Confused about Finding the Green Function

In summary: You still have not told us which differential equation you have ... based on your Green's function, I would say you have the harmonic oscillator, but how can we know if you do not tell us?You should be able to solve for the Green's function if you know the differential equation.
Summer95
Suppose we have a differential equation with initial conditions ##y_{0}=y^{\prime}_{0}=0## and we need to solve it using a Green Function. Then we set up our differential equation with the right side "forcing function" as ##\delta(t^{\prime}-t)## (or with ##t^{\prime}## and ##t## switched I'm a little confused about that) and want to solve this for the Green Function.

So what I have been trying to do is solve it for ##t<t^{\prime}## in which case the boundary conditions at ##0## apply. Then solve it for ##t>t^{\prime}## (without the boundary conditions at 0). And apply a continuity condition at ##t^{\prime}## kind of like ##G(t^{\prime},t^{\prime})=G(t^{\prime},t^{\prime})##. I know I am supposed to be able to find all of the constants (in terms of ##t^{\prime}##), but there are not enough conditions on this solution to find all of them. What am I missing?

Thank you very much in advance! I would be happy to also ask in terms of a specific example but I'm afraid it would be removed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Summer95 said:
or with t′t′t^{\prime} and ttt switched I'm a little confused about that
Don't be, the delta distribution is symmetric.

Summer95 said:
So what I have been trying to do is solve it for t<t′t<t′tt^{\prime} (without the boundary conditions at 0). And apply a continuity condition at t′t′t^{\prime} kind of like G(t′,t′)=G(t′,t′)G(t′,t′)=G(t′,t′)G(t^{\prime},t^{\prime})=G(t^{\prime},t^{\prime}). I know I am supposed to be able to find all of the constants (in terms of t′t′t^{\prime}), but there are not enough conditions on this solution to find all of them. What am I missing?
This depends on the problem you are trying to solve. It is not certain that you will get continuity. You need to take the derivative of your Green's function and identify which terms need to be zero. Hint: You already know your Green's function is zero for t<t', write the Green's function on the form G(t,t') = H(t-t') g(t,t'), insert it into the differential equation and identify the conditions g(t,t') has to fulfil at t=t'.

Orodruin said:
Don't be, the delta distribution is symmetric.
Ok, good! That makes sense.

Unfortunately I am still not getting it, when I assume continuity at ##t^{\prime}## I seem to be able to get one of the constants pretty successfully. I get ##G(t,t^{\prime})=C*sin\omega(t-t^{\prime})## When I try to use your hint I just end up with identities that don't tell me anything about ##g(t,t^{\prime})##.

Summer95 said:
Ok, good! That makes sense.

Unfortunately I am still not getting it, when I assume continuity at ##t^{\prime}## I seem to be able to get one of the constants pretty successfully. I get ##G(t,t^{\prime})=C*sin\omega(t-t^{\prime})## When I try to use your hint I just end up with identities that don't tell me anything about ##g(t,t^{\prime})##.
You still have not told us which differential equation you have ... based on your Green's function, I would say you have the harmonic oscillator, but how can we know if you do not tell us?

Why don't you show us what you get when you make the ansatz ##G(t,t') = H(t-t') g(t,t')##? Remember that ##H' = \delta## and that ##\delta'## is also a non-zero distribution.

Here is a different example of one of the problems I can't solve: ##y^{\prime \prime}+2y^{\prime}+y=f(t)## with initial conditions ##y_{0}=y^{\prime}_{0}=0## and ##f(t)=\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if } 0<t<a \\
0 & \text{if } t>a
\end{cases}##

##\frac {d^{2}} {dt^{2}} G(t,t^{\prime})+2\frac {d} {dt} G(t,t^{\prime})+G(t,t^{\prime})=\delta(t-t^{\prime})## of course if ##t\neq t^{\prime}## then ##\frac {d^{2}} {dt^{2}} G(t,t^{\prime})+2\frac {d} {dt} G(t,t^{\prime})+G(t,t^{\prime})=0## which has the general solution ##G(t,t^{\prime})=(At+B)e^{-t}##

If ##t<t^{\prime} ## then from the initial conditions ##0=Be^{-t} \rightarrow## ##B=0 \rightarrow## and from the other initial condition ##A=0## so ##G(t,t^{\prime})=0##.

If ##t>t^{\prime}## we still have ##G(t,t^{\prime})=(At+B)e^{-t}=(At+B)e^{-t^{\prime}}e^{-(t-t^{\prime})}##

So I tried plugging this into the DE, integrating and then differentiating and then evaluating at ##t=t^{\prime}## from which I obtained ##B=-e^{t^{\prime}}## and then to find A I used ##(At^{\prime}+B)e^{-t^{\prime}}=0## and obtained ##A=e^{-t^{\prime}}/t^{\prime}## but when I use these and try to integrate

##\int_0^t G(t,t^{\prime})dt^{\prime}## (for the ## t<a## case) this is cannot be evaluated so I presume have not found A and B correctly.

You are not following the procedure I described.

I also suggest always working with t' = 0 whenever the coefficients are constant. This will save you a lot of writing.

Problem:

##y^{\prime \prime}+2y^{\prime}+y=f(t)## with initial conditions ##y_{0}=y′_{0}=0## and ##f(t) = 1 \text{ if } 0<t<a \text{ or } 0 \text{ if } t>a ##

Here is my solution, in case it might help anyone, because I was able to find so few resources on solving these:

Think of the Greens function as the response of the system to a unit impulse at ##t^{\prime}##. This means that to find the Greens function you must solve ##\frac {d^{2}} {dt^{2}}g(t,t^{\prime})+2\frac {d} {dt}g(t,t^{\prime})+g(t,t^{\prime})=\delta(t,t^{\prime})## (The Greens function is ##g(t,t^{\prime})## lower case ##g##)

Take the Laplace Transform of both sides:

##p^{2}G+2pG+G=L(\delta(t,t^{\prime}))## or ##G=\frac {1} {(p+1)(p+1)}L(\delta(t,t^{\prime}))=L(te^{-t})L(\delta(t,t^{\prime}))##

Now use convolution to get ##g##:

##g(t,t^{\prime})=\int_0^t (t-\tau)e^{-(t-\tau)}\delta(\tau-t^{\prime})d\tau=\begin{cases} 0 & \text{if } t<t^{\prime} \\ (t-t^{\prime})e^{-(t-t^{\prime})} & \text{if } t>t^{\prime} \end{cases}##

But we have the forcing function ##f(t)## so imagine you are adding up the responses to some combination of unit functions and

##y(t)=\int_0^\infty g(t,t^{\prime})f(t^{\prime})dt^{\prime}## Compute for ##0<t<a## and ##t>a##
separately and the DE is solved.

Last edited:

Related to Confused about Finding the Green Function

1. What is a Green Function?

A Green Function is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It represents the response of a system to an impulse or point source. In other words, it helps determine the behavior of a system when it is subjected to a specific input.

2. How is a Green Function different from a regular function?

A Green Function is different from a regular function in that it is specific to a particular differential equation. It is a solution to the differential equation with a Dirac delta function as the input. It is also used to find the general solution to the differential equation by convolving it with the input function.

3. Why is the Green Function important in scientific research?

The Green Function is important in scientific research as it is a powerful tool for solving differential equations that arise in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It allows for a more efficient and accurate approach to problem-solving, making it a valuable tool for scientists.

4. How do you find the Green Function for a specific system?

The process of finding the Green Function for a specific system involves solving the differential equation with a Dirac delta function as the input. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of variation of parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Green Function?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Green Function. It can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also assumes that the system is time-invariant and has a finite response. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find the Green Function analytically, and numerical methods may be required.