Confused about projectile motion

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for solving problems involving 'tilted' projectile motion. One idea is to rotate the x and y axis to make the ground line horizontal and find the landing point without using parabola intersecting a line. Another approach is to define the ground as a function and solve for the intersection with the parabolic path of the projectile. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the components of initial velocity and acceleration in these problems.
oneplusone
I don't get how you would attempt problems with 'tilted' projectile motion.
So basically here's a situation:

You are standing on top of a building, and throw a ball down the hill (hill is linear). Find where it lands

Since you are standing on top a building, you have a Δy component, however wherever the ball lands, there's a Δy component there as well.

One idea i thought for these types of problems, is to rotate the 'x' and y axis, such that the x-axis is on the slope of the hill. However, since gravity DOESNT act perpendicular in this case, both the x and y component of the initial velocity of the object will have an acceleration. Would this method work?

ALso, is there any easier methods for these types of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description is not too clear. What is the relationship of the hill to the building?

Does this help?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 4.35.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 4.35.16 PM.png
    6 KB · Views: 517
oneplusone said:
Does this help?

Are you purposely trying to make the problem more difficult?

Zz.

Can you show us how you'd solve the problem if the projectile was shot over a flat surface, from the edge of the building?

We'll work from there.

Do NOT "rotate" any axis. Represent the slope as a straight line through the origin at, say, the base of the building. Find the equation of the parabolic path then where it crosses that straight line.

HallsofIvy said:
Do NOT "rotate" any axis.

Why not? It seems like a reasonable approach to me.

Are there any major disadvantages to using this method over the method of intersecting a line with a parabola? Or is it personal preference?

You're trying to find the intersection points between a parabola (describing the trajectory) and a straight line (the hill).

It is a lot simpler this way than trying to find an expression for the rotated parabola (which would require a parametric expression, f(x,y) = 0) and a flat line.

You'd essentially be making the hard part much harder, and the easy part slightly easier.

1. It is better to define the ground as an explicit function Y(x)
2. Then, find the kinematic position of the ball in terms of functions x(t) and y(t) as solved from Newton's laws of motion.
3. Remember that when the ball hits the ground at some time T, the following equation must hold:
Y(x(T))=y(T)
4. Solve for T, and you're practically finished.
5. Alternatively, you may solve for "t" in terms of x, and represent the curve the ball makes through the air by the function y(x). Then, the intersection point where the ball hits the ground is given by y(x)=Y(x)

Steps 1-4 are roughly as difficult/easy to perform as the procedure outlined in 5

mikeph said:
You're trying to find the intersection points between a parabola (describing the trajectory) and a straight line (the hill).

It is a lot simpler this way than trying to find an expression for the rotated parabola (which would require a parametric expression, f(x,y) = 0) and a flat line.

You'd essentially be making the hard part much harder, and the easy part slightly easier.

True. I guess I needed to give more detail. I wouldn't rotate the entire parabola. That would be silly.

I would just rotate the launch point, rotate the gravitation acceleration vector, and rotate the launch velocity. Now the "new" ground line (previously the incline) is horizontal, and we easily find the landing point without using parabola intersecting a line. Then of course we rotate the point back into the original frame.

Ok, I see what you mean. Yeah, this would work. Never thought about it this way before.

you just mark along incline x-axis and perpendicular to it y axis

acceleration will be gsinθ and gcosθ so make eqn accordingly

Related to Confused about projectile motion

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, such as a ball being thrown or a bullet being fired. It is a combination of both horizontal and vertical motion, and is affected by factors such as gravity and air resistance.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

The path of a projectile can be calculated using equations from kinematics, which take into account variables such as initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be solved using algebra or calculus.

3. What factors can affect projectile motion?

The main factors that affect projectile motion are initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. Other factors such as wind and altitude can also have an impact on the trajectory of a projectile.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down a projectile and change its trajectory. This is because as the projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which reduces its speed and alters its path.

5. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical motion in projectile motion?

Horizontal motion refers to the movement of the projectile in the direction parallel to the ground, while vertical motion refers to the movement in the direction perpendicular to the ground. In projectile motion, these two components are independent of each other, meaning that the horizontal velocity remains constant while the vertical velocity is affected by gravity.