Confirming what I learned, a follow up differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a differential equation and applying it to a specific problem. The conversation also addresses formatting and typos in the original question. The final solution for the problem is y=(4cos(x^4)+1.1612)/(x^3).
stripedcat
With some help in this other thread

http://mathhelpboards.com/calculus-10/differiental-equation-question-particular-solutions-10864.html

I was able to see what I was doing wrong. Now I'm going to apply it to a different problem and see if I'm doing it right.

\(\displaystyle dy/dx+(3/x)y=-16sin x^4\), y(1)=1

There should be an integration symbol before that 3/x, so its e^ integration symbol. I don't know how to format it...

\(\displaystyle e^{ \int 3/x dx} = x^3\)

Multiply it out.

\(\displaystyle x^3 dy/dx+3x^2y = -16x^3sin(x^4)\)

Apply the rule

\(\displaystyle d/dx x^3y = -16x^3sin(x^4)\)

Integrate both sides dx

\(\displaystyle x^3y = -4cos(x^4) + C\)

Isolate y

\(\displaystyle y=(-4cos(x^4)+C)/(x^3)\)

Right so far?

Now for the y(1)=1

\(\displaystyle 1=(4cos(1)+C)/(1^3)\)

\(\displaystyle 1=(4cos(1)+C\)

\(\displaystyle 4cos(1) = ~2.1612\)

\(\displaystyle 1=2.1612+C\)

\(\displaystyle C=-1.1612\)

\(\displaystyle y=(4cos(x^4)+1.1612)/(x^3)\)

That right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can format your exponentiated integral like this:

e^{ \int f(x)\, dx}

\(\displaystyle e^{ \int f(x)\, dx }\)Or\exp \left( \int f(x)\, dx\ right)

\(\displaystyle \exp \left( \int f(x)\, dx\right)\)

Last edited:
There are several typos in the original question that I don't seem to be able to fix.

Should not be - in front of any of the 4cos for instance, and that should be - 1.1612

Still not sure if I should have that -1.1612 or the value for C I found.

Related to Confirming what I learned, a follow up differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how the rate of change of a variable is related to the value of the variable itself.

2. How do I confirm what I have learned about differential equations?

The best way to confirm your understanding of differential equations is to solve practice problems and check your solutions against the correct answers. You can also discuss your solutions with a mentor or tutor to get feedback and clarification.

3. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods include Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods such as Euler's method.

4. Why is it important to follow up on what I have learned about differential equations?

Following up on what you have learned about differential equations helps to solidify your understanding and identify any areas that may need further review. It also allows you to apply your knowledge to more complex problems and build upon your skills for future learning.

5. Are there any real-world applications for differential equations?

Yes, differential equations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, they can be used to model the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of electrical circuits.