Conceptual Question From Stat Mech

In summary, the conversation discusses why it takes longer to cool water in a refrigerator compared to air, assuming that the initial temperatures are the same. The solution proposed is that the gas molecules in air dissipate energy faster than the liquid molecules in water, which explains why water cools slower. The conversation also brings up the use of a fridge and the possibility of sealing the air in a cup to prevent it from reaching the same temperature as the fridge.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

[/B]
Why does it take longer to cool water in a refrigerator than it takes to cool air, assuming that the inside of the refrigerator is initially at the same temperature as the room it is in?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Quite frankly I don't even know if my intuition for the problem is correct (that wording is verbatim of the assignment sheet). My thought is that the water is a liquid and air is a gas so the gas molecules are bumping into the walls and each other dissipating energy faster than the water making the water cool slower. But I don't see the point of the "refrigerator" in this problem... namely... if the inside of the refrigerator is the same temp as the air in the room, it's just a box.. any help?

Thanks![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it's kindof a poorly worded question, ambiguous, and I would assume it's trying to ask:
"If you put a cup, of negligible thickness(say plastic), of water in a frig, and a cup of air in same frig (and somehow kept the air in the cup, e.g., sealed the cup with cellophane), why does it... [...continued as above]?"

I assume they are sealing the air in with cellophane or it would diffuse out into the cold frig air and come to the frig temp fairly quickly.

Related to Conceptual Question From Stat Mech

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of large systems of particles, such as molecules and atoms. It combines concepts from classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and probability theory to understand the properties of matter at a microscopic level.

2. What is the difference between statistical mechanics and thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics deals with macroscopic systems and their overall properties, such as temperature and heat transfer. Statistical mechanics, on the other hand, focuses on the microscopic behavior of individual particles and how they contribute to the macroscopic properties observed in thermodynamics.

3. What is the significance of entropy in statistical mechanics?

Entropy is a key concept in statistical mechanics. It refers to the measure of disorder or randomness in a system. In statistical mechanics, entropy is related to the number of microstates (possible arrangements of particles) that correspond to a given macrostate (observed properties). This allows us to understand how a system evolves from a state of order to a state of disorder.

4. How does statistical mechanics relate to quantum mechanics?

Statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics are closely related as they both deal with the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. In statistical mechanics, the behavior of particles is described using classical mechanics principles, while in quantum mechanics, particles are described using wave functions and probability distributions. Statistical mechanics can be used to derive thermodynamic properties from quantum mechanical principles.

5. What are some applications of statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics has numerous applications in various fields, such as chemistry, materials science, and astrophysics. It is used to understand the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, as well as phase transitions between these states of matter. It is also applied in the study of complex systems, such as biological systems and social systems.