Condition to not let the block descend

In summary, we are given a system where block m2 is prevented from descending by pulling block m1 to the right with force F, and all surfaces are frictionless. Using the free body diagrams of m1, m2, and m3, we can form a set of equations and solve for the acceleration of m1 and m3 along the x-direction. By setting the accelerations of m1 and m3 equal to each other, we can solve for F, which is equal to (m1 + m2) * (m2 / m3) * g.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

In the system shown in Fig. ##2E.5 (a)##. block ##m_2## is being prevented from descending by pulling ##m_1## to the right with force ##F##. Assuming all the surfaces to be frictionless, Find ##F##
Picture related to the question.jpg

Homework Equations

F.B.D of ##m_1##
alturist.PNG

From the F.B.D of ##m_1## we get the following equations:-
$$F=m_{1}a_{m_1}\tag{1}$$
$$N_1+m_1g-N_2=0 \implies N_1+m_1g=N_2\tag{2}$$

F.B.D of ##m_2##
dabura.PNG

From the F.B.D of ##m_2##, we get the following equation:-
$$m_2g-T=m_2a\tag{3}$$

F.B.D of ##m_3##
vegeta.PNG

From the F.B.D of ##m_3## , we get the following set of equations:-
$$m_3g-N_1=0 \implies m_3g=N_1\tag{4}$$
$$T=m_3a\tag{5}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From eq. ##(3)## and ##(5)##, we get
$$a=\frac{m_2}{m_2+m_3}g$$

Now, for ##m_2## to not descend, the condition required is $$\vec{a}_{m_3/m_2}=0\implies \vec{a}_{m_3}-\vec{a}_{m_2}=0\implies \vec{a}_{m_3}=\vec{a}_{m_2}$$
From ##(1)##, we have
$$\vec{a}_{m_1}=\frac{\vec{F}}{m_1}$$
$$\therefore F=\frac{m_1m_2}{m_2+m_3}g$$

The book gives the answer as $$F=(m_1+m_2+m_3)\frac{m_2}{m_3}g$$.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi decentfellow, Welcome to PF!

If all surfaces are frictionless as stated in the problem, how can ##m_2## pull ##m_1## in a horizontal direction? What supports the pulley?

By the way, so insert inline LaTeX, use '##' as a delimiter rather than '$'.

gneill said:
Hi decentfellow, Welcome to PF!

If all surfaces are frictionless as stated in the problem, how can ##m_2## pull ##m_1## in a horizontal direction? What supports the pulley?

By the way, so insert inline LaTeX, use '##' as a delimiter rather than '$'.

Okay, now that I see, the book had not attached a support for the pulley to the mass ##m_1##, so do consider that. I think that attaching a support to the mass ##m_1## ,resolves the issue as to how does the ##m_3## gets pulled due to the weight of mass ##m_2##. Sorry for poorly stating my question. Also in my solution consider that the ##N_2## in the F.B.D of ##m_1## at the top of the mass is ##N_1##.

I think I see where some confusion might arise from the way the problem is stated. It's not m2 that pulls on the block m1. Consider that some external agency is providing a force F on block m1 and is accelerating the system to the right:

upload_2016-8-27_13-54-51.png

What can you say about any forces that might exist between m1 and m2 if the system is being accelerated to the right?

gneill said:
I think I see where some confusion might arise from the way the problem is stated. It's not m2 that pulls on the block m1. Consider that some external agency is providing a force F on block m1 and is accelerating the system to the right:

View attachment 105170

What can you say about any forces that might exist between m1 and m2 if the system is being accelerated to the right?
If what you say is that the mass ##m_2## does not pull ##m_3##, then there is no need of any external force to be put on the block ##m_1##, so as to not let ##m_2## slip. I think the weight of ##m_2## does produce some tension in the string, which connects it to ##m_3##, hence producing an acceleration in ##m_3## along the ##x-## direction.

decentfellow said:
If what you say is that the mass ##m_2## does not pull ##m_3##, then there is no need of any external force to be put on the block ##m_1##, so as to not let ##m_2## slip. I think the weight of ##m_2## does produce some tension in the string, which connects it to ##m_3##, hence producing an acceleration in ##m_3## along the ##x-## direction.

No, ##m_2## definitely exerts a force on ##m_3## via the tension in the string, but the reason that this does not cause block ##m_2## to descend is that something else counters that tension force.

Suppose for a moment that block ##m_1## was fixed in place. Then I think you'd agree that ##m_2## would descend and pull ##m_3## to the right. What the question proposes is that block ##m_1## is free to move and that some external force F is applied to it in such a way that the result is block ##m_2## does not descend. The idea is to find that force F which accomplishes this "static" situation for ##m_2## and ##m_3##, and the whole system is accelerated by F without ##m_2## descending.

Likes decentfellow
gneill said:
No, ##m_2## definitely exerts a force on ##m_3## via the tension in the string, but the reason that this does not cause block ##m_2## to descend is that something else counters that tension force.

Suppose for a moment that block ##m_1## was fixed in place. Then I think you'd agree that ##m_2## would descend and pull ##m_3## to the right. What the question proposes is that block ##m_1## is free to move and that some external force F is applied to it in such a way that the result is block ##m_2## does not descend. The idea is to find that force F which accomplishes this "static" situation for ##m_2## and ##m_3##, and the whole system is accelerated by F without ##m_2## descending.

From the figure that you provided, I get that the masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## are in contact hence due to a force acting on ##m_1##, there will be a normal reaction acting between them, so the F.B.D of ##m_1## and ##m_2## should be changed as follows:-
1)F.B.D of ##m_1##
gadha.PNG

2)F.B.D of ##m_2##
pagal.PNG

From the above FBDs, we get the following set of equations:-
$$N_1+N_2=m_1g\tag{1}$$
$$F-N_3=m_1a_{m_1}\tag{2}$$
$$m_2g-T=m_2a\tag{3}$$
$$N_3=m_2a_{m_1}\tag{4}$$

From the above set of equations, we get
$$a_{m_1}=\dfrac{F}{m_1+m_2}$$

Also, as we have already found ##a_{m_3}=\dfrac{m_2}{m_3}g##.

Now for no relative motion between ##m_3## and ##m_1##, ##a_{m_1m_2}=0##

So, $$a_{m_1}=a_{m_3}\implies \dfrac{F}{m_1+m_2}=\dfrac{m_2}{m_3}g\implies F=(m_1+m_2)\dfrac{m_2}{m_3}g$$

Still, the book's answer is different from mine so I think I am still doing something wrong, if that is so please point it out.

decentfellow said:
From the above set of equations, we get
$$a_{m_1}=\dfrac{F}{m_1+m_2}$$
If the pulley is attached to ##m_1## then the horizontal and vertical forces applied to it via the tension in the ropes will be transferred to ##m_1## (we assume a massless pulley here). So ##m_3## should have a contribution to the overall acceleration of the system via the tension in the string.

Looking at it another way (perhaps a bit more intuitively), as none of the masses are allowed to move with respect to each other under the specified conditions, the entire system of blocks moves as a whole and so all of them are being accelerated by force F. So what's the total mass being accelerated by F?

Likes decentfellow
gneill said:
If the pulley is attached to ##m_1## then the horizontal and vertical forces applied to it via the tension in the ropes will be transferred to ##m_1## (we assume a massless pulley here). So ##m_3## should have a contribution to the overall acceleration of the system via the tension in the string.

Looking at it another way (perhaps a bit more intuitively), as none of the masses are allowed to move with respect to each other under the specified conditions, the entire system of blocks moves as a whole and so all of them are being accelerated by force F. So what's the total mass being accelerated by F?
Finally understood it, thanks for all the time, I will write the final solution below.

So from the first part of your suggestion the modified F.B.D of ##m_1## will be:-
bamboo.PNG

So, we get $$F-T-N_3=m_1a_{m_1}$$
Now, as $$N_3=m_2a_{m_1}$$
$$\therefore F=T+(m_1+m_2)a_{m_1}$$
As, on applying the force all the masses are going to be accelerated with te same acceleration and ##m_2## would not be descending so we have $$T=m_3a_{m_1}$$
And,$$T=m_2g$$
$$\therefore a_{m_1}=\frac{m_2}{m_3}g$$
So, $$F=T+(m_1+m_2)a_{m_1} \implies F=(m_1+m_2+m_3)\frac{m_2}{m_3}g$$

Bravo! Looks good.

gneill said:
Bravo! Looks good.

One, thing I noticed was that when the mass ##m_1## doesn't move, i.e. there is no force acting on it, then the tension in the string is the weight of the reduced mass of the system which includes ##m_3g, m_2g## and ##T##. I will be showing my work below.

From equations ##(3)## and ##(5)## in the first post, we get
$$T=m_3a$$ And, $$m_2g-T=m_2a$$
So, we get $$T=\dfrac{m_2m_3}{m_2+m_3}g$$
As we know, the reduced mass of ##m_2## and ##m_3## is given by ##\mu=\dfrac{m_2m_3}{m_2+m_3}##
So, ##T=\mu g##

Why is it that the tension comes out to be the reduced mass of ##m_2## and ##m_3##.

decentfellow said:
One, thing I noticed was that when the mass ##m_1## doesn't move, i.e. there is no force acting on it, then the tension in the string is the weight of the reduced mass of the system which includes ##m_3g, m_2g## and ##T##. I will be showing my work below.

From equations ##(3)## and ##(5)## in the first post, we get
$$T=m_3a$$ And, $$m_2g-T=m_2a$$
No. T only gives the vertical component of force on m2.

Therefore, ##\ m_2g-T=0\ .##

The vertical component of the acceleration of m2 is zero.

SammyS said:
No. T only gives the vertical component of force on m2.

Therefore, ##\ m_2g-T=0\ .##

The vertical component of the acceleration of m2 is zero.
Yes, that would have been the case if i had been looking for the solution and would have considered that ##m_2## should not descend, but as i stated in my last post "One, thing I noticed was that when the mass ##m_1## doesn't move, i.e. there is no force acting on it", which clearly says that I am not referring to the condition that the question wants, but another case where the block ##m_1## is stationary.

decentfellow said:
Yes, that would have been the case if i had been looking for the solution and would have considered that ##m_2## should not descend, but as i stated in my last post "One, thing I noticed was that when the mass ##m_1## doesn't move, i.e. there is no force acting on it", which clearly says that I am not referring to the condition that the question wants, but another case where the block ##m_1## is stationary.
Yes. Of course that's right.

I missed the change in conditions.

Related to Condition to not let the block descend

1. How does the condition to not let the block descend work?

The condition to not let the block descend is usually implemented in a computer program or game. It involves setting a specific rule or condition that prevents a block or object from falling or descending further. This can be programmed using various techniques such as collision detection, gravity simulation, or user input.

2. What are the benefits of using a condition to not let the block descend?

The main benefit of using a condition to not let the block descend is to prevent it from falling or moving down too far. This can be useful in games where the player needs to control the movement of the block, or in simulations where the block represents a physical object that needs to be kept in a certain position. It can also add an element of challenge and strategy to the game or program.

3. Can the condition to not let the block descend be applied to any type of block or object?

Yes, the condition to not let the block descend can be applied to any type of block or object in a computer program or game. It can be used for simple square blocks or more complex shapes, and can also be applied to characters or other interactive elements in a game.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a condition to not let the block descend?

One potential drawback to using a condition to not let the block descend is that it may make the game or program more complex to develop and maintain. It can also limit the natural behavior of the block or object, which may not always be desirable. Additionally, if not implemented properly, it can lead to glitches or unintended behavior in the game.

5. Can the condition to not let the block descend be combined with other conditions or rules?

Yes, the condition to not let the block descend can be combined with other conditions or rules in a computer program or game. This can allow for more complex and dynamic gameplay, where the block's movement is affected by multiple factors. For example, the block may only descend if a certain key is pressed, or if it collides with a specific object.