Conceptual Question about Equivalent Resistance

In summary, The equivalent resistance for circuits A and B is the same, regardless of the way they are drawn. The equation for calculating equivalent resistance in parallel circuits is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2. It is important to note that parallel circuits do not necessarily mean the resistances are physically parallel.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I don't quite understand how to read circuit diagrams, so I'm not sure how to find the equivalent resistance in some cases.

What is the equivalent resistance of circuits A and B?

I drew a picture to help me explain what I'm talking about:
Circuits.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know circuit B is definitely in parallel, so the equivalent resistance is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

But is circuit A in parallel, too? I think it is but I'm not 100 % sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
What is the equivalent resistance of circuits A and B?

I drew a picture to help me explain what I'm talking about:
Circuits.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know circuit B is definitely in parallel, so the equivalent resistance is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

But is circuit A in parallel, too? I think it is but I'm not 100 % sure.
You are correct -- the two circuits are absolutely equivalent. It does not matter how you draw the resistance R2 as long as it is there somewhere between the two points where the wires from R2 join the wire containing R1.

"Parallel" does not mean that the resistances have to be literally parallel.

Hello! It's great that you're trying to understand circuit diagrams and equivalent resistance. Let me explain a bit more about how to read circuit diagrams and how to find the equivalent resistance in different cases.

First, let's talk about circuit diagrams. They are a visual representation of a circuit, showing the connections between the different components. The lines connecting the components represent wires, and the symbols represent different elements such as resistors, batteries, and switches.

Now, to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit, you need to understand how the components are connected. In circuit A, the resistors are in series, meaning they are connected one after the other in a single path. In this case, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the resistors. So the equivalent resistance of circuit A is R1 + R2 + R3.

In circuit B, the resistors are in parallel, meaning they are connected at both ends. In this case, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula you mentioned, 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2. So the equivalent resistance of circuit B is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3.

I hope this helps you understand how to find the equivalent resistance in different circuits. Remember, it's important to first understand how the components are connected in order to correctly calculate the equivalent resistance. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it!

Related to Conceptual Question about Equivalent Resistance

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance refers to the total resistance of a circuit or a combination of resistors. It is a single resistance value that can replace multiple resistors in a circuit without changing the overall current or voltage.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance depends on the type of resistors in the circuit. For resistors in series, the equivalent resistance is the sum of all individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, the inverse of the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of the inverses of all individual resistances.

3. Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them more easily. It also helps in determining the overall power consumption and efficiency of a circuit.

4. How does the addition of resistors affect equivalent resistance?

In a series circuit, adding more resistors increases the equivalent resistance, as the current has to flow through each resistor sequentially. In a parallel circuit, adding more resistors decreases the equivalent resistance, as the current can split and flow through multiple paths.

5. Can the equivalent resistance ever be lower than the lowest individual resistance?

No, the equivalent resistance can never be lower than the lowest individual resistance. This is because the total resistance of a circuit can never be less than the resistance of any individual component in the circuit. In parallel circuits, the equivalent resistance can approach but never be less than the lowest individual resistance.