Conceptual explanation for ΔS=Q/T

In summary, the equation ΔS=Q/T is used to solve problems related to changes in entropy. While it may not be intuitive, it is based on empirical observation and can be further understood through a conceptual explanation, as discussed in the Physics Forums Insights article "Understanding Entropy and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics."
Cole
So understand how to solve a problem using the equation: ΔS=Q/T

But is there a conceptual explanation for why the equation works. And I'm not looking for a proof, but I simply want to understand why this equation should be intuitive.

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cole said:
So understand how to solve a problem using the equation: ΔS=Q/T

But is there a conceptual explanation for why the equation works. And I'm not looking for a proof, but I simply want to understand why this equation should be intuitive.

Thanks for your time!
It's not that intuitive, and it is based on empirical observation.
See my Physics Forums Insights Article: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-entropy-2nd-law-thermodynamics/

Related to Conceptual explanation for ΔS=Q/T

1. What is the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the amount of energy that is no longer available for useful work.

2. How is entropy related to heat and temperature?

The equation ΔS=Q/T represents the relationship between entropy (ΔS), heat transfer (Q), and temperature (T). It states that the change in entropy of a system is equal to the heat transfer divided by the temperature at which the transfer occurs.

3. What does a positive ΔS value indicate?

A positive change in entropy (ΔS) indicates an increase in disorder or randomness within a system. This can occur through processes such as mixing, melting, or vaporization.

4. How does entropy relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will tend to disperse and become less organized, leading to an increase in entropy. The equation ΔS=Q/T is a mathematical representation of this law.

5. Can entropy ever decrease?

In a closed system, the total entropy will always increase or remain constant. However, it is possible for the entropy of one part of the system to decrease, as long as there is an overall increase in the entropy of the entire system.