Computing the value of an integral from Apostol I

In summary, The notation [x] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to x. This can be illustrated by the function looking like a staircase and the integral can be computed by adding the areas underneath each step. The notation is used to represent the greatest integer when x is not an integer itself.
Press90

Homework Statement

The notation [x] denotes the greatest integer <= x

"integral sign" with a lower limit of -1 and a upper limit of 3 [x] dx

Homework Equations

I would like to know how to enter symbols for certain problems.

I am lost when Apostol says "the notation [x] denotes the greatest integer <= x", i partially understand what he means.

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
the notation [x] denotes the greatest integer <= x; means exactly what is said.
[x] denotes the greatest integer less than or equal to x.
[2.1] = 2 [2.9] =2

Because 2 is the largest integer less than 2.1 and 2.9.The function when plotted looks like a staircase. You can compute the integral simply by adding the areas underneath the step; accounting for negative and positive area, ofcourse.

The integral should be something like 2 if I am not mistaken.

Let me give you a concrete example to illustrate [x]

[3.4] means the greatest integer that is less than or equal to 3.4 which is 3

The equal to is used when x is an integer itself, so

[3] = 3

thanks for the explanation guys

Related to Computing the value of an integral from Apostol I

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used in calculus to solve problems related to finding the total change or accumulation of a quantity over a specific interval.

2. What is the value of an integral?

The value of an integral is a numerical quantity that represents the area under a curve. It is usually expressed as a decimal or fraction and can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the specific problem being solved.

3. How do you compute the value of an integral?

The value of an integral can be computed using various methods, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and numerical integration. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What is Apostol I?

Apostol I is a textbook on mathematical analysis written by mathematician Tom M. Apostol. It is a commonly used reference for calculus and covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series.

5. Are there any tips for computing the value of an integral from Apostol I?

Some tips for computing the value of an integral from Apostol I include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the appropriate method for solving, and double-checking the solution using different methods if possible. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common integrals and their solutions.