Conducting slidewire see system-Faraday's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a conducting slidewire system with a sliding wire of mass m and resistance R, and a fixed wire loop with zero resistance and lying perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field B. The use of Faraday's Law is then discussed to determine the maximum velocity of the slidewire, which is found to be v=-ɛ/BL. The conversation also delves into the power dissipated at the peak velocity, which is calculated to be P=(B^2L^2v^2)/R. The use of differentiation to maximize v is also mentioned, along with the overall current I=|ɛ|/R.
Gemma95

Homework Statement

A conducting slidewire system is set up as shown. The sliding wire has mass m and electrical resistance R and falls under gravity as shown. The fixed wire loop has zero resistance and lies perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field B shown pointing into the page.
i) Use Faraday's Law to determine the maximum velocity of the slidewire.
ii) How much power is dissipated at the peak velocity?

Homework Equations

ɛ=-dФ/dt
P=(I^2)R

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined the area vector as pointing in the same direction as the magnetic field, so
ɛ=-B(dA/dt)
In time dt the slidewire moves a distance vdt, giving ɛ=-BLv where L is the width of the slidewire.
I think I am simplifying the problem too much by simply rearranging for v in this equation and obtaining
v=-ɛ/BL -should I differentiate in order to maximise v? I feel I am missing something by not including the given mass m.

For the second part, overall current I=|ɛ|/R, so I=BLv/R
P=I^2R=(BLv/R)^2/R

P(dissipated)=(B^2L^2v^2)/R

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
But with v=-ɛ/BL you haven't determined v yet, have you !?

Is there something that stops you from answering e.g. ## v = -{\tfrac 1 2} g t^2 ## ?

[edit]
Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated
Not so certain my help has helped. Can you enlighten me ?

Last edited:

Related to Conducting slidewire see system-Faraday's Law

1. What is a slidewire see system?

A slidewire see system is a device used to measure the strength and direction of an electric current. It consists of a slidewire, which is a conductor that can move along a fixed path, and a galvanometer, which is a device that measures the current flowing through the slidewire.

2. How does Faraday's Law relate to a slidewire see system?

Faraday's Law states that when a conductor moves through a magnetic field, an electric current is induced in the conductor. In a slidewire see system, the slidewire moves through a magnetic field, generating a current that is measured by the galvanometer.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a slidewire see system?

The accuracy of a slidewire see system can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed and direction of the slidewire's movement, and the resistance of the slidewire itself. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the accuracy of the system.

4. How is a slidewire see system used in scientific research?

A slidewire see system is often used in scientific experiments to measure the strength of electric currents. It can also be used to study the behavior of magnetic fields and the relationship between electricity and magnetism.

5. Are there any limitations to using a slidewire see system?

One limitation of a slidewire see system is that it can only measure the strength and direction of direct currents (DC). Alternating currents (AC) cannot be accurately measured with this system. Additionally, the size and weight of the slidewire and galvanometer can limit its portability and ease of use in certain experiments.