Conditions for existance of definite integral

In summary, the conditions for a continuous even function f to have a finite improper integral are that the limit for a->infinity of F(a)-F(0) must be finite, where F is the antiderivative of f. This is not always true, as some functions may not have an antiderivative. For functions with only positive values, the Cauchy criterion and the comparison test can be used to determine the convergence of an improper integral. These results can be found in most real analysis textbooks, such as Robert G. Bartle's "The Elements of Real Analysis."
mnb96
Hello,
what are the conditions that a continuous even function f must satisfy in order to have [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f(x)dx < \infty[/tex] ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
well, use the definition of the improper integral. the answer to your question is more than obvious if you follow the definition and proprieties of even continuous functions.

tip: only one "part" needs to converge to a finite value.

I guess part of the answer would be that:

the limit for [itex]a\rightarrow +\infty [/itex] of the quantity [itex]F(a)-F(0)[/itex] must be finite.
Here, F denotes the antiderivative of f. Note that now I temporarily assumed that f has an antiderivative, which is not true in general.

- What about functions that don't have an antiderivative but have a proper integral like simple Gaussian functions? Can we state conditions under which such functions surely have a finite integral?

Last edited:
mnb96 said:
What about functions that don't have an antiderivative but have a proper integral like simple Gaussian functions? Can we state conditions under which such functions surely have a finite integral?

You're asking a fairly general question but expect a specific answer. :)

There are a few tricks we can use to test if an improper integral converges but most of them have certain restrictions... so yes we can state conditions under which certain functions have an improper integral, but at the cost of generality.

The most general criterion for the convergence of an improper integral is the Cauchy one... but being general it's also relatively hard to verify.

In the end you have to chose what's more "convenient" .

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems the forum is screwing my text code.
but no that's not the Cauchy criterion you need (I'll try and write the correct one again, maybe it'll work this time).

as for the second question, yes there are a few results you can use if the function has only positive values.

I'll try to post everything in my next post (the forum is eating or breaking my tex now).

the Cauchy criterion for the convergence of an improper integral:

for [tex]f[/tex] : [a, [tex]\infty[/tex] ) [tex]\longrightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] , [tex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
that is integrable on [a, c] , for any c > a
[tex]\int_{a}^{\infty}f[/tex]
exists if and only if for any positive [tex]\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]
[tex]\exists K_{\epsilon} \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] such that
[tex]| \int_{c}^{b}f | < \epsilon[/tex]
for any b,
b >= c >= [tex]K_{\epsilon}[/tex]

Last edited:
if your function has only positive values
[tex]\int_{a}^{\infty}f[/tex]
converges if and only if the set
[tex]H = \{ I_c | \ I_c = \int_{a}^{c} f , c > a \}[/tex]
is bounded.
in this case
[tex]\int_{a}^{\infty}f = sup H[/tex]

another criterion: if there is another positive function g, such that [tex]f(x} <= g(x)[/tex] for any x > a,
if the infinite integral of g converges the integral of f also converges and is between 0 and the integral of g.

sorry for the late reply

Hi,
thanks a lot for your answers.
That was pretty much what I was looking for.
If you have time, could you please point out some reference to those results you wrote? (title of a book, internet page, or anything...)
Thanks.

Hello,

All the results are standard stuff and you can find them in most real analysis textbooks.
A specific example... well you can find them in Robert G. Bartle's, https://www.amazon.com/dp/047105464X/?tag=pfamazon01-20.
Sorry, I don't know any online material for them but I think you can find what you need at a library.

Glad I could help and sorry I answered late. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Conditions for existance of definite integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on an x-axis. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

2. What are the conditions for the existence of a definite integral?

The main conditions for the existence of a definite integral are that the function is continuous on the interval of integration and the interval is finite.

3. Can a definite integral exist if the function is not continuous?

No, a definite integral cannot exist if the function is not continuous. In order for the integral to be defined, the function must be continuous on the entire interval of integration.

4. What is the role of the interval of integration in the existence of a definite integral?

The interval of integration is crucial for the existence of a definite integral. The function must be continuous on the entire interval in order for the integral to exist. Additionally, the interval must be finite, as the integral represents the area under the curve between two points on the x-axis.

5. Are there any other conditions that must be met for the existence of a definite integral?

Yes, there are a few other conditions that must be met for the existence of a definite integral. The function must be well-behaved on the interval of integration, meaning it cannot have any vertical asymptotes or infinite discontinuities. Additionally, the function must be integrable, meaning that it can be split into smaller, simpler functions that can be integrated.