Conformal invariance of null geodesics

In summary: Bump; can anyone help me?In summary, the author defines a parameter u = \frac{1}{2}\Omega2 and uses the chain rule to find that 0 = gab(dxa/du)(dxb/du). He is also coming up with the incorrect equation d2xa/ds2 + {\Gammaabc + (\deltaac\partialb\Omega + \deltaab\partialc\Omega - gadgbc\partiald\Omega) / \Omega}(dxb/ds)(dxc/ds). After reading Wald's book, the author finds that the non-affine geodesic equation is Xa\nablaa
PhyPsy
Hi, folks. I hope this is the right forum for this question. I'm not actually taking any classes, but I am doing self-study using D'Inverno's Introducing Einstein's Relativity. I have a solution, and I want someone to check it for me.

Homework Statement

Prove that the null geodesics of two conformally related metrics coincide.

Homework Equations

Conformally related metrics: [itex]\overline{g}[/itex]ab = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab
Null geodesics: 0 = gab(dxa/du)(dxb/du)

The Attempt at a Solution

I define the parameter u = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\Omega[/itex]2. Thus [itex]\frac{du}{d\Omega}[/itex] = [itex]\Omega[/itex].

Now, I use the chain rule on the null geodesics equation:
0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\frac{d\Omega}{du}[/itex](dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\frac{d\Omega}{du}[/itex]
0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])([itex]\frac{du}{d\Omega}[/itex])-2
0 = [itex]\Omega[/itex]2gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])[itex]\Omega[/itex]-2
0 = gab(dxa/d[itex]\Omega[/itex])(dxb/d[itex]\Omega[/itex]), which is the null geodesics equation with the new parameter [itex]\Omega[/itex].

So is this a legitimate proof of the coinciding of null geodesics of conformally related metrics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump; can anyone help me?

Hmm... is u a parameter for the geodesic? If so, I don't think you can relate it to Ω like that, because the proof should work for arbitrary conformal transformations including (for example) those where Ω is a constant.

PhyPsy said:
Bump; can anyone help me?

No, it's not right. 0 = gab(dxa/du)(dxb/du) isn't the geodesic equation. It's just says that it's a null curve. And those are obviously conformally invariant. Not all null curves are null geodesics. If you want to see the right way to do it look at Appendix D in Robert Wald's book General Relativity.

OK, I see now that I should be using the equation:
d2xa/ds2 + [itex]\Gamma[/itex]abc(dxb/ds)(dxc/ds) = 0

Unfortunately, I am coming up with
d2xa/ds2 + {[itex]\Gamma[/itex]abc + ([itex]\delta[/itex]ac[itex]\partial[/itex]b[itex]\Omega[/itex] + [itex]\delta[/itex]ab[itex]\partial[/itex]c[itex]\Omega[/itex] - gadgbc[itex]\partial[/itex]d[itex]\Omega[/itex]) / [itex]\Omega[/itex]}(dxb/ds)(dxc/ds) = 0
as the transformation. I don't see how that is invariant unless d[itex]\Omega[/itex] = 0, and I don't see any reason to make that assumption.

I think I will try looking for that Wald book you mentioned.

Update: Wow, thanks for that tip, Dick. The explanation in the Wald book really cleared things up. It starts by using the affine geodesic equation,
Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 0,
and uses a relation between covariant derivatives that I did not find in the Inverno book:
[itex]\overline{\nabla}[/itex]aXb = [itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb + TbacXc

I find how Tbac transforms conformally and get this equation:
Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 2XaXb[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex]) - gbdgacXaXc[itex]\nabla[/itex]d(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex])

Since it is a null geodesic, gacXaXc = 0, so the equation reduces to:
Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = 2XaXb[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex])

The non-affine geodesic equation is Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]aXb = [itex]\lambda[/itex]Xb, so I just define [itex]\lambda[/itex] = 2Xa[itex]\nabla[/itex]a(ln [itex]\Omega[/itex]), and the geodesic equation is satisfied. This is why the Inverno book gave the hint that both equations need not be affinely parametized.

Last edited:

Related to Conformal invariance of null geodesics

1. What is conformal invariance?

Conformal invariance is a property of a mathematical system where the geometric structure remains unchanged under a conformal transformation. This means that the angles between curves and the shape of the curves themselves remain the same after the transformation.

2. What are null geodesics?

Null geodesics are the paths followed by light rays in a four-dimensional space-time. They are the shortest possible paths between two points and are considered to be the trajectories of massless particles.

3. How does conformal invariance relate to null geodesics?

In the context of general relativity, conformal invariance of null geodesics means that the paths followed by light rays are unaffected by changes in the scale of the space-time metric. This property is important in studying the behavior of light in curved space-time.

4. What is an example of a conformal transformation in the context of null geodesics?

An example of a conformal transformation in this context is a change in the scale of the space-time metric, such as multiplying it by a constant factor. This would result in a change in the distances between points in the space-time, but the angles between curves and the shape of curves would remain the same.

5. Why is conformal invariance of null geodesics important in physics?

Conformal invariance of null geodesics plays an important role in various areas of physics, such as general relativity, cosmology, and quantum field theory. It allows us to study the behavior of light in a curved space-time and make predictions about the evolution of the universe. Additionally, it is a fundamental property of many physical theories and plays a key role in understanding the symmetries of the universe.