{\mu\nu}\frac{dx^\mu}{dp}\frac{dx^\nu}{dp} [/tex]

denote differentiation wrt p by a dot and take the square root:

[tex] c\frac{d\tau}{dp}=\sqrt{g_{\mu\nu}\dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu} [/tex]

madness said:
My notes give the variational principle for a geodesic in GR:

[tex] c\tau_{AB} = c\int_A^B d\tau = c\int_A^B \frac{d\tau}{dp}dp = \int_A^B Ldp [/tex]

and then apply the Euler-Lagrange equations. By choosing p to be an "affine parameter" where [tex] \frac{d^2 p}{d\tau^2} [/tex] the Euler-Lagrange equations are then expressed as:

[tex] \frac{dL^2}{dx^\mu} + \frac{d}{dp}\left( \frac{dL^2}{d\dot{x}^\mu} \right) = 0 [/tex]

Are you sure that total derivatives are used?
madness said:
Apparently the affine parameter is usually chosen to be tau, but then L is just 1 and the equation holds trivially! In fact each term in the equation is zero individually.

No.

Consider

[tex]f\left( x, y \right) = x^2 + y^2 .[/tex]

Set

[tex]1 = f\left( x, y \right).[/tex]

Does this mean that

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2x = 0?[/tex]

No sorry the total derivatives were a typo. You gave a good example, but now I feel like I don't even understand partial differentiation. Setting f(x,y)=1 means x and y are no longer independent, so partial differentiation wrt x and not y doesn't make sense. Is that right? So is partial differentiation always assumed to be applied to the unconstrained function?

madness said:
So is partial differentiation always assumed to be applied to the unconstrained function?

Yes. In this context, [itex]\partial f / \partial x[/itex] means "differentiate with respect to x while holding y constant". You can't vary x and hold y constant if you are keeping f(x,y) = 1.

The chain rule

[tex]\frac{df}{dp} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dp} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dp}[/tex]​

relates three derivatives of f, the first along the curve (f=1 in this case), the second if you were to hold y constant, the third if you were to hold x constant. Of course in the case where f is constantly 1 along the curve in question, df/dp would be zero.

madness said:
Is that right? So is partial differentiation always assumed to be applied to the unconstrained function?

Yes, as DrGreg explained.

Have you taken Hamiltonians and Hamilton's equations in a mechanics course? If so, what is the Hamiltonian, and what are Hamilton's equation for a harmonic oscillator? This is a similar application of partial derivatives.

Yes I took a whole course on Hamiltonian dynamics. I assume you're pointing out the constant Hamiltonian whose derivatives wrt p and q are non-zero. I think my problem is that I was very lazy for the first two years of university and only really applied myself when the grades started to count towards my degree. I still have some misunderstandings left over from basic stuff that should be very obvious to me by now.

Related to Confused by variational principle

What is variational principle?

The variational principle is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to find the most optimal solution to a problem. It states that out of all possible solutions, the one that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, known as the action, is the correct solution.

How is variational principle used in science?

Variational principle is used in many areas of science, including mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It allows scientists to find the equations of motion for a system by minimizing the action, which represents the path or function that the system takes.

What are the benefits of using variational principle?

One of the main benefits of using variational principle is that it can simplify complex mathematical problems by reducing them to a single optimization problem. It also allows for a more elegant and intuitive understanding of physical systems.

What are some limitations of variational principle?

Variational principle is not applicable to all problems and may only provide approximate solutions in some cases. It also requires a good understanding of the physical system and may be challenging to apply to complex systems.

How is variational principle related to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action is a specific application of variational principle, where the action is minimized to find the equations of motion for a system. In this sense, variational principle is a more general concept that encompasses the principle of least action.