Confused about basis vector notation

In summary: Thus, in summary, the basis vectors are represented with subscripts instead of superscripts because they are vectors, not co-vectors, and using superscripts would make the summing over the indices difficult to read.
snoopies622
Why are basis vectors represented with subscripts instead of superscripts? Aren’t they vectors too? Isn’t a vector a linear combination of basis vectors (and not basis co-vectors?)

In David McMahon’s Relativity Demystified, he says,

“We will often label basis vectors with the notation [itex]e_a[/itex]. Using the Einstein summation convention, a vector V can be written in terms of some basis as [itex] V=V^{a}e_{a}[/itex]. In this context the notation [itex]e_a[/itex] makes sense, because we can use it in the summation convention (this would not be possible with the cumbersome [itex] (\hat{i}, \hat{j}, \hat{k} ) [/itex] for example).”

But using the Einstein summation convention, [itex] V=V^{a}e_{a}[/itex] is the inner product of a vector and a co-vector, which is a scalar and not a vector at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
snoopies622 said:
But using the Einstein summation convention, V=Vaea V=V^{a}e_{a} is the inner product of a vector and a co-vector, which is a scalar and not a vector at all.

I'd like to see what someone more knowledgeable says, but I'd like to point out that the correct notation would be ##V = V^a \vec{e}_a##, not ##V = V^a e_a##, i.e. upper indices are used for components of vectors, but the indices on the basis are labeling four distinct vectors, not vector components. In fact, to represent a particular component of a basis vector, I believe I've seen the notation ##(\vec{e}_a)^b##.

Of course, there might be a more convincing reason, and I'd like to see others' responses to this, but obviously the lower index allows the summation convention to operate, so that would be one reason.

hmm . . So in that case, [itex] \vec{e_a} [/itex] would actually be a (1,1) tensor. Surprising, but it makes sense. I've seen just [itex] e_a [/itex] for basis vectors elsewhere too, but this is enough for me to believe that in every case that representation is incorrect. Thanks, axmls.

One early and extremely widespread version of the Einstein summation convention is to sum over repeated indices, but only if one is raised and the other is lowered (i.e., one is a superscript and the other is a subscript).

In the expression asked about:

V = Vα eα,

the eα are vectors, so the expression would not even make sense as an inner product (or equivalently, as a covector operating on a vector).

snoopies622 said:
hmm . . So in that case, [itex] \vec{e_a} [/itex] would actually be a (1,1) tensor. Surprising, but it makes sense. I've seen just [itex] e_a [/itex] for basis vectors elsewhere too, but this is enough for me to believe that in every case that representation is incorrect. Thanks, axmls.

Hmm. I don't see how it makes sense to view basis vectors as a [itex](1,1)[/itex] tensor. [itex]e_a[/itex] is just a labeled vector, and [itex]V^a e_a[/itex] just means [itex]V^0 e_0 + V^1 e_1 + V^2 e_2 + V^3 e_3[/itex]. It's definitely not any kind of product of a vector and a tensor. The result is not a scalar, it's a vector.

Here's the more general rule: If you have a legal expression with each of the upper-indices matched by a corresponding lower index (and summed over), the result is a geometric object that is independent of your choice of basis. If you look at the expression

[itex]V^a e_a[/itex]

It has two basis-dependent parts: [itex]V^a[/itex] will change depending on your basis, and so will [itex]e_a[/itex], but the combination [itex]V^a e_a[/itex] (summed over [itex]a[/itex]) has the same value in every basis (but the value is a vector, not a scalar).

This is a different point of view than the usual one that people are taught about vectors. People are often told something like "a 4-vector is a set of 4 numbers [itex]V^0, V^1, V^2, V^3[/itex] which transform in such-and-such a way under a change of coordinates". To me, it's more helpful to think that a 4-vector [itex]V[/itex] is a geometric object that is independent of coordinate systems, and the only role of a coordinate system if for picking a way to write that vector as a linear combination of other vectors: [itex]V = V^0 e_0 + V^1 e_1 + V^2 e_2 + V^3 e_3[/itex]. [itex]V[/itex] is not just the 4 numbers [itex]V^a[/itex], but is the linear combination [itex]V^a e_a[/itex].

1. What is basis vector notation?

Basis vector notation is a mathematical notation used to represent vectors in a specific coordinate system. It involves using a set of basis vectors, typically denoted as i, j, and k, to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in a given coordinate system.

2. Why is basis vector notation important?

Basis vector notation is important because it allows us to easily represent and manipulate vectors in different coordinate systems. This is particularly useful in physics and engineering, where different coordinate systems are often used to describe the same physical phenomena.

3. How is basis vector notation different from regular vector notation?

In regular vector notation, a vector is typically represented using its components, such as x, y, and z for a three-dimensional vector. In basis vector notation, the vector is represented as a linear combination of the basis vectors, such as v = ai + bj + ck. This allows us to describe the vector in terms of its direction and magnitude in a specific coordinate system.

4. How do I convert between basis vector notation and regular vector notation?

To convert from basis vector notation to regular vector notation, you can simply expand the linear combination of basis vectors using the components of the basis vectors. For example, v = ai + bj + ck can be written as v = a(1, 0, 0) + b(0, 1, 0) + c(0, 0, 1). To convert from regular vector notation to basis vector notation, you can use the dot product to find the coefficients of the basis vectors.

5. How do I know which basis vectors to use in a specific coordinate system?

The choice of basis vectors in a coordinate system is arbitrary, but there are certain conventions that are commonly used. For example, in a Cartesian coordinate system, the basis vectors are typically aligned with the x, y, and z axes. In a spherical coordinate system, the basis vectors are typically aligned with the radial, azimuthal, and polar directions. It is important to carefully define the basis vectors in a coordinate system to avoid confusion and ensure consistency in calculations.