Conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable (Intro to Electromagnetics)

In summary: PHYS courses. In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation G' = -2 pi σ rho ln(b/a), but was having trouble understanding how to do the integrals and ended up getting the correct answer by direct substitution.
peterpiper

Homework Statement

Starting with:

G = [itex]\frac{I}{V}= \frac{-\int_{s}\sigma\mathbf{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol{s}}{-\int_{l}\boldsymbol{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol{l}}[/itex]

Derive the conductance per unit length, G', of a coaxial cable by assuming a line charge of [itex]\rho_{l}[/itex] on the center conductor.

Homework Equations

[itex]\boldsymbol{E}=\boldsymbol{\hat{r}}\frac{\rho _{l}}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/itex]

Let a be the radius of the inner conductor and let b be the radius of the outer conductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far my only attempt has been plugging E straight into the integrals with the region of integration being a to b on both integrals and 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] on the double integral. I get the correct coefficient of [itex]2\pi\sigma[/itex] but I'm supposed to have a ln(b/a) in the denominator. I'm kinda baffled as to what I'm supposed to do. I'm assuming I'm doing something stupid in the double integral but those never were my strong suit in math. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the last bit of work I need to do to finish my E-Mag course. Thanks in advance for anything you may be able to offer me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The numerator can be evaluated algebraically because of the symmetry of the E field on any coaxial cylindrical surface. The denominator is a trivial integral. It's hard to imagine how you got it wrong without seeing how your integrations were done.
peterpiper said:

Homework Statement

Starting with:

G = [itex]\frac{I}{V}= \frac{-\int_{s}\sigma\mathbf{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol{s}}{-\int_{l}\boldsymbol{E}\cdot d\boldsymbol{l}}[/itex]

Derive the conductance per unit length, G', of a coaxial cable by assuming a line charge of [itex]\rho_{l}[/itex] on the center conductor.

Homework Equations

[itex]\boldsymbol{E}=\boldsymbol{\hat{r}}\frac{\rho _{l}}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/itex]

Let a be the radius of the inner conductor and let b be the radius of the outer conductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far my only attempt has been plugging E straight into the integrals with the region of integration being a to b on both integrals and 0 to 2[itex]\pi[/itex] on the double integral. I get the correct coefficient of [itex]2\pi\sigma[/itex] but I'm supposed to have a ln(b/a) in the denominator. I'm kinda baffled as to what I'm supposed to do. I'm assuming I'm doing something stupid in the double integral but those never were my strong suit in math. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is the last bit of work I need to do to finish my E-Mag course. Thanks in advance for anything you may be able to offer me.

For the surface integral I did this:

[itex]-\sigma\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{\rho_{l}}{2\pi\epsilon_0r}drd\phi=-\sigma\int_{a}^{b}\frac{2\pi\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_0r}dr=\frac{-\sigma\rho_l}{\epsilon_0}ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

For the line integral I did this:

[itex]\int_{a}^{b}\frac{\rho_{l}}{2\pi\epsilon_0r}dr= \frac{\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_0}ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

This leaves me with a result of [itex]-2\pi\sigma[/itex] correct?

Last edited:
The surface integral represents how many charges leaked through a cylindrical surface per unit time. Select such a surface somewhere between the inner and outer conductor by selecting a fixed r. Hence the r should be constant in the first integral. An notice that E is perpendicular and uniform to the surface everywhere.

peterpiper said:
For the surface integral I did this:
[itex]-\sigma\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b}\frac{\rho_{l}}{2\pi\epsilon_0r}drd\phi=-\sigma\int_{a}^{b}\frac{2\pi\rho_l}{2\pi\epsilon_0r}dr=\frac{-\sigma\rho_l}{\epsilon_0}ln(\frac{b}{a})[/itex]

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Maybe a picture helps. The surface you're trying to integrate is the blue one as shown in the picture. http://www.physics.sjsu.edu/becker/physics51/images/23_16Cylinder.JPG

since r is constant, you don't need to integrate. the E field is uniform on and perpendicular to the surface. You don't need to integrate at all.

peterpiper said:
I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.

Likes peterpiper
You don't need to integrate to get I. You do need to integrate to get V.

The reason you don't need to integrate to get I is that E(r) ~ 1/r and S ~ r so the r's cancel.

But when you do the line integral of abE*dr you are actually integrating.

You can double-check your answer by computing the total resistance R from r = a to r = b directly, then G = 1/R = I/V.

Likes peterpiper
Thank you so much for that. I feel ridiculous for not just drawing a picture. It's funny how PHYS212 gets overshadowed by ENGE360.

peterpiper said:
Thank you so much for that. I feel ridiculous for not just drawing a picture. It's funny how PHYS212 gets overshadowed by ENGE360.

So what's your answer?

[itex]\frac{2\pi\sigma}{ln(\frac{b}{a})}[/itex]

bingo!
peterpiper said:

Likes peterpiper
peterpiper said:

Bingo again! Good work!

Likes peterpiper

Related to Conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable (Intro to Electromagnetics)

1. What is conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable?

Conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable is a measure of how easily electric current flows through the cable. It is represented by the symbol G and is the inverse of the cable's resistance per unit length.

2. How is conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable measured?

Conductance per unit length is typically measured in units of siemens per meter (S/m). It can be calculated by dividing the cable's cross-sectional area by its resistance per unit length.

3. What factors affect the conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable?

The conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable is affected by the material of the cable, its diameter, and the length of the cable. It can also be influenced by external factors, such as temperature and electromagnetic interference.

4. How does conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable impact signal transmission?

The higher the conductance per unit length of a cable, the lower its resistance and the easier it is for electric current to flow. This results in better signal transmission and less loss of energy as the signal travels through the cable.

5. Can the conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable be increased?

Yes, the conductance per unit length of a co-axial cable can be increased by using materials with higher conductivity, increasing the cable's diameter, or reducing the length of the cable. Additionally, using shielding to protect the cable from external interference can also improve its conductance per unit length.