Condition for a compound to be meso

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condition
In summary, a compound must possess a plane of symmetry in order to be considered meso. However, if it contains a point of symmetry or alternate axis of symmetry instead of a plane, it may also be classified as meso. An example would be needed in order to confirm its classification.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

What should be the condition for a compound to be meso?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it should possesses a plane of symmetry. But what if it contains a point of symmetry or alternate axis of symmetry instead of plane. Will the compound be called meso?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

What should be the condition for a compound to be meso?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it should possesses a plane of symmetry. But what if it contains a point of symmetry...
Show me an example.
… or alternate axis of symmetry instead of plane. Will the compound be called meso?
Show me an example.

Related to Condition for a compound to be meso

1. What is a meso compound?

A meso compound is a type of stereoisomer that contains two or more chiral centers but is not optically active due to the presence of a plane of symmetry. This means that the molecule is superimposable on its mirror image.

2. What is a plane of symmetry?

A plane of symmetry is an imaginary plane that divides a molecule into two equal halves, each of which is a mirror image of the other. In a meso compound, the presence of a plane of symmetry results in the cancellation of the optical activity of the individual chiral centers.

3. What is the condition for a compound to be meso?

A compound must have two or more chiral centers and a plane of symmetry to be meso. This means that the molecule must be symmetric along at least one axis, with identical groups on either side of the plane of symmetry.

4. Can a compound with only one chiral center be meso?

No, a compound with only one chiral center cannot be meso. In order to be meso, a molecule must have two or more chiral centers and a plane of symmetry.

5. What are some examples of meso compounds?

Some examples of meso compounds include tartaric acid, meso-stilbene dibromide, and meso-tartaric acid. These molecules all have two or more chiral centers and a plane of symmetry, which makes them meso compounds.