Conceptual question about internal energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of internal energy and its potential to be negative. The individual initially believed that internal energy should always be positive, but their teacher and classmates disagreed. They also mention a similar discussion surrounding entropy. The individual wants to clarify their understanding and gain insight from others on how internal energy and entropy can be negative.
Telemachus
Hi there. Here is the deal, today morning in my thermodynamic class we were making some exercises of stability, and then surged a question about internal energy. The thing is I thought that the internal energy should be always positive in sign. This doesn't mean that the variation must be positive, what I thought is that internal energy as a "thing" must be positive, as volume must be positive. But my teacher and some of my classmates refuted me. But it still not clear to me how is that internal energy can be negative, at that moment I said that it depends on a reference frame condescending with the others opinions, as the potential energy does depends on a reference frame (now this is not clear to me because potential energy is transformed in kinetic energy). But anyway I want to clarify the concepts, so I wanted to start a debate an read some opinions of yours about this, maybe you can give me an example that make this clear. I still in doubt about this, because if I think on the second principle energy can't be created nor destroyed, so how can it be negative? I mean, I can't take energy out of a system, but that doesn't mean there is such a thing as "negative energy". The same discussion was stated about entropy, my classmates and the teacher said that it could be negative. We weren't talking about variations, we were talking about the internal energy and the entropy as entities.

Bye, and thanks for posting.

Sorry, I shouldn't post this here. If it can be moved to the proper section I'll be thanked.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example: suppose I consider internal energy to be composed of kinetic energy, and gravitational potential energy. Now I chill some hydrogen atoms to nearly absolute zero, so they have nearly no kinetic energy. Since the zero point for potential energy is arbitrary, I arbitrarily define the atoms to have -10^9 J of potential energy. My hydrogen atoms now have an energy of -10^9 J.

Thanks.

Related to Conceptual question about internal energy

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system due to its microscopic particles, such as atoms and molecules, and their interactions.

2. How is internal energy different from heat and work?

Internal energy is the sum of all types of energy within a system, including kinetic energy, potential energy, and chemical energy. Heat and work, on the other hand, are forms of energy transfer into or out of a system. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting on an object.

3. What factors affect the internal energy of a system?

The internal energy of a system is affected by the temperature, pressure, and composition of the system, as well as any energy transfers in or out of the system, such as heat and work.

4. How is the internal energy of a closed system conserved?

According to the first law of thermodynamics, the internal energy of a closed system is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred into or out of the system in the form of heat or work.

5. What is the relationship between internal energy and entropy?

The internal energy of a system is related to its entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the system's particles. As the internal energy of a system increases, so does its entropy, and vice versa. This is known as the second law of thermodynamics.