Computer Spyware & PFs: What Do You Think?

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary: . I think we can all agree that spyware is never a good thing, and we are all committed to rooting it out wherever we find it.
Imparcticle
My computer contracted a serious case of spyware recently, and had to be taken to a computer workshop to get it fixed. The person who did the fixing apparently gave my sister (who was handling the situation) the idea that physicsforums is probably the reason why we're getting so much spyware problems. What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF has no spyware. It's just a vBulletin forum like thousands of others.

- Warren

The archives have some nasty spyware from their pop-ups, I'm pretty sure of that.

If you do have spyware problems either ad-aware or spybot (both free) will get rid of them.

I think you may be right, jcsd. We're looking into it.

I have found that PestPatrol gets rid of spyware that Ad-aware can not.

There's no spyware in these main forums, as chroot said.

All spyware on the archives have been remedied, I apologize for any inconvenience.

Greg Bernhardt said:
All spyware on the archives have been remedied, I apologize for any inconvenience.

I haven't questioned the policy of this forum before, but I would like to know why were there spyware in the first place? Was it something included by an advertizer? [I boycott all businesses engaging in such dubious and annoying form of advertizing, including pop-up's]

Is there a conscious effort to make sure no part of PF carries anything that has spywares?

Thanks.

Zz.

It was an accident. Greg was using a banner-ad company and didn't realize they began using dubious practices to increase their revenue. Not all of the ads contained spyware, so we weren't sure at first if the ad company was really at fault. As soon as we were sure, we removed the ads.

We certainly did not intend to support spyware.

- Warren

chroot said:
It was an accident. Greg was using a banner-ad company and didn't realize they began using dubious practices to increase their revenue. Not all of the ads contained spyware, so we weren't sure at first if the ad company was really at fault. As soon as we were sure, we removed the ads.

We certainly did not intend to support spyware.

- Warren

Can you give the name of 'banner-ad company?

PF members can then see that the PF has no policy or "hidden-agenda" of its own, I do not want to think that P-Forum is deliberetly intruding into members computers?

If you blame, you should shame!..or some 'paranoids' may speculate that it is PF itself :rolleyes: ..but is stating it is "banner-ad company".

To know is to clarify.

We had been through this issue once before.

The point about advertising has to do with google's adware, as I use them as well. One of those spyware is "adware." but I have numerous others that I will start to cateloque.

The responses this time around are a little different it seems :smile:

Related to Computer Spyware & PFs: What Do You Think?

1. What is computer spyware?

Computer spyware is a type of malicious software that is designed to gather information from a computer system without the user's knowledge or consent. This can include sensitive information such as login credentials, browsing history, and personal data.

2. How does computer spyware infect a computer?

Computer spyware can infect a computer through various methods, such as downloading infected files or software, clicking on malicious links, or opening infected email attachments. It can also be installed through vulnerabilities in a computer's security system.

3. What are the potential risks of computer spyware?

The risks of computer spyware include identity theft, financial fraud, loss of sensitive information, and compromised computer performance. It can also lead to unauthorized access to a computer system, allowing hackers to control and manipulate the device.

4. How can I protect my computer from spyware?

To protect your computer from spyware, it is important to have up-to-date antivirus and anti-spyware software installed. You should also be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links from unknown sources. It is also recommended to regularly scan your computer for any potential threats.

5. How can I remove spyware from my computer?

To remove spyware from your computer, you can use anti-spyware software to scan and remove any infections. You can also manually remove spyware by deleting suspicious files and programs, clearing your browser history and cookies, and resetting your web browser settings.