Confused about the difference between impulse momentum and kinetic energy

In summary, in this conversation, the participants discuss a problem involving the fusion of two masses, one moving at a certain velocity, and the determination of the resulting speed. They use the equations for impulse and kinetic energy to solve the problem and discuss the concepts of momentum and energy conservation. It is explained that momentum is always conserved in collisions due to the equal and opposite forces exerted by the objects involved. It is recommended to read a tutorial for a deeper understanding of these concepts.
quirck

Homework Statement

1 mass M1 of 1 kg moves frictionless at V1 1 meter per second to the right. It fuses with mass M2 of 2 kg and together they keep moving frictionless to the right. What is the speed V2 of the fused objects?

Homework Equations

Impulse mass * Velocity
Kinetic energy mass * velocity^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of energy 1/2*M1*V1*V1 = 1/2 [Joule] = 1/2*(M1+M2)*V2*V2
V2=SQRT (1/3) [m/s]

Conservation of momentum M1*V1 = (M1+M2)*V2
V2=1/3 [m/s]

My confusion is.
When and why should I conserve momentum and when and why should I conserve energy?
I think I can imagine what is energy of a moving object, however I think that somehow I cannot imagine what is momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
quirck said:
My confusion is.
When and why should I conserve momentum and when and why should I conserve energy?
Remember that momentum is conserved in any collision, but kinetic energy is only conserved in some collisions. When the masses bounce apart and energy is conserved, that's called an elastic collision; when they stick together, that's called an inelastic collision (and energy is not conserved).

In this problem, energy is not conserved.

[q]In this problem, energy is not conserved.[/q]

Thank you for the quick reply. Very kind.
I understand you want to stay simple here and this rule of thumb is applicable here, however I want to get a deep understanding of this. Most of all I want to try to get a grasp on what is momentum. Like understanding it so much that even my stomach also understands.

We understand of course that also energy of a closed system is always conserved. So the energy must have gone somewhere. I suspect some kinetic energy was transformed from kinetic to heat or deformation. That would be an answer to the question where the energy would have gone.

But then why is momentum conserved? For me it is still is a rule that is just applied and seems to work in the real world. I have a vivid imagination about how energy is conserved. I just like to have the same vivid imagination about momentum conservation.
Do you have any idea how to explain?

quirck said:
We understand of course that also energy of a closed system is always conserved. So the energy must have gone somewhere. I suspect some kinetic energy was transformed from kinetic to heat or deformation. That would be an answer to the question where the energy would have gone.
Good!

But then why is momentum conserved? For me it is still is a rule that is just applied and seems to work in the real world. I have a vivid imagination about how energy is conserved. I just like to have the same vivid imagination about momentum conservation.
Do you have any idea how to explain?
If you understand that the force on an object tells you the rate of change of its momentum, and you understand that whenever two objects collide they exert equal and opposite forces on each other (as per Newton's 3rd law), then perhaps the fact that total momentum is always conserved in a collision will make more sense.

Read this tutorial: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/momentum/index.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Confused about the difference between impulse momentum and kinetic energy

1. What are impulse, momentum, and kinetic energy?

Impulse, momentum, and kinetic energy are all related to the motion of an object. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum over time, while momentum is the measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, and is calculated by multiplying half of its mass by its velocity squared.

2. How are impulse, momentum, and kinetic energy related?

Impulse is directly related to momentum, as a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum. Momentum is also related to kinetic energy, as an object with a greater momentum will have a higher kinetic energy. However, impulse and kinetic energy are not directly related.

3. When should we use impulse, momentum, or kinetic energy in calculations?

Impulse and momentum are often used when analyzing collisions or impacts, as they can help determine how much an object's momentum changes during the event. Kinetic energy is typically used to analyze an object's energy before and after a collision or to compare the energy of different objects.

4. Which is more important, impulse, momentum, or kinetic energy?

All three quantities are important in understanding an object's motion and behavior. Impulse and momentum are particularly important in collisions, as they can help determine the forces involved and the resulting changes in motion. Kinetic energy is important in understanding the energy of an object, which can affect its ability to do work or cause damage.

5. How can I remember the difference between impulse, momentum, and kinetic energy?

One helpful way to remember the difference is to think of a moving car. Impulse is the force applied to the car's brakes, momentum is the car's weight and speed, and kinetic energy is the car's ability to keep moving. Another way is to remember that impulse and momentum are related to forces and changes in motion, while kinetic energy is related to energy and an object's ability to do work.