Conditional Statements only if.

• Thread starter embphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conditional
In summary, the statement "p only if q" means that q is a necessary condition for p to occur. This can also be expressed as "p implies q" meaning that if p occurs, then q must also occur. The two statements are equivalent and have the same logical outcomes.
embphysics
Conditional Statements "only if."

For some reason, be it some bad habit or something else, I can not understand why the statement "p only if q" would translate into p implies q. For instance, I have the statement "Samir will attend the party only if Kanti will be there." The way I interpret this is, "It is true that Samir will attend the party only if it is true that Kanti will be at the party;" which, in my mind, becomes "If Kanti will be at the party, then Samir will be there."

Can someone convince me of the right way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If Samir is at the party, then it also implies that Kanti will be there. Since you know Samir will only attend if Kanti attends.

So if you have p, then it implies q.

It doesn't work the same the other way around, having q doesn't always imply you also have p unless the statement is true both ways. So Kanti could attend the party, but Samir decides to sleep in instead.

So you could have q without p. Although the example above isn't a very good one because you explicitly said Samir will attend if Kanti is there, which implies that the statement works both ways. However, p only if q, doesn't give any information if q always guarantees the existence of p, so the the safer bet is to assume q can exist independently of p, but p requires the existence of q.

Is this your question?

Last edited:
Just write a truth table. P only if Q will mean that P will never be true whenever Q is false.

P: T
Q: T
P only if Q: T

P: T
Q: F
P only if Q: F

P: F
Q: T

P: F
Q: F

Thus, P only if Q is false when P is true and Q is false, and true otherwise. Thus it is equivalent to P => Q

embphysics said:
The way I interpret this is, "It is true that Samir will attend the party only if it is true that Kanti will be at the party;" which, in my mind, becomes "If Kanti will be at the party, then Samir will be there."

But this is explicitly wrong.

The first sentence is false whenever Samir attends but Kanti does not, because we said that Samir will only be there when Kanti is. The first statement is S => K

The second sentence still allows for Samir to attend without Kanti. This statement is K=> S

embphysics said:
For some reason, be it some bad habit or something else, I can not understand why the statement "p only if q" would translate into p implies q. For instance, I have the statement "Samir will attend the party only if Kanti will be there." The way I interpret this is, "It is true that Samir will attend the party only if it is true that Kanti will be at the party;" which, in my mind, becomes "If Kanti will be at the party, then Samir will be there."

Can someone convince me of the right way?

"p only if q" means "you can't have p without q" means "if you have p you must have q" means "p implies q"

"p is going to the party only if q is going to the party" means "p doesn't go without q" means "if p is going, then q must be going too" means "p is going to the party implies q is going to the party"

(In this case, p might not go, even if q goes, but he won't go without him! So, you don't have q implies p)

No, everyone, I am familiar with the definition of a conditional statement (that is, when it is true and when it is false); and I am well-acquainted with truth tables. I am having an issue with interpreting what "p only if q" translates to. Read my original post, that it exactly what I said.

P only if q: q is a necessary condition for p. Therefore p implies q.

Blahdeblah, you, just as everyone else, have only spewed facts. I am asking for insight as to why "p only if q" translates into "p implies q." I understand what a necessary condition is, but why is q the necessary condition?

You misinterpreted your own example. Samir will be present only if Kanti is present. This allows Kanti to turn up at the party beforehand without Samir. In which case your last assertion is incorrect.

I think it is the difference between "only if" and "if and only if".

Three cases:
If Manti is at the party then I will be there
- doesn't exclude the possibility that I will be there if Manti is not
Only if Manti is at the party. Then I will be there
- doesn't exclude the possibility that I might not be there if Manti is
If and only if Manti is at the party then I will be there
- if Manti is there then I will be too. If Manti is not there, then neither will I.

I hope this is clear enough.

P can only exist if q exists. That's all the statement is trying to tell you.

Did you read my post? I'm not sure how you can put it another way.

embphysics said:
Blahdeblah, you, just as everyone else, have only spewed facts. I am asking for insight as to why "p only if q" translates into "p implies q." I understand what a necessary condition is, but why is q the necessary condition?

P implies Q
Let P
Then Q

Thus, Q occurs any time P does. P does not occur without Q. Thus P only if Q.

What else is there? I don't understand what you're asking. What do you mean by "translate?" They are two ways of saying the same thing because the truth tables match, that's all that matters. Seeing that they have the same logical outcomes means they are the same, period. Asking how they "translate" doesn't mean anything.

Related to Conditional Statements only if.

1. What is the definition of a conditional statement "only if"?

A conditional statement "only if" is a logical statement that expresses a necessary condition for a particular outcome to occur. It means that the outcome will only happen if the necessary condition is met.

2. How is a conditional statement "only if" written in symbolic form?

A conditional statement "only if" can be written in symbolic form as "p only if q", where p represents the necessary condition and q represents the outcome.

3. What is the difference between a conditional statement "only if" and a conditional statement "if and only if"?

A conditional statement "only if" expresses a necessary condition for an outcome to occur, while a conditional statement "if and only if" expresses a necessary and sufficient condition for an outcome to occur. This means that the outcome will happen if and only if the necessary condition is met.

4. How is a conditional statement "only if" used in scientific research?

In scientific research, conditional statements "only if" are often used to establish cause-and-effect relationships between variables. By identifying necessary conditions for a particular outcome, scientists can make predictions and test hypotheses.

5. Can a conditional statement "only if" be false?

Yes, a conditional statement "only if" can be false. This would occur if the necessary condition is not met, therefore the outcome will not happen. However, if the necessary condition is met, the outcome will always be true.