Computing stress in hollow shaft

In summary, to calculate stress in a hollow shaft, you would need to know its external and internal diameters, applied torque, and length. The equation used is τ = (T*r)/J, where τ is the shear stress, T is the applied torque, r is the radius, and J is the polar moment of inertia. Tensile stress occurs when a force pulls an object, while compressive stress occurs when a force pushes it. Assumptions made when calculating stress in a hollow shaft include homogeneity, isotropy, and constant cross-sectional area, with no external forces other than the applied torque. The material of the hollow shaft can greatly impact its stress properties, with different materials having different strengths and stiffnesses. The
togo

Homework Statement

An alloy steel shaft has an outside diameter of 100 mm. A central hole of 60 mm diameter is bored in part of its length as shown. Compute the shearing stress in the hollow section if the stress in the solid section is 200 MPa.

126bqiq.jpg

Homework Equations

angle = TL/GJ

t = torque
L = length of shaft
G = Shearing strain, megapascals
J = [piD^4/32] = 987477 - 1272345 = -284868 ? (this doesn't seem right)

The Attempt at a Solution

Above, and looking for some general direction on that attempt. My guess is to generate two formulas for the shaft out of the above formula, with one side of the formula including the unknown "G" shearing strain which is what we're looking for?

Or should the formula Tmax = Tc/J be used? (T= torque, c = radius, J = piD^4/32)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for shear stress, not shear strain, so it is not necessary to know G. You can use Tc/J to calculate shear stress, but you first need to calculate T for the solid part using the J of a solid shaft you must calculate, then calculate the shear stress for the hollow part using the appropriate calculated value of J for a hollow cross section.

thats strange because my instructor used the above formula to solve the problem.

He used

T1L1/G1J1 = T2L2/G2J2

T1J2/J1 - T2 = 0

togo said:
thats strange because my instructor used the above formula to solve the problem.

He used

T1L1/G1J1 = T2L2/G2J2

T1J2/J1 - T2 = 0
Very strange. This equation states that T1 and T2 are not equal. But a free body diagram cut through any section will show that T1 = T2 = T

Ok. I just don't know where to go with it. This is what I have so far:

Two J values:
J solid = 9817477 mm^4
J hollow = 8545132 mm^4

200 MPa = T (50 mm) / 9817477 = T (20 mm) / 8545132

are those numbers right? Something tells me this should be algebraically solved and then have numbers pumped into it. Thanks

(T should cancel out right?)

togo said:
Ok. I just don't know where to go with it. This is what I have so far:

Two J values:
J solid = 9817477 mm^4
J hollow = 8545132 mm^4

200 MPa = T (50 mm) / 9817477 = T (20 mm) / 8545132

are those numbers right? Something tells me this should be algebraically solved and then have numbers pumped into it. Thanks

(T should cancel out right?)
I haven't checked your math for the J values, but beyond that, you have a couple of errors. The 'c' value for the hollow shaft is not 20 mm. The value of 'c' is the distance from the centroid of the section to the outermost fibers. And the max stresses in each section are not equal. You should solve for T in the solid shaft, then solve for max stress in the hollow shaft using that value of T.

Related to Computing stress in hollow shaft

1. How do you calculate stress in a hollow shaft?

To calculate stress in a hollow shaft, you would need to know the external and internal diameters of the shaft, as well as the applied torque and the length of the shaft. Then, you can use the equation τ = (T*r)/J, where τ is the shear stress, T is the applied torque, r is the radius of the shaft, and J is the polar moment of inertia (π*(R^4-r^4)/2).

2. What is the difference between tensile stress and compressive stress?

Tensile stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied in a direction away from the object, causing it to elongate. Compressive stress, on the other hand, occurs when a force is applied in a direction towards the object, causing it to compress. Tensile stress is often referred to as "pulling" stress, while compressive stress is referred to as "pushing" stress.

3. Are there any assumptions made when calculating stress in a hollow shaft?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when calculating stress in a hollow shaft. These include assuming that the shaft is homogeneous and isotropic, that the cross-sectional area remains constant, and that there are no external forces acting on the shaft other than the applied torque.

4. How does the material of the hollow shaft affect its stress properties?

The material of the hollow shaft can greatly impact its stress properties. Different materials have different strengths and stiffnesses, which can affect how much stress the shaft can withstand before failure. For example, a steel shaft will have a higher yield strength and stiffness than an aluminum shaft of the same dimensions, making it more resistant to stress.

5. Can you use the same equation to calculate stress in a solid shaft?

No, the equation for calculating stress in a hollow shaft cannot be used for a solid shaft. This is because the polar moment of inertia (J) is different for a solid shaft than a hollow shaft, and therefore the equation would not provide accurate results. For a solid shaft, a different equation, τ = (T*r)/I, would need to be used, where I is the moment of inertia (π*(r^4)/4).