Comsol - Negative Concentrations

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the person is asking for help with a problem they are encountering while using COMSOL in groundwater studies. They are experiencing negative concentrations in their model and are seeking advice on how to resolve this issue. They have searched for solutions on the COMSOL website but do not have a license key to access the response. They are asking for any suggestions or advice from others who may have encountered a similar problem.
slow_flow
Hello All -

I use COMSOL in the context of groundwater (Earth Sciences Module). I have run across a problem where I am representing, instead of a point source of pollution, a quadralateral geometry (2D) pollutant source (constant concentration source). COMSOL is constantly computing negative concentrations (which become more negative with time) in my flow field as a solution. Has anyone run across this problem before?

I searched and found this issue as a common problem under COMSOL's website but I do not have a license key (I use COMSOL on a public terminal) to read the response.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with using COMSOL in groundwater studies. I have not personally encountered the specific issue you are facing, but I have encountered similar issues with negative concentrations in other modeling software. From my experience, this can often be attributed to numerical errors in the model setup or the solver settings.

I would suggest checking your model setup to ensure that all parameters and boundary conditions are correctly defined and that there are no errors or inconsistencies. It may also be helpful to adjust the solver settings, such as the time step size and convergence criteria, to see if that improves the results.

I understand that you do not have a license key to access the response on the COMSOL website, but you may be able to find some helpful information by searching for similar issues on other forums or by reaching out to the COMSOL support team for assistance.

I hope this helps and I wish you success in resolving this issue. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Related to Comsol - Negative Concentrations

1. What are negative concentrations in Comsol and why do they occur?

Negative concentrations in Comsol refer to a situation where the value of a concentration variable is below zero. This can occur when the model involves reactions or processes that have a reverse reaction, resulting in a negative concentration for the reactants.

2. How can negative concentrations be handled in Comsol simulations?

There are several ways to handle negative concentrations in Comsol. One approach is to use a log transformation to convert the concentrations to a logarithmic scale. Another option is to add a small positive value to the concentration to avoid negative values. It is also important to carefully examine the model setup and make sure all reactions and boundary conditions are correctly defined.

3. Can negative concentrations affect the accuracy of Comsol simulations?

Yes, negative concentrations can affect the accuracy of Comsol simulations. This is because they can lead to unphysical results and violate the mass conservation principle. It is important to carefully analyze the model and make any necessary adjustments to avoid negative concentrations.

4. Are there any specific applications or systems where negative concentrations are commonly encountered?

Negative concentrations can occur in a variety of applications and systems. Some common examples include chemical reactions with reverse reactions, diffusion processes with a source and sink, and biological systems with feedback mechanisms. They can also be encountered in multiphysics simulations involving multiple processes or phenomena.

5. How can negative concentrations be visualized in Comsol?

Negative concentrations can be visualized in Comsol by using the "Log10" function in the plot settings. This will convert the concentrations to a logarithmic scale and allow for visualization of negative values. It is also important to carefully check the results and make sure they make physical sense when negative concentrations are present.