Conductive fluids and magnetism

In summary, the fluid is magnetic and the magnetic field is due to the electric current in the fluid.
Getterdog
I've just started looking into MHD and am a bit confused.ive read the threads on moving charges,and special relativity. So I am thinking of this thought experiment.. we construct a test area shielded from all extraneous magnetic fields, in this area we have a torus shaped pipe and pump a electrolyte solution, around this circle, that is in a small element of this volume ,the charges all balance.as does the whole fluid.so all the charges move with the same velocity. Is a magnetic field generated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Getterdog said:
I've just started looking into MHD and am a bit confused.ive read the threads on moving charges,and special relativity. So I am thinking of this thought experiment.. we construct a test area shielded from all extraneous magnetic fields, in this area we have a torus shaped pipe and pump a electrolyte solution, around this circle, that is in a small element of this volume ,the charges all balance.as does the whole fluid.so all the charges move with the same velocity. Is a magnetic field generated?

There would be the large magnetic field produced by the all the electrons, and the large magnetic field produced by all the protons.

Those two magnetic fields would be overlapping very closely, the same way as the electric fields overlap.

Very close to the surface one could measure some electric field and some magnetic fields.

Does the fluid Lorentz-contract? If it does, then charge density increases producing larger E-fields, and current density increases producing larger magnetic fields.

Getterdog said:
Is a magnetic field generated?
The only magnetic field generated will be from electromagnetic radiation due to the Brownian motion of the charges in the fluid. This isn't very surprising though since all objects at nonzero temperature give off some electromagnetic radiation.
jartsa said:
Does the fluid Lorentz-contract? If it does, then charge density increases producing larger E-fields, and current density increases producing larger magnetic fields
I'm not sure how this relates to the problem since the average charge density is zero.

NFuller said:
The only magnetic field generated will be from electromagnetic radiation due to the Brownian motion of the charges in the fluid. This isn't very surprising though since all objects at nonzero temperature give off some electromagnetic radiation.

I'm not sure how this relates to the problem since the average charge density is zero.
jartsa said:
There would be the large magnetic field produced by the all the electrons, and the large magnetic field produced by all the protons.

Those two magnetic fields would be overlapping very closely, the same way as the electric fields overlap.

Very close to the surface one could measure some electric field and some magnetic fields.

Does the fluid Lorentz-contract? If it does, then charge density increases producing larger E-fields, and current density increases producing larger magnetic fields.

Well the fluid flow is not relativistic,and the charges balance everywhere, so I would assume these fields would cancel each other ,right?

NFuller said:
What was the problem? Maybe "do objects become magnetic when they move?" Well yes , "no" is quite good answer to that.

This has something to do with MHD, so maybe it would be relevant to consider an experiment were a conducting fluid is moved near a magnet.

The electric current is induced in the fluid. When there is an electric current in the fluid, then the fluid is magnetic.

The magnet had an effect on the fluid even before there was a current in the fluid, so somebody might say that the fluid was magnetic even then.

Related to Conductive fluids and magnetism

1. What are conductive fluids?

Conductive fluids are liquids or gases that have the ability to conduct electricity. This means that they allow electric current to flow through them easily, similar to how metal conducts electricity.

2. How do conductive fluids interact with magnetism?

Conductive fluids can interact with magnetism in several ways. When a magnetic field is applied to a conductive fluid, it can induce an electric current to flow through the fluid. The fluid can also interact with magnetic fields by becoming magnetized itself, which can then affect the movement of the fluid.

3. What are some examples of conductive fluids?

Some common examples of conductive fluids include saltwater, mineral oil, mercury, and liquid metals such as mercury and gallium. These fluids are often used in various scientific and industrial applications that require the conduction of electricity.

4. How are conductive fluids used in technology?

Conductive fluids have a wide range of applications in technology. They are commonly used in electronics, such as in batteries and capacitors, to help conduct electricity. They are also used in cooling systems for electronics and as lubricants in mechanical systems. Additionally, conductive fluids are used in various medical devices and industrial processes.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with conductive fluids?

Yes, there can be potential hazards associated with conductive fluids. These fluids can be flammable and may pose a fire risk. They can also be toxic or corrosive, depending on the specific fluid. It is important to handle these fluids with caution and follow proper safety protocols when working with them.