Concerning spherical Bessel and Neumann functions

In summary: On Q2By reforming the equation with rho one gets a new differential equation and the solution is a combination of bessel and neumann. The question is how do I get thereYou explicitly state the potential function and solve the equation.
moriheru
When transforming the Schrodinger equation into sphericall coordinates one usually substitutes
psi(r,theta,phi) into the equation and ends up with something like this:

-h(bar)^2/2m* d^2/dr^2*[rR(r)]+[V(r)+(l(l+1)*h(bar)^2)/2mr^2]*[rR(r)]=E[r R(r)]

Question 1: How do I replace the Rnl(r) with rho?
Question 2: How do I get to Neumann functions and spherical Bessel?

Sorry for the top equation! Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Q1. depends on what rho is.
Q2. You explicitly state the potential function and solve the equation.

On Q1
One substitutes rho for (k*r) where k is 2mE^1/2/h(bar). Yet where is the kr does one reform the equation to get kr?
On Q2
By reforming the equation with rho one gets a new differential equation and the solution is a combination of bessel and neumann. The question is how do I get there

Last edited:
You get the kr from the solution, not the DE. You may need ##k=\frac{2m}{\hbar}\sqrt{E-V}## instead ;)
To get a solution, you need an explicit form for V(r).

See, for example, the atomic energy levels or a spherical infinite square well. (Look them up.)
If you suspect that the solution is a combination of specific functions, you can use their form as your proposed solution.

The reformed equation looks like this

d^2R(rho)/d(rho)^2+2/(rho)*dR(rho)/d(rho)+[1-l(l+1)/rho^2] R(rho)=0

and the solution is said to be:

R(rho)=Aj(rho)+Bn(rho) A and B are constants

and j(rho) are the spherical bessel functions

d^2R(rho)/d(rho)^2+2/(rho)*dR(rho)/d(rho)+[1-l(l+1)/rho^2] R(rho)=0
That would be: $$\frac{d^2}{d\rho^2} R(\rho) +\frac{2}{\rho}\frac{d}{d\rho} R(\rho) + \left[\frac{1-l(l+1)}{\rho^2}\right] R(\rho) = 0$$

Notice how there is no ##V## in the reformed equation? Where did it go?
Notice how the form of the DE? Look familiar?

However:
There is not enough information to help you.
Please state the complete problem.

I think I have got it Rnl(r) where nl is the subscript and l the angular quantum number gamma max If I remember correctly, has the index n and one can remove the n and so Rnl(r) becomes Rl(kr)??

The potential is assumed to be zero, to keep things simple.

So you are finding the wavefunction for a free particle in spherical coordinates?

I am trying to solve for the radial part of the spherical Schrodinger equation (BTW thanks for all replies this is a hellish question!).

moriheru said:
By reforming the equation with rho one gets a new differential equation and the solution is a combination of bessel and neumann. The question is how do I get there

Do you mean: "How do I rewrite the Schrödinger equation so it uses rho instead of r?" or "How do I solve the rewritten Schrödinger equation?"

Actually both but first of all the first. But I think the first can be answerd by looking at the index of the R?!

I have just written the deriviation so things may be clearer:

8e68702e9a85d609b6af5b46ae2e7b66.png

inserting the spherical laplacian

Epsi(r)=-h(bar)^2/2m(1/rd^2/dr^2r-(1/h(bar)^2r^2)L^2-h(bar)^2/2m*1/r*d^2/dr^2*rpsi(r)+1/2mr^2L^2psi(r)+V(r)psi(r)=E *psi(r)

substituting psi(r,theta,phi)
gives the above...

You need to be more clear - it seems that you're trying to find the solutions of the Schrodinger equation in a region with a zero or constant potential, but people are having to read your mind.

moriheru said:
On Q1
One substitutes rho for (k*r) where k is 2mE^1/2/h(bar). Yet where is the kr does one reform the equation to get kr?
On Q2

In your first post, you said that you have:

[tex]
-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}\left( rR(r) \right) + \left( \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2} \right)rR(r) = ErR(r) \\
\Rightarrow -\frac{\hbar^2}{2mE}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}R(r) - \frac{\hbar^2}{mEr}\frac{d}{dr}R(r) + \left( \frac{\hbar^2}{2mE}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2} - 1 \right)R(r) = 0
[/tex]

where I've carried out the derivative, divided by Er, I'm only considering V=0 in this problem (since I'm pretty sure this is what you want). Now you want to substitute [itex]\rho = kr = (\sqrt{2mE}/\hbar)r[/itex]. This is straight-forward for the last part in the parenthesis, so I'm guessing you're just having trouble with the derivative terms. I'll give you a big hint by reminding you of how changing coordinates changes derivatives (this is basically the product rule):

[tex]\frac{d}{dr} = \frac{d\rho}{dr} \frac{d}{d\rho} = k\frac{d}{d\rho}[/tex]

Using this for the derivative terms should give you what you're looking for.

Yes it works thanks!

Related to Concerning spherical Bessel and Neumann functions

1. What are spherical Bessel and Neumann functions?

Spherical Bessel and Neumann functions are mathematical functions used in spherical coordinates to describe the behavior of waves and particles. They are closely related to Bessel and Neumann functions, which are used in cylindrical coordinates.

2. What is the difference between Bessel and Neumann functions and spherical Bessel and Neumann functions?

The main difference is the coordinate system in which they are used. Bessel and Neumann functions are used in cylindrical coordinates, which describe systems with cylindrical symmetry. Spherical Bessel and Neumann functions are used in spherical coordinates, which describe systems with spherical symmetry.

3. What is the significance of spherical Bessel and Neumann functions in physics?

Spherical Bessel and Neumann functions are important in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and acoustics. They are used to describe the behavior of waves and particles in systems with spherical symmetry.

4. How are spherical Bessel and Neumann functions calculated?

Spherical Bessel and Neumann functions can be calculated using a variety of methods, including series expansions, recursion relations, and numerical methods. They are also available as built-in functions in many mathematical software packages.

5. Can spherical Bessel and Neumann functions be used for systems without spherical symmetry?

While spherical Bessel and Neumann functions are most commonly used for systems with spherical symmetry, they can also be applied to systems without this symmetry. However, in these cases, other mathematical techniques may be more appropriate for describing the behavior of waves and particles.