Conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field

In summary, conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field refers to the loss of energy as heat when an electrically conductive disc is placed in an oscillating electromagnetic field. This can have negative effects on electronic devices, such as decreased efficiency and potential damage. The amount of power dissipation depends on factors such as material, thickness, frequency, and shape of the disc. To reduce power dissipation, materials with lower electrical conductivity and magnetic permeability can be used, and the disc's design can be optimized. This phenomenon is important to consider in the design and use of electronic devices, as well as in wireless power transfer systems.
Emspak

Homework Statement

A disc of conductivity σ is in an axial magnetic field B = B0cosωt

The disc has radius a and thickness s

Homework Equations

possibly dP/dv = JE (dot product of two vectors) but I have absolutely no clue if it is relevant or not.

I think J=σE might be relevant, but I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin with this. I know that P= I V but I am completely lost as to whether or not I am supposed to derive the potential difference from the magnetic field, or what. This should be a simple plug- and - chug problem, but I can't seem to figure out where to begin, and I am feeling stupid because this is the first one in the problem set. Am I supposed to derive the electric field from the B field?

Physics news on Phys.org

your first step should be to carefully read and understand the problem statement. In this case, you are given a disc of conductivity σ in an axial magnetic field B = B0cosωt, with specified dimensions (radius a and thickness s). From this information, you can infer that the disc is likely made of a conducting material, and that it is being subjected to a time-varying magnetic field.

Next, you should try to identify any relevant equations or principles that you can apply to solve the problem. In this case, you correctly identified the equation J=σE as potentially relevant, as it relates the current density (J) to the electric field (E) and conductivity (σ). You also correctly identified the equation for power (P=IV), but you are unsure of how to apply it in this context.

To solve this problem, you will likely need to use a combination of these equations, as well as possibly others. Your goal is to determine the potential difference (V) across the disc, given the magnetic field and its dimensions. To do this, you will need to consider the relationship between the magnetic field, electric field, and current density. You may also need to consider the geometry of the disc and how it is oriented with respect to the magnetic field.

It may also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and think about what is happening at each step. For example, you could consider the induced electric field within the disc due to the changing magnetic field, and then use that to determine the current density and ultimately the potential difference.

In summary, as a scientist, your approach should be to carefully read and understand the problem, identify relevant equations and principles, and then break the problem down into smaller steps to help guide your thinking and problem-solving process. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification if you are stuck, and remember that it's okay to feel unsure or confused at first – that's often a normal part of the problem-solving process!

Related to Conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field

1. What is conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field?

Conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field refers to the amount of energy that is lost as heat when an electrically conductive disc is placed in an oscillating electromagnetic field. This phenomenon is also known as eddy current losses.

2. How does conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field affect electronic devices?

Eddy current losses can cause unwanted heating in electronic devices, which can lead to decreased efficiency and potential damage. It is important to consider this type of power dissipation when designing and using electronic devices.

3. What factors affect the amount of power dissipation in a conductive disc?

The amount of power dissipation in a conductive disc depends on several factors, including the material and thickness of the disc, the frequency and strength of the oscillating field, and the shape and size of the disc.

4. How can the power dissipation in a conductive disc be reduced?

To reduce power dissipation in a conductive disc, materials with lower electrical conductivity can be used, the thickness of the disc can be decreased, and the shape and size of the disc can be optimized for the specific application. Additionally, using materials with lower magnetic permeability can also help reduce eddy current losses.

5. What are some real-world applications of conductive disc power dissipation in oscillating field?

Conductive disc power dissipation is a common phenomenon in various electronic devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also an important consideration in the design of wireless power transfer systems, where power dissipation in conductive materials can affect the efficiency of the system.