Concept of heating gas on pressure.

In summary: Pressure is the force per unit area. Force is the momentum-delivered / time-taken-to-deliver-it. Momentum-delivered is the momentum-delivered-per-impact.
chewchun
I'm a little confused.

Lets say i have a rigid,non-expandable container.

If i heat the container,the gas molecules gain Kinetic energy.
I initially learned that the gas molecules will hit the wall with a larger force,hence larger pressure.But F=MA,so the gas molecules are accelerating?But what if they are not accelerating(high temperature,but not increasing temperature)?

I later learned that it is the increase in number of frequent effective collision per unit time with the wall.But Pressure=Force/Area. So there is a relationship between force and frequency??

Science news on Phys.org
A molecule is accelerated every time it bounces off a wall. The greater its speed the greater that acceleration. Best to think of it in terms of momentum. Each bounce (on average) gives an impact proportional to the speed. As you say, the rate of impacts also increases with speed, so the pressure grows as the square of the speed. This is consistent with the fact that the kinetic energy per molecule grows with square of speed, and the temperature is a measure of the energy per (state per) molecule.

chewchun..

Acceleration is defined as a change of velocity. Velocity, unlike speed, has a directional components... So changing direction = changing velocity = acceleration.

chewchun said:
I later learned that it is the increase in number of frequent effective collision per unit time with the wall.But Pressure=Force/Area. So there is a relationship between force and frequency??

Clearly. A rapid fire machine gun is more destructive than a single shot rifle. More bullets per second on target.

Each particle applies an impulse to the wall as it bounces off. An impulse is defined as the force multiplied by the time over which it occurs. In the case of molecules bouncing off the wall of a box the "time over which it occurs" is the interval between impacts.

Perhaps see
http://zonalandeducation.com/mstm/p...um/introductoryProblems/momentumSummary2.html

CWatters said:
Each particle applies an impulse to the wall as it bounces off. An impulse is defined as the force multiplied by the time over which it occurs. In the case of molecules bouncing off the wall of a box the "time over which it occurs" is the interval between impacts.

I think I see where you were going with this, but to me it reads misleadingly.

Each particle applies an impulse to the wall as it bounces off. Impulse is defined as the force multiplied by the time over which it occurs. The "time over which it occurs" for the impulse delivered by a particular molecule is the duration of the impact of that molecule with the wall, not the interval until the next impact. That figure is, of course, not very relevant.

pressure = force / area

force = momentum-delivered / time-taken-to-deliver-it

momentum-delivered = momentum-delivered-per-impact
* impacts-per-unit-time-per-unit-area
* time-taken-to-deliver-it
* area

Accordingly...

pressure = impacts-per-unit-time-per-unit-area * momentum-delivered-per-impact

jbriggs444 said:
I think I see where you were going with this, but to me it reads misleadingly.

Each particle applies an impulse to the wall as it bounces off. Impulse is defined as the force multiplied by the time over which it occurs. The "time over which it occurs" for the impulse delivered by a particular molecule is the duration of the impact of that molecule with the wall, not the interval until the next impact.

Ah well yes ok but it makes no difference if you assume a high force/short duration or a low force/long duration impact. What matters is the area under the curve if you get what I mean.

Related to Concept of heating gas on pressure.

1. How does pressure affect the heating of gas?

As pressure increases, the molecules in a gas become more tightly packed together. This results in more frequent collisions between the molecules, which causes an increase in kinetic energy and therefore an increase in temperature.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and pressure in a gas?

The relationship between temperature and pressure in a gas is known as Gay-Lussac's Law. It states that at a constant volume, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature in Kelvin.

3. Can gas be heated without increasing pressure?

Yes, gas can be heated without increasing pressure. This can be done by adding heat to the gas, which increases the kinetic energy of the molecules and therefore the temperature. However, if the gas is in a closed container, the pressure will also increase slightly due to the increase in temperature.

4. How does heating gas on pressure affect its volume?

According to Boyle's Law, at a constant temperature, the volume of a gas is inversely proportional to the pressure. This means that as pressure increases, the volume of the gas will decrease, and vice versa.

5. What happens to the pressure and temperature of a gas when it is heated in a closed container?

When a gas is heated in a closed container, both the pressure and temperature of the gas will increase. This is because the increased temperature causes the molecules to have more kinetic energy and therefore collide with the container walls more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.