Concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium

In summary, this conversation discusses an equilibrium reaction involving iron, water vapor, and an excess of iron oxide. The equilibrium constant (Kc) is 4.6 @ 850 degrees C and the goal is to determine the concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium. The initial amount of H2 used, as well as the volume of the container, are given. Using the Ideal Gas Equation and taking into account the moles of H2 consumed and water vapor produced, the final pressures of both gases can be calculated. It is important to include all relevant substances in the equilibrium equation and to note that the concentrations of H2 and water vapor are not necessarily equal.
Mag
3 Fe (S) + 4 H2O (g) = Fe3O4 + 4 H2 (g)

This equilibrium has a Kc of 4.6 @ 850 degree C. Determine the concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium if the reaction is initiated using 8.00 grams H2 and an excess of iron oxide, fe3O4, in a 16.0 liter container.

This is what I have so far:

Kc =

^4 / [H20]^4

4.6 = [0.25]^4 / X^4

X = [0.170697] H2, Since this is a one:eek:ne reaction then the concentration of the water vapor would equal the concentration of H2, correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
SO, from PV=nRT,
I get 2.3 atm for the pressure of H2
(using 1123.15 K, and R = 0.00821 L atm/mol K, V = 16 L)

From that I get (2.3)^4 / 4.6 = p(H2O)^4

using my calculator tells me that p(H20) is 3.37 atm.

Because it is 1:1 in the equation means that IF the reaction went to completion, then there will be an amount of oxygen (in moles) equal to the former amount of hydrogen (in moles). But, the reaction did bot go to completion. That's why they gave you the equilibrium constant.

edit: I don't know where I got O2 from :), I replaced it with H20, and apparently my calculator doesn't do quarter roots very well.

Last edited:
Mag said:
3 Fe (S) + 4 H2O (g) = Fe3O4 + 4 H2 (g)

This equilibrium has a Kc of 4.6 @ 850 degree C. Determine the concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium if the reaction is initiated using 8.00 grams H2 and an excess of iron oxide, fe3O4, in a 16.0 liter container.

This is what I have so far:

Kc =

^4 / [H20]^4

4.6 = [0.25]^4 / X^4

X = [0.170697] H2, Since this is a one:eek:ne reaction then the concentration of the water vapor would equal the concentration of H2, correct?

No !

The moles of water vapor produced = moles of H2 consumed. If the initial partial pressure of H2 is P (this can be calculated from the Ideal Gas Equation), then the final pressures are P(H2) = P - X and P(H2O) = X.

The product of the reaction is water vapor and thus it should be the numerator in the equilibrium Kc equation. Also , I believe you need to include iron oxide in the equilibrium equation (unless in solid form). Due to these factors and also mathematical principles and situational variations it is not correct to say that the concentrations are equal.

hope this helps

-------
Online help with chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium

1. What is meant by "concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium"?

The concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium refers to the amount of water molecules that are present in the air when the rate of evaporation equals the rate of condensation. This is known as the equilibrium point, where the concentration of water vapor remains constant.

2. How is the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium measured?

The concentration of water vapor at equilibrium is typically measured using a device called a hygrometer. This instrument measures the humidity in the air, which is directly related to the concentration of water vapor present at equilibrium.

3. What factors can affect the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium?

Several factors can influence the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium, such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other gases in the air. These factors can impact the rate of evaporation and condensation, thus altering the equilibrium point.

4. Why is the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium important?

The concentration of water vapor at equilibrium is important because it plays a crucial role in the Earth's water cycle. It determines the amount of water vapor that can be held in the air, which can impact weather patterns and precipitation. It is also important for understanding the overall water balance in a given environment.

5. How does the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium relate to relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air compared to the maximum amount that the air can hold at a given temperature. Therefore, the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium is directly related to relative humidity. When the concentration of water vapor at equilibrium increases, so does the relative humidity, and vice versa.